Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That part of downtown seemingly has sucked hordes of people into the area like a vortex. MP and the area around it (N State St, museum area, etc) were basically teeming with people today.

I DO NOT remember it being that way even 6 or so years ago when I lived in Chicago. This is definitely a change more significant than just some hype or fad that I've witnessed.

Would others here view this to be a correct observation?

·
Urbane observer
1,549 Posts
Yes, though it's pretty seasonal. We're in the middle of tourist frenzy right now.

I wish Block 37 could tap into this asset, but I fear some bad decisions have been made there.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno, I always though Millenium Park/Grant Park/Musuem was teeming with people, even 6 years ago
^ I guess--I'm not saying that this area was dead 6 years ago, far from it. Obviously there were still a lot of pedestrians.

But other than perhaps in the most miserable weather, I have not witnessed Millennium Park during the day not being pretty happening and vibrant. Being that this area was a giant parking lot and rail yard not long back, that's essentially an injection of a hell of a lot of people downtown that weren't there before.

·
Registered
82 Posts
^ I have a hard time imagining how Block 37 won't benefit from this, regardless how much some of us don't appreciate the way it has developed.
I agree with you 'TUP'. I am on State Street about every other day and it is packed along the whole street, especially by Block 37. As soon as it is finished, opened up, and the sidewalks are open in front of it, there's no way it wont be packed in the mall.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
^ I guess--I'm not saying that this area was dead 6 years ago, far from it. Obviously there were still a lot of pedestrians.

But other than perhaps in the most miserable weather, I have not witnessed Millennium Park during the day not being pretty happening and vibrant. Being that this area was a giant parking lot and rail yard not long back, that's essentially an injection of a hell of a lot of people downtown that weren't there before.
Well, really anything is an improvement over a parking lot and rail yard. Certainly Millennium Park is the best thing they could have done to Grant Park.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Compared to when MP opened in 2006, I think the masses of tourists and crowds have really been pulled south of the river more. I was actually just thinking this last Friday as I wandered around State Street, over through MP and then back up Michigan from the Art Institute to North Michigan.

Michigan was always busy south of the river, not i don't remember anything consistent like it is now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts