SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10th February 2008
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't fault it/them. Another Gtr Manchester success story. :)

£129m record for city with MIDAS touch

INWARD investment agency MIDAS is targeting the public sector for the next big wave of relocation and jobs.

It comes after figures revealed a record £128.9m of new investment had been attracted to Manchester last year.

MIDAS, which is the name for Greater Manchester's inward investment agency, helped create 2,477 jobs within the city-region, beating all its targets.

The biggest coup for MIDAS during the year was the decision by Bank of New York to create a new growth centre in the city, in a move which should create over 1,000 jobs in the coming years.

The agency then led a major trade mission to the Big Apple in a bid to further raise awareness among the world's biggest financial companies, of Manchester's excellence as a business location.

Other major companies announcing investment in the city included AIG, BUPA, the Islamic Bank of Britian, State Bank of India, Google and Hat Trick North.

MIDAS chief executive Colin Sinclair, who succeeded Neil Fountain earlier this year, said the agency was determined to continue its success, in the face of increasing competition.

"We are really pleased with the progress we have made, I believe we are probably the most successful sub-regional investment agency in the UK.

"Two years ago we created half the number of jobs as last year, which is really pleasing." He said this was "pay back" for the work the agency and its partners, such as Marketing Manchester, were doing to raise the city's profile as a world-class business location.

With a major investments, such as Bank of New York, having a lead time of between three and five years, he said the focus for this year was on the public sector.

"There are plenty of big names in play. We have been doing a lot of work to try and shift the public sector out of London. We are working with two big government agencies to relocate to Manchester."

Mr Sinclair said he would not allow complacency to set in, because competition was growing: "Manchester has done really well in the last few years and other cities are starting to take notice and copy what we do. We have got to keep on working hard to be the best."

MIDAS http://www.investinmanchester.com/CMSPublic/Dynamic/urbis_world_class_720x120.jpg

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
I can claim to have played a very small part in MIDAS's success. One of my very few paid photographic jobs was for MIDAS - they used my shots in their publicity material and in their literature.
Actually that link you posted jjb of URBIS is one of mine!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Normaly a bit suspicous of Goverment Quango's - but all things considered they seem to be doing a good job.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The Longford said:
I can claim to have played a very small part in MIDAS's success. One of my very few paid photographic jobs was for MIDAS - they used my shots in their publicity material and in their literature.
do you have one of those cameras with the concertina lens that straightens buildings out.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Isaac Newell said:
do you have one of those cameras with the concertina lens that straightens buildings out.
A mono rail technical camera you mean?
I blooming wish.
No - MIDAS job was 'lifestyle' stuff so not strict architectural photography so i did that on digital.
For architecture you can sort out verticals in photoshop but the pros still use a mono rail.
I do my 'art' on a medium format film camera.

http://flickr.com/photos/eddyrhead/

·
10th February 2008
59,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Longford said:
Is there no bounds to your talents Mr Longjohns? :tyty:

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
jrb said:
Is there no bounds to your talents Mr Longjohns? :tyty:
He can sort out verticals in photoshop and change a nappy all at the same time, and I can't do either.....

What does that tell ya?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts