SkyscraperCity banner

981 - 1000 of 7327 Posts

·
For the Horde.
846 Posts
My turn!

Floor 106 of WTC 1 in 1974, shortly before Windows on the World moved in.

October 14, 1976

1972, shortly after completion.

1977, the day after the infamous Blackout.

·
For the Horde.
846 Posts
Interior picture goldmine

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this album is a goldmine of photos around and even inside the complex, circa 1975.

http://tinyurl.com/3kqworf

Here's a preview..

^ Here's an example of where stairs were installed between two floors (by cutting through the floorplate). If memory serves correctly, this was done for a number of tenants, but unlike WTC 7, entire floors were not removed because it would have compromised the structural integrity of the tower.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this album is a goldmine of photos around and even inside the complex, circa 1975.

http://tinyurl.com/3kqworf

Here's a preview..
Amazing! And the quality is fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Here is some of my favorites from that website.

I don't think this is "Windows" but the PANYNJ employee lounge/cafeteria on the 43rd 1 World Trade Center.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,289 Posts
Those photos Chapelo and Shield Castle posted show what offices used to be like in the 70s - dial phones, no computers, manual typewriters, card index files, adding machines - even if the WTC was still here, they would be historic documents.

Quite honestly though, it doesn't seem like a very pleasant work environment - the combination of low ceilings and wide floor plates must have made some of the desks close to the central core seem as if they were in a basement.

·
Regulator
392 Posts
Some amazing photos here.

You can only imagine how full of papers and books most offices were and the amount that flew out from windows. I recall watching an interview with a nearby resident a few blocks away who had Cantor Fitzgerald papers fly in and even a computer flew in as the North Tower collapsed.

The stairs in that room with a rug look nice. Seems to be a psychiatrist's office or similar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quite honestly though, it doesn't seem like a very pleasant work environment - the combination of low ceilings and wide floor plates must have made some of the desks close to the central core seem as if they were in a basement.
I agree. I loved what the WTC stood for and the atmosphere but, in general it was dark, cold and very uninviting. Of cause the 70's darker colours doesn't help that problem. I know that was a struggle that a lot of people involved in the planning and construction later admitted.

Anyway, with the help of a cool website. I have been able to link you the website of the World Trade Center as it looked on April 13th 2001 . Pretty cool stuff. You can get phone numbers, see available office space, prices and store hours etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010413023920/http://www.panynj.gov/wtc/wtcfram.HTM

Here is the "On Stage" (The plaza stage) at the World Trade Center Event schedule around 9/11:
Visa Presents Evening Stars
OnStage at the Twin Towers
September 5-16, 2001
7 p.m.

This free festival presents some of the world's most highly acclaimed dancers.

September 5 Ronald K. Brown/Evidence
September 6 Rennie Harris Puremovement & Urban Bush Women
September 7 Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo
September 8 Twyla Tharp Dance
September 10 David Gordon Pick Up Company
September 11 Parsons Dance Company
September 12 Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company
September 13 Trisha Brown Dance Company
September 14 Dance Theatre of Harlem
September 15 Garth Fagan Dance Company
September 16 Paul Taylor Dance Company
And a bonus. Check out this cool vid made by Dan Meth. Greate tribute! http://vimeo.com/danmeth/twintowercameos

:)

·
N.Y.Panoman
234 Posts
The Original pan was taken 9/6/01 and the second pan was taken 2/2002 and the last pan was taken 9/2 2011. yes they were all taken in the morning.And thank you everyone for your comments

·
Liverpool, England.
12,289 Posts
I guess people forget that the WTC was a 70s office building and that one of its main selling points at the time was the amount of column free office space that it provided and the fact that this had been made possible both by the structural system and the use of air conditioning which allowed the core of the building to be cooled and, therefore, made habitable. Quite innovative but facilities for workers seemed pretty uninspiring for such a prestigious building.

All the same, I'm really captivated by these photos - there is something quite moving about seeing ordinary people doing ordinary jobs in ordinary settings - the only extraordinary thing being the building that they were in and the fact that a generation has passed since those photos were taken.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I guess people forget that the WTC was a 70s office building and that one of its main selling points at the time was the amount of column free office space that it provided and the fact that this had been made possible both by the structural system and the use of air conditioning which allowed the core of the building to be cooled and, therefore, made habitable. Quite innovative but facilities for workers seemed pretty uninspiring for such a prestigious building.
Nobody forgets that the World Trade Center was from an engeering perspective was hugely innovative.

I agree they were amazing in their own way and there was a special atmosphere like nowhere else. But it's still the fact that narrow windows (50/50 column/windows) and low ceilings so the sunlight only gets a couple of feet into the building gives an unpleasant work environment. The plaza was a huge concrete football field with no appeal at all and the mall was underground, so the street life was pushed away. They were designed and build in a time were factors like mass appeal, work environment, resource efficiency etc. didn't play any role like it does today. It was all about money and status.

But I do certainly miss them, no doubt. Anyway this discussion is all about ones personal taste in architecture. :)

Here is a Mechanical Tour of the World Trade Center. In this video you will see rare places and learn some technical stuff about the ventilation of the WTC.

·
Regulator
392 Posts
But it's still the fact that narrow windows (50/50 column/windows) and low ceilings so the sunlight only gets a couple of feet into the building gives an unpleasant work environment.
As I understand it, the windows were designed like that as the designer had a fear of heights and also wanted people to feel safe inside, being so high up.

The plaza was a huge concrete football field with no appeal at all and the mall was underground, so the street life was pushed away.
The lobby in new 1WTC is even worse, and the new mall is still going to be underground.

They were designed and build in a time were factors like mass appeal, work environment, resource efficiency etc. didn't play any role like it does today. It was all about money and status.
It's even more about money and status now than it was in the 70s :)
Thanks for the video links.

981 - 1000 of 7327 Posts