SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3579 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
^^ woah, how long is this stretch?
32 km, constructed between 1927 and 1933. It is part of a larger project called: Zuiderzee Works. It was an older plan to close the Zuiderzee, but after the Zuiderzeevloed 1916 it was for the protection very important for the Netherlands.

It had 2 major benefits:
-Short coast, which is easy to protect.
-It made reclaiming land easy.

Most reclaiming started after the "Afsluitdijk" had been finished. It was projected to reclaim more than 2000km2. 1650 km2 nowadays reclaimed.

Sometimes it is discribed as the precedessor or part of the even more impressive Delta Works (Which the American Society of Civil Engineers has declared to be one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World)

F

·
0 Posts
Afsluitdijk is impressive!!

I've been to Hotel Europa, I really like it. Thanks for sharing the pics :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
^^^^ Haarlem is one of my favorite cities in the Netherlands, last time I was in Haarlem I even visited the building on the right ( Teylers Museum ).

Bytheway, the leading researcher at the Teyler Museum, was Lorentz and he was also the one who "invented" or researched the idea of the Afsluitdijk. (It's clear to me that my mind contains to many useless facts :nuts:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
^^ another useless fact: Harlem NY was named after this city. Not surprisingly, since the dutch founded New York in 1628, when they bought the isle of manhattan from the indians. They called it Nieuw Amsterdam (New Amsterdam).

Leiden

DvW

·
Banned
702 Posts
that land bridge should be like a world wonder or something.

thats one big mega project! amazing

·
Registered Abuser
4,681 Posts
Caribbean island of Sint-Maarten/Saint-Martin:

Airplane landing at Princess Juliana International Airport near Maho Beach:

Picture courtesy of adroit

1 - 20 of 3579 Posts