SkyscraperCity banner

1001 - 1020 of 7290 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
As I understand it, the windows were designed like that as the designer had a fear of heights and also wanted people to feel safe inside, being so high up.

The lobby in new 1WTC is even worse, and the new mall is still going to be underground.

It's even more about money and status now than it was in the 70s :)
Thanks for the video links.
1. Yes, the windows was designed in "shoulder length" 18.89 inch (48 cm) wide and 77.95 inch (1,98 cm) high. This has a psychological effect that you feel secure. The architect Minuro Yamasaki was afraid of heights himself. The columns measured 14.5 inch wide x 13.5 inch length (36.83 cm x 34,29 cm).

So you see it was almost 50% windows and 50% columns on each side of the facade.

2. Its all about personal taste in design. But I agree the new lobby looks a bit boring. But lets see how it looks when it opens before we conclude.

2.5 Yes and No. Most of the new Mall is gonna be in different levels. In WTC 2-3-4 its gonna be in the first 3 floors. And underground in the transportation hub and WTC 1.

3. No. There is no money today. See how we are not even sure that 2 and 3 WTC is gonna be build right away. And they just redesigned 3 WTC to make it smaller. Today its all about making a suitable design and office space that fits modern standards.

Im glad you enjoyed the videos. I have some more. :)

This is part 4 (The part showing most of the open floor area) of a Fireproofing Condition and Upgrade video from the 85th floor of 2WTC in July 17th, 2001. Sorry if it gets a little technical.

I like this PBS series about the World Trade center, mostly about Philippe Petit's 1974 high-wire walk between the towers.
This is part 1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tenho saudades dessas maravilhosas torres, fui ai quando criança, e jamais me esquecerei daqueles incríveis prédios ,são tempos que não voltam mais, porem nunca sairão de nossas lembranças.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
24,234 Posts

I actually recall there being a parking lot here. How long did it last?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had a question and this was the only place I found to ask. The old south tower had a door on the roof to let the tourists up on the observation deck. But what about the north tower? Was their a hatch/door on the north tower's roof? I know maintenance workers had to go up there from time to time..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always wonder, were the towers at the same "level" I mean, if you see the pictures from the entrance trhough the Tobin Plaza they look of course on the same level, when when you see pictures from the Marriott Hotel angle, the hotel itself is located (of part of it) below a wall (there is a garage entrance if I am not mistaken) plus there were some stairs next to the WTC 6 I think, so, were the streets in a 90º angle (if you were heading to the Financial Center) or there was a change in the levels of Plaza?

I don't know if I am making myself clear, is kinda hard to explain! Ha! hope you get it!

if you have pics from these angles the better!

·
For the Horde.
846 Posts

1971 at the office of Yamasaki and Associates. I believe this model was in the towers and destroyed on 9/11. At least one model was saved though and is now at the Skyscraper Museum in Manhattan.

Here's a set that was linked on a thread on SSP, these were taken circa 1999 and are some good shots of what a typical office floor looked like. The office that I worked in on the 99th floor of the North Tower (Marsh McLennan) didn't look too different.

These are on the 58th floor of WTC2.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jefflanka/WTCPics#

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
I always wonder, were the towers at the same "level" I mean, if you see the pictures from the entrance trhough the Tobin Plaza they look of course on the same level, when when you see pictures from the Marriott Hotel angle, the hotel itself is located (of part of it) below a wall (there is a garage entrance if I am not mistaken) plus there were some stairs next to the WTC 6 I think, so, were the streets in a 90º angle (if you were heading to the Financial Center) or there was a change in the levels of Plaza?

I don't know if I am making myself clear, is kinda hard to explain! Ha! hope you get it!

if you have pics from these angles the better!
The Tobin Plaza was level and had entrances to each tower at a mezzanine above the lift cores. The Hotel and ground floor were aligned to west side highway and the Financial center over the road. Last time I went to the old WTC I had to access via a stair or escalator across from the original WTC 7. That is one thing I think is missing from the new memorial.....to stand near the corner of the original tower is actually below grade of the old plaza.
I took this pic at the observation deck level in tower 2 in 2000.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I was frustrated at the time seeing the first tall building on the left of pic on the East River orientated 90 deg to reality ??? I know the city was foreshortened to bring the ESB etc into the model but now it's all gone anyhow......

·
For the Horde.
846 Posts
More..

These were on meh_cd's photobucket. I know he's on the forums, so I just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v423/meh_cd/wtc/?start=0

^ I walked by this sign every morning on my way to the 99th floor. I hated seeing it then, but I would give anything to walk past this sign again, take an elevator up to 99, and end up in an office full of people; people who are no longer with us.

The following pictures are from LMCC, which setup artists' spaces in untenanted space on the 91st and 92nd floors of the North Tower. These spaces were leased free-of-charge to the students. My girlfriend (at the time) was in this art program, and I worked 8 floors up, so I'd come down here on my lunch break (and have lunch with her), and check out the art projects.

Notice the columns. These were the core columns of the structure.

·
AKA Whynottaller
463 Posts
Notice the columns. These were not structural to the tower, but were actually made of drywall, and were used for running cabling (electrical, telephone, data) from cubicles to the ceiling where it then ran into the core of the building. These were probably left over from previous tenants.

Looking at the beams on the ceiling, it looks like they actually were (the) structural (core) columns.

1001 - 1020 of 7290 Posts