Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Christ, three projects in the same area.

I'm confused. Information overload. :nuts:

·
39,880 Posts
The sun? Why do we need to see the sun? This is downtown Toronto. People don't come down here to look at the sky. This is probably the 0.1% of Canada's land mass where tall should be encouraged. It's a bit greedy to expect every stitch of land in this country to be the domain of low height advocates. There's over 9.9 million square kilometres of low height land in this nation, how much more do you want? Good grief.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
The sun? Why do we need to see the sun? This is downtown Toronto. People don't come down here to look at the sky. This is probably the 0.1% of Canada's land mass where tall should be encouraged. It's a bit greedy to expect every stitch of land in this country to be the domain of low height advocates. There's over 9.9 million square kilometres of low height land in this nation, how much more do you want? Good grief.
:)

·
Registered
752 Posts
mmm I'm not sold on this one. More prime downtown land being used up for residential uses. IMO King is the main business street (outside of maybe Bay), and by the looks of it they are putting townhouse style retail/residential along the king frontange. I think that should be directed more towards to commercial offices.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Anything to take one's eyes off of just Metro Hall would be nice.

The hat on this tower looks like that of 18 Yorkville. If it turns out the same as that tower, I'd be very pleased. :cheers:

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
We still need to encourage intelligently planned developments.

·
39,880 Posts
^^ Of course, but a height reduction to 6 floors doesn't necessarily translate into good design or intelligent planning. That someone would suggest this here, indicates that this person simply is opposed to anything tall. Of all the places in Canada, this is where we should be encouraging height. Intelligent planning and good design is something that should be mandatory everywhere.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
mmm I'm not sold on this one. More prime downtown land being used up for residential uses. IMO King is the main business street
Bah...once you've hit John St, you're no longer in the financial district. And seeing as there is an almost unlimited supply of development sites outside of that area, there is no danger of non-residential uses being shut out, if and when the desire to build it arises.

Plus, the best use of "prime" downtown land is residential. Even with Toronto's enormous downtown residential population, the downtown working population is still even bigger. Ideally, it's best to tamper massive working population areas with an even larger residential population.

We are extremely fortunate that our downtown already has very large and diverse mixed-use, mixed-demographic qualities. There's no such thing as too much residential...only too much of every other kind of use. Residential towers downtown will not drive out business...it will attract it.

KGB

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Bah...once you've hit John St, you're no longer in the financial district. And seeing as there is an almost unlimited supply of development sites outside of that area, there is no danger of non-residential uses being shut out, if and when the desire to build it arises.

Plus, the best use of "prime" downtown land is residential. Even with Toronto's enormous downtown residential population, the downtown working population is still even bigger. Ideally, it's best to tamper massive working population areas with an even larger residential population.

We are extremely fortunate that our downtown already has very large and diverse mixed-use, mixed-demographic qualities. There's no such thing as too much residential...only too much of every other kind of use. Residential towers downtown will not drive out business...it will attract it.

KGB

I'm sure you have KGB, but for the rest, see Jane Jacobs take on Manhattan after 5pm.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
60 John St / 12+18 Mercer St

(I'm not aware of a thread for this project on SCC)

First posted by interchange42 on UT from Adam Vaughan's Flickr stream.

Hmm...:hm:

Montevideo Tower, Rotterdam, Mecanoo Architecten

http://www.backstein.de/3.0/kk_redsystem_media/montevideo_totale_2_144_kl.jpg

Different for Toronto but still a dumbed-down import of overseas originality. Come on T.O. You can do better than that, can't you?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts