Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apart from a bunch of goods sheds, The Mission To Seamen or the Mission To Seafarers building is probably the only historic building in Melbourne's docklands (and yes I'm aware that it's actually just out of docklands so don't point that out).

If I could be arsed I'd do some research and tell you all about it, but I can't. What I do know is that it's part of the world wide Anglican movement of the same name, which was founded in 1856. It provides a place for sailors to worship etc in one of it's buildings (there's one in 300 ports around the world). It's patron is Queen Liz.

Anyway this building seems to date from 1917, but I'm sure someone with more nautical know how can fill us in, cough Bronteboy cough ahem. Here it is:

Hmmm, that's it? Well that's not enough! Here are some photos of things nearby. Firstly Northwarf, a warf on the north side of the Yarra. Loving the old crane action:

Back in the heart of docklands you can often see some pirate ships. Here is the Farley Mowat recently returned from anti-whaling activities:

And here's the Robert Hunter showing ram damage:

A little way down from the SFM is the beautiful brutal horror of the World Trade Centre and Crowne Plaza hotel:

And further down still is the tiny little control building that is used by the helicopter company:

I like trains:

And boats:

And boys, I mean bouys, ahem:

:cheers:

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the wonderful carpark of the stupendous WTC:

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mugs, high praise coming from a master such as yourself. The FM is from a while back - summer I think - RH was from about a month ago.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Excuse my late and rushed arrival gappa : great shots and a great idea. That waterfront section of the city once meant a lot to me.

Years ago an emerging artist acquaintance of mine , Louise Hearmann got a grant to paint a fresco on the ceiling of the the little dome in the Mission to Seamen there. Not sure what the outcome was - Louise was a spunky kid who used to clomp around in big Doc Marten boots, and I know she experienced some philistine opposition on the project from a old caretaker or someone there, and was injured in a scaffolding fall (she has since become quite prominent, and was - maybe still - the partner of the famous photog Bill Henson for many years). Sudden doubt - I assume that dome is still preserved there, isn't it ??

There was a Mission to Seaman at Port Melbourne too (above), kind of bland fifties brick building in the industrial wasteland between Station and Prince's Pier - the area now covered by Beacon Cove. There were community art exhibitions there occasionally, and I still have a big pottery urn I bought at one, a gesture - it was made by a struggling young artist living next door to me here in St Kilda then.

When i was a youngster I used to go down to both North and South Wharfs looking at ships, but maybe a bit after this steam crane operated. Matters of writing, arts and the sea have been three enduring life themes for me.

A bit later, when a copyboy and cadet at The Sun News Pictorial , one of my after-midnight tasks was to take first editions down to the little police office that sat up the ambulance driveway into the morgue, which was there in the Flinders Street Extension, covered by the World Trade Centre or that carpark in your pictures.

Eerie stuff. Fresh-faced and innocent kid, I was the victim of a few macabre jokes down there, which I won't get into here. Anyway, you can read a sort of interesting paper on the history of the Melbourne's morgue, and its connection to that North Wharf area right here ...

http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/provenance/no3/dddhPrint.asp

Great stuff gappa. Cheers, Bronte

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Bronte, I knew you'd be able to fill us in. As for the dome, yes it's still standing proud. You can see it poking out in the third photo.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that Bronte, I knew you'd be able to fill us in. As for the dome, yes it's still standing proud. You can see it poking out in the third photo.
Here's a better shot:

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Thanks gappa, good to see that old Spanish style mission is still there: wonder what should be done to cheer up its facade a little without losing its heritage characteristics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts