Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not too sure how serious this project is, but it sounds as though it is quite likely to go ahead, providing there aren't too many complaints about the design. From SSN:-

"Although there is substantial planning gain from a redevelopment of Centurion House, there are likely to be concerns from some people that the building is too overbearing for the location despite the clever design and that the base of the Monument, which is a sensitive historical structure, faces being overwhelmed by the encroaching glass."

I really like this design, but I'm worried about the location

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,410 Posts
I think it's too close to the monument. But everything there is too close to the monument which is bad.

That aside I love the design and the feature of the rippled glass. I feel this belong much nearer to the City cluster and not this far out.

·
Registered
24,550 Posts
ANYTHING that gives that square animation is good in my book. The current set up is ridiculous, and the recent refurbishment of the square hasn't addressed the main problem with the Monument - it's dead space. What was the point of pedestrianising the square and putting out chairs and tables if there's no retail space at the base level of the surrounding buildings to make use of the square?

Does anyone else find MAKE architects generally a bit, well, crap? All of their work seems to be very childish and in your face, but without the finesse of similar practices, such as Alsop Architects. Have MAKE had anything built yet?

·
BLAND
8,876 Posts
It looks fabulous from the front...but from the side it looks like there has been some sort of incident!....oh well...it may be the render situation again.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Looks like the wall is ripping itself apart trying to get away from the rest of the building.

I would really need to see the rest of the building before I passed judgment on the design, but from those rendering it looks ok.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Interesting design for once, the amount of stone / grey clumsy cladding around this area gives one an instant migraine. Looks like it will create a lot of ground level interest too which this dead zone needs. Perhaps this facade returns the playfulness of the lost higgledy piggldey streets? It certainly feels more pudding lane than the current dire situation.

I dont agree at all with the notion that it is somehow overbearing for the Monument, which just suffers from a lack of River side respect, from any other angle it requires the reduction of half of London by 5 stories and that is just not going to happen! Currently the heavy base and slender column is lost in a menagerie of post modern office cladding. This will create a lighter backdrop that will allow the monument to stand out.

·
BLAND
8,876 Posts
Interesting design for once, the amount of stone / grey clumsy cladding around this area gives one an instant migraine. Looks like it will create a lot of ground level interest too which this dead zone needs. Perhaps this facade returns the playfulness of the lost higgledy piggldey streets? It certainly feels more pudding lane than the current dire situation.

I dont agree at all with the notion that it is somehow overbearing for the Monument, which just suffers from a lack of River side respect, from any other angle it requires the reduction of half of London by 5 stories and that is just not going to happen! Currently the heavy base and slender column is lost in a menagerie of post modern office cladding. This will create a lighter backdrop that will allow the monument to stand out.
Menagerie or melangerie :)

·
35,453 Posts
yeah... i found the pics on SSC and did a bit of digging, amazing what you can find :) i personally love the scheme but i think it's a bit overbearing of the monument, i would like it to taper in at the roof, not taper out. it does lean outwards though, this is part fo the plan of the architect to extend the public space around it that fronts onto the monument.

·
Buka Pintu
23,991 Posts

:applause: I agree!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think this is gorgeous. It's a clasp holding the diamond that is the monument. It's pitched at just the right degree of wackyness vs classyness IMO. My best wishes to the developer on this one!

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
I think you would get some fantastic reflections of monument & also with the sun reflecting off the cladding onto Monument.

As has been noted there's not much in the way of decent architecture surrounding monument so anything to liven up the area is welcomed.Plus this building will house a Monument experience museum according to the blurb on MAKE's Website.

Whether anything will actually happen those is another thing. It looks like another one of those MAKE proposals they never see the light of day. This was commissioned in 2006 according to MAKEs website but the building was bought in January 07 by CBRE. Maybe/hopefully the new owners progress with this scheme though. It wont be for at least 3 years at any rate as Nomura have the lease on the current building till then.

·
Futurist
38,996 Posts

Pudding Lane is absolutely dire at the moment. One of the most historic streets in London, but the only thing visible is the back-end of some concrete offices! It's dark, ugly and completely forgettable. They should really do something with it, I don't know what exactly, but even a simple street enhancement would be good.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.