SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The most different and unique cities?

I think most of the cities of the world, especially modern ones, look like each other, in the big cities there are usually some skyscrapers and in the small cities there are some apartments and other typical buildings, but there are also some different cities in the world, for example in my country, there is Yazd which certainly differs from all other cities in Iran.

·
why worry?
937 Posts
^^ I think he means unique?

I would have to say Astana is the most unique city I've ever seen. Lots of eccentric architecture that you won't find anywhere else in the world

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Venice in Italy is certainly a different and unique city, one of the main reason is the maritime portion of this city:

The public transport system in Yazd is also different from other cities, there are narrow and covered streets and people usually use motorbikes there.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the title of this thread to "The most different and unique cities?" before the second post but it was not changed!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Different cities come from different rules, which come from different circumstances, which have to be there for a period of time to shape a city.

My reference database

Venice (water city), Amsterdam (also modern Amsterdam), Bolonga (rule: can overbuild sidewalk), Brasilia (car logic), Paris (hypercompact (12m streets) vs boulevard), Berlin (22m max height & 22 streets - from fire rules), New York (building envelope - canyon streets 'till 10 floors, from there setbacks)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
There's this town in Italy too - which is a result of families building tower-like granaries which dubbed a symbol of wealth and power. This little village used to have 72 of these towers. Much like the great church towers around here, the function was primarily an excuse for competition. But this competition at least created a great townscape.

San Gimignano

Yazd (Iran) is very nice too for its windcatchers. But I'm sure Cyrus will explain all about it.

Yazd

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,272 Posts
Every city is unique. Silly thread.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the historical city of Paveh can be called as a different city too, of course there are some simialr villages in Iran but this is the only stair stepped city in Iran, or even in the whole world:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts