SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Borat Sagdiev
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so maybee not quite, but ussually I am very positive and a Buffalo pusher, but today I will show some of the sadness of the city, images of structures that were once great but now, bland.

Enjoy!

Trains still go right through the middle of BCT

The neighbouring hood, was exactly that an abandoned hood!

Depleted housing stock

Now on to one of my favorite decaying buildings, mmmmm COFFEE, and the smell in this area is absoloutly amazing!! Smells like fresh cereal being made..

Shipping Canal with HSBC in the backdrop

Factories

Trash Filled Waterfront

Dreary Buffalo

The Ultimate Dreary Pano!

SCROLL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hope you have all enjoyed my thread, leave a comment, or a thought if you wish..

WZ1

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Just one correction, that's not the Erie Canal, rather the Buffalo Ship Canal. The Erie Canal would have been on the other (north) side of the river, where the Erie Canal Harbor/Commercial Slip project is currently progressing, and then follow I-190 up the riverfront.

I drive down Ganson St usually 3-4 days a week, and yes, I love the smell of cereal in the air lol. My girlfriend calls the Michigan St bridge "the cereal bridge".

Naturally I was downtown yesterday in the fog/low clouds and wished I had my camera, fortunately somebody did. That last pano is cool.

As for Central Terminal, I still contend that Amtrak should be held largely responsible for what has happened to that place. But who could blame them, after all the Dick Rd station in Cheektowaga is such an architectural masterpiece itself...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
ah yes, the grit of Buffalo...it's what makes Buffalo....Buffalo.

nice to see people are getting out of downtown and seeing the city as a whole, notice how when you see these kind of photos you can appreciate it more?

nice work.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
^^ lol... more like Buffalo is still cool DESPITE the bills. :jk:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
ROCguy said:
^^ lol... more like Buffalo is still cool DESPITE the bills. :jk:
If Buffalo is cool, it's because the Sabres saved the city's collective sports ass this season FROM the Bills. (The Bandits, albeit more of a cult following as a minor-tier sporting league are playing a part as well.)

But just watch - Sabres could sweep Philly, and the NFL draft will still get more media time around here. Sickening. If the Bills were to leave town, it would be far easier if we were able to diversify our sporting "eggs" away from the Bills' "basket". Think of it in terms of the job market re: manufacturing sector.

Taller said:
I think the city is working very hard to turn things around, and I am pretty
confident they are headed in the right direction.
Considering that turning Buffalo around could have been likened to trying to stop a 50 ton boulder from rolling down a mountainside, I'd have to agree; I think so too. If nothing else, a corner has been turned.

Who cares if it's slow. Think of it this way. Physically speaking, if it were possible to be driving full speed in reverse, and then instantly full speed forward, your car's engine would fall out. You gotta stop somewhere along the line, and it's gotta be gradual.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
too bad no one can rehab the train station/tower into a mixed use/residential development. what a gem...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
^^ Because you live in Canada, not the US.

Shouldn't you be out on an ice floe clubbing defenseless baby seals?

·
token Canadian
944 Posts
I don't find it depressing, I see these views from the 190 all the time, and as an optimist see all the redevelopment opportunities. and what do you expect since the city proper is half its size from its 1950 peak. which is why buffalo has a large number of gritty areas.
every city has grit, most people just don't admit to themselves that it exists in their areas.
Buffalonians know it does, after all the one local nickname is "City of No Illusions"
And the city is making an attempt to redevelop, but its not exactly flush with cash right now.
and The last few years have seen more development/redevelopment than the past 35 as a whole!

Buffalo Rising

1 - 20 of 35 Posts