SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Morgan Quinto top 25 list.....75,000 and over...the number is the national ranking. 6 out of 25.

2. Detroit
4. St Louis
5. Gary
20. Cleveland
21. Dayton
25 Cincinnati

(way to go..O-hi-o)

[The rankings are based on a city's rate for six crime categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.)

The top 25 safest ...most appear to be large suburbs of Detroit...

12 Troy Michigan
14 Parma, Ohio (suburb of Cleveland)
19 Sterling Heights, Michigan
20 Livonia Michigan
21 Lee's Summit, MO
22 Farmington Hills, Michigan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Saint Louis number 4!? Oh heavens, you mean there are neighborhoods in Saint Louis where it might not be safe to walk down the street alone trying to buy crack from a drug dealer at two o'clock in the morning? What ever shall I do?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do you have a reference? I know of Morgan Quinto but the most recent that can be found online is 2003. How can you find one for 2005 when the year isn't even half way over yet?

Secondly, the crime stats are based off of 7 categories, not 6:

Murder
Rape
Assault
Robbery
Burglary
Auto Theft
Larceny

And I am confused as to how Cleveland and possibly even Cincinnati could be ranked as some of the most dangerous, yet Kansas City is nowhere to be found on that list?

2002 overall crime rates:

Cleveland: 694.7
Cincinnati: 773.9
Kansas City: 816.8

·
6,423 Posts
Maybe Jeff doesn't consider Kansas City to be in the Midwest. Or maybe he simply overlooked it. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Minneapolis612 said:
no one can get one past you can they big dan?
Well when it comes to crime statistics...probably not. I know crime stats like....the back of my hand, so to speak.

Lmichigan said:
Maybe Jeff doesn't consider Kansas City to be in the Midwest. Or maybe he simply overlooked it. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.
Well Missouri IS considered to be in the Midwest. Not to mention he has St. Louis on the list which is in the same state as Kansas City, so you would think KC would be included as well. Anyways, I wasn't trying to take a shot at Jeff I was just asking if he had a reference to where he got this information because I find it extremely hard to believe Morgan Quinto would have 2005 stats posted online when 1) 2005 isn't even half way over and 2) 2004 isn't even posted online yet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Okay well I did some searching. I found that the stats Jeff posted above on this thread are for 2003 not 2005.

·
Registered
24 Posts
These are definitely 2003 numbers. The reason you don't see Kansas City on the list, is because they were simply not available at the time. More than likely these are from the Morgan Quinto formula which in fact only uses 6 criteria: murder, rape, robbery, aggrevated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.

To be technical, crime statistics as provided to the UCR and not including NIBRS, use 8 categories, not 7: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson.

It's all a moot point, many crimes go unreported, cities have different populations, different ethnic groups, differing number of patrol officers, different extraneous variables... and so on affecting crime.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BigDan35 said:
Okay well I did some searching. I found that the stats Jeff posted above on this thread are for 2003 not 2005.
You are correct....my source....
....the footnote reads:

"NOTE: The rankings are based on a city's rate for six crime categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.
Source: Morgan Quitno Corporation. Web: www.morganquitno.com .
Information Please® Database, © 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved."

...and I misread the copyright as the date for the info....i see now that its the copyright just for the "Information Please" website....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STL4EVER said:
Saint Louis number 4!? Oh heavens, you mean there are neighborhoods in Saint Louis where it might not be safe to walk down the street alone trying to buy crack from a drug dealer at two o'clock in the morning? What ever shall I do?
....gee I don't know...I only was in St Louis briefly... If you say so...

@@@@@@@@@@

It is a bit odd to see Dayton on that list, as I dont think the downtown is unsafe. Ive been going downtown for many years, and the only criminal incident that I experienced was when some kid tried to pick my pocket...and that was over 10 years ago...

So, sure the neighborhoods are probaby rough (or Dayton woudn't be on that list) but the Dayton CBD is probably pretty safe, based on my experience.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
There are very few downtowns in the U.S. that are unsafe. The majority of all crimes in most cities can be attributed to a select few areas of the city, while the remaining areas are relatively safe.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Michigan Avenue said:
Who's #1?
For 2003 stats:

Overall:

1) Camden, NJ
2) Detroit, MI

Population 500,000 or more:

1) Detroit, MI
2) Washington D.C.

Population 100,000 to 499,999:

1) Atlanta, GA
2) St. Louis, MO

Population 75,000 to 99,999:

1) Camden, NJ
2) Compton, CA

·
World Re-nowned
222 Posts
why is everyone exploiting st. louis and detroit's crime rights so what those are murderous cities so is new york chicago miami atlanta all those cities have neighborhoods that may even be even more horrible

1 - 20 of 22 Posts