SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, common sense finally prevailed and the NRL made the only choice they could have.

The as yet unnamed team will join the comp in 2007, playing their first season at Cararra Stadium before moving to a new 25,000 seat stadium at Robina.

I like the geographical location. Inland from Burleigh/Miami, it's pretty much centre of the Gold Coast and can count on support from Brisbane down to Northern NSW.

Amazing to see more than 21,000 crammed into Cararra Stadium for the Cowboys V Bulldogs tonight.
Icing on the cake for the GC bid team.

Side notes...

Great to see the NRL continuing to push for a Sydney team to relocate to Gosford.

And... no doubt the AFL will be relieved Cararra isn't being redeveloped into a League/Union only stadium.

Any other thoughts?

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Its good news. QLD needs another team.

But i would personally go for the Wellington team before the GC team.

We have 2 teams, they have 1. It makes sense.

And Also id like Darwin to get a team.

·
Registered
76,958 Posts
damn! i wanted a team on central Coast. QLD dont need 3 teams?
so what are going to be called GC Mudcrabs?
lol
anyway i think Souths are going to be based in Gosford so thats ok.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
lol cul go to hell and die.

QLD NSW should not get a new team for many many many years...
Sure move around the teams you already have, but u should not get any more teams.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It was on the news, he was at a press conference.

Im assuming because the new team will take players away from the Broncos! Which is a selfish attitude IMO!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, Bennett is worried about backroom deals the new club can make for players mid season.

The GC was the only logical choice. If the NRL want to be taken seriously as a national/international competition, they need to get out of Sydney.

I think Sydney people need to realise this isn't the NSWRL anymore. If one more franchise pops up in NSW it will set the game back years.

I hope the Rabbitohs relocate to Gosford. It isn't working where they are now. They can play their home games there and with so many "away" games being played around Sydney their traditional fan base (the few that are currently going to games) will still only have a short trip to watch them play.

Wellington's bid is a decade too soon IMHO. That market isn't mature enough yet.

This is the best news for RL in years. Soon, the nations 6th biggest city will have a team, a new stadium and plenty of support. It still seems rediculous that QLD only has 3 teams in the National comp (given NSW has 11, ACT and NZ 1 each).

A 4th team will probably never happen again, bit if it did, the best place for it would probably be a "Western QLD" team based in Toowoomba, with a fan base from Ipswich to the East to the border in the West. Population wise, this would be pretty similar to what the North QLD Cowboys currently have.

I guarantee you thousands of people would be more than happy to drive several hours into Towoomba on a Friday or Saturday arve to watch their team play.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just stumbled on these laughable comments from North Sydney's Mike Gibbons...

Gibbons claimed the money the Gold Coast consortium wasted fighting for the "Dolphins" name proved it wasn't up to the task of entering the NRL.

"On stadium, tradition, name, crowds juniors, long-term funding - on all counts we have it all over them," Gibbons said.

"They are in an AFL-dominated area with a lot of immigrants from Asia and south-east Asia (where the game is not played).

"It's not a rugby league area because it has had three gos and failed miserably.

"In the end, we are saying it is not a fair comparison of the bids.

"I think it has been handled incredibly unprofessionally and I think it's disgraceful."

What a joke! AFL dominated? C'mon. Walk into a Pub or Surf Club down there. The AFL may get played on the odd big screen, but what's everyone watching? The RL.

What a joke. The NRL crowds on the coast recently are no accident. Pretty much every pre-season game they've had in good weather there has sold out.

I'll assume Gibbons has never been up here.

·
Registered
953 Posts
But he's right about the past failures in the Gold Coast before... Don't get me wrong though, this is a great thing for RL and the GC.

I can't help but feel the NRL feels a little pressured by the new Perth Super 14 team starting up shop... a GC team was the logical choice, not the Central Coast....

Can't wait to see what 2007 will bring!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Fantastic. The stadium at Robina is going to be really good. massive project that one, they're combining a GCCC administration centre in the same parcel of land.

"On stadium, tradition, name, crowds juniors, long-term funding - on all counts we have it all over them," Gibbons said

That's bull. Sure, they have a stadium already, tradition--who cares. The NRL need to move away from tradition, crowds--Absolute bullshit, Juniors--Absolute bullshit. The Gold Coast would have at least a dozen Junior Rugby League clubs, long-term funding--they're pretty much relying on one man. At least we have the majority of the Gold Coast community backing us.

·
$5.95 with coke and fries
31 Posts
gee this decision was a long time coming. now the big question is what will the name be? Some of the more popular names that have come up are

breakers
heat
stingrays
pirates
marlins

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Anything but Breakers or Heat.

I would actually rank them...

1. Pirates
2. Stingrays
3. Marlins
4. Breakers
5. Heat

And as stated, Sydney/NSW should NEVER get another team. (ok not never, in 100 years fine lol)

And Macphisto, you went and forgot that Vic also has 1 team.

(NSW: 11, Vic: 1, ACT: 1, NZ: 1, QLD: 3)

I would give out teams like this: (Next team i mean, GC is already in)
1. Wellington
2. Darwin
3. Perth
4. Adelaide
5. Hobart
6. Western QLD
7. Geelong
8. Fremantle
9. Christchurch/Dunedin

I could go on... but i wont.

·
Registered
76,958 Posts
the sad thing is that the Gold Coast team will probably battle for the w00den sp00n when it enters 2007 comp. new teams always do.
anyway back to important things.
How far is new stadium from Q1?

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Cull, seriously mate, Qld don't need 3 teams, yet how many are in Sydney? And watched by paltry crowds. It's meant to be a national competition, not an expanded Sydney competition.

NSW people wonder why Qld'ers have such a chip on their shoulders, well you should start thinking about how attitudes like the above look to anyone that doesn't live in Sydney.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
CULWULLA said:
the sad thing is that the Gold Coast team will probably battle for the w00den sp00n when it enters 2007 comp. new teams always do.
Melbourne joined the comp in 1999 and went onto win the whole thing that same year. If they can get the right mix of players and poach a few from existing clubs, they should do well.

·
Professional amateur
1,062 Posts
Fabian said:
Melbourne joined the comp in 1999 and went onto win the whole thing that same year. If they can get the right mix of players and poach a few from existing clubs, they should do well.
Actually they entered the NRL in '98, and won in '99. So second year in the comp... but I get where you're going ;)

Stu

·
Registered
820 Posts
Gold Coast and Central Coast should both be in there really. Whichever side missed out was entitled to be disappointed.
While I appreciate all the tradition of Souths, they don't do much for the competition now. All their supporters rallied to get the team back into the competition and when it comes back, they don't go to the games. I'm all for rebranding the team in the Central Coast.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fro said:
But he's right about the past failures in the Gold Coast before... Don't get me wrong though, this is a great thing for RL and the GC.

I can't help but feel the NRL feels a little pressured by the new Perth Super 14 team starting up shop... a GC team was the logical choice, not the Central Coast....

Can't wait to see what 2007 will bring!
Yeah, fair enough quoting the past failures but these need to be put in context.

The first two iterations (giant/seagulls) were based in Tweed Heads, a considerable distance from the bulk of the Gold Coast population.

QLD crowds had difficulty warming to a team based in NSW, especially with our own QRL (I was a Wynnum/Manly Seagulls fan) and then the new Broncos outfit to support.

The Tweed teams also had to compete with other major sports teams on the coast for corporate funds, fans and media coverage (i.e. Brisbane Bears - AFL, GC Breakers - Basketball), teams playing out of Cararra at the heart of the coast.

The GC chargers move to Cararra set it on the road to recovery, but the Super League truce (and subsequent team consolidation) saw it become one of several teams to get either axed, or pushed into a merger.

Fast forward to 2005. Rugby League as a games is as healthy as it's ever been. The Gold Coast doesn't have one major sports team. The immediate population has grown to over half a million and fans have shown time and again over the past few years that they are prepared to support their own league team.

The time couldn't be more right. This new league team will be the only notable sporting team in a national competition on the Coast.

Watch as they rake in the sponsorship dollars, and blanket media coverage.

Malt, a decade or two down the track I'd like an 18 team comp with teams in Wellington and maybe Western QLD. I'd like to see another Sydney team relocate to one of these locations but I'm sure the chances of that are slim.

My 18th team would be Port Moresby (watch as those guys pull 30,000 a game), but it would be a shame to cripple their own successful/growing national comp/s (as it surely would QRL style), and sponsorship dollars could be an issue as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts