Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North West newspaper hits stands

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41606000/jpg/_41606874_enquirer_first203.jpg/img]

The newspaper is aimed at an upmarket audience

A new broadsheet newspaper for people in the North West has hit the shops and news stands.

The North West Enquirer is a weekly covering stories from across Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

The newspaper, based in Manchester, costs £1 and is aiming for a circulation of 15,000 to 20,000.

Its launch comes after the Manchester Evening News (MEN) said it was giving away copies free in the city centre.

Owner Guardian Media Group (GMG) said the move was to combat a declining circulation.

The current circulation of the MEN is just over 130,000 but the newspaper aims to give away 50,000 free copies in the city centre from May.

We are serving a different kind of audience and we are serving the whole region

Bob Waterhouse

In February, the group announced it was axing 35 jobs - one in five editorial posts - at the MEN.

But Bob Waterhouse, editor of the Enquirer, said the evening newspaper's problems would not affect his regional weekly.

"From my own point of view it's a total coincidence. It does not bode well or ill as far as we are concerned," he said.

"We have picked up one or two very good people from the evening news, which is great.

"But it doesn't mean anything for us because we are a different kind of paper.

"We are serving a different kind of audience and we are serving the whole region."

The Enquirer is aimed at the 1.3m AB adults in the North West and contains about 80 pages of news.

ABs are at the top of the socio-economic scale and are high earners and well-educated.

[url]http://www.nw-enquirer.co.uk/[/url]

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
"ABs are at the top of the socio-economic scale and are high earners and well-educated."

I wont be buying a copy then!

·
10th February 2008
60,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Longford said:
"ABs are at the top of the socio-economic scale and are high earners and well-educated."

I wont be buying a copy then!
Bought a copy today. Give it a try Mr Longford, it's not as heavy going as it sounds. Some very good articles which are well written. Certainly worth a £1 every week.

I'll scan and post a few articles from this weeks edition tomorrow.
Interesting article regarding the BBC's proposed move to Manchester.

·
Less is more.
6,213 Posts
sounds like a good read jerb, available at all good news stands?

·
10th February 2008
60,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rolybling said:
sounds like a good read jerb, available at all good news stands?
Indeed Roly.

MEN is now being given away free in the city centre, but still costs 35p in the suburbs?

·
Less is more.
6,213 Posts
^^ REALLY? and there's me spending 35p when I could just skip down to Deansgate and get one gratis...bit cheeky though don't ya think?

btw jerb I never did get that cryptic message the other day about your sig...care to enlighten me? PM if you must.

·
10th February 2008
60,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rolybling said:
^^ REALLY? and there's me spending 35p when I could just skip down to Deansgate and get one gratis...bit cheeky though don't ya think?
Doesn't make sense.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Ironically - thanks to being married to money and spending more time at university as so not to get a proper job i think i am actually an AB!
Dont like the name but will pick up a copy. Manchester has a long and proud journalistic tradition and am glad to see this continuing.

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
Bought a copy this morning, have had a quick flick, it looks ok, some interesting stories.As its a weekly, no great rush to read it all yet, plus I bought The Independent yesterday and today to get free wallmaps, lots to plough through tonight

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I certainly hope they will have an online version, sounds like a decent weekly.
I think if it's handled right it should prove to be a 'must read' for the movers and shakers of the great English North West!

I love the whole concept of the 'North West', and when you think of the resources we are blessed with, ie. major finance/commerce/media/entertainment/higher learning centred around Manchester, a major airport in MAN and fast growing ones at LJA and Blackpool. A resurgent major sea port at Liverpool. The future should be very rosy indeed for our NW. All that's required to ameliorate the situation, is for more symbiosis between the coastal and interior sectors of the region. ;)

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Not seena copy yet, but I'm gonna try and find one at lunchtime. What is this North West place? Is it new? Sounds interesting? I'm gonna drive around it at the weekend to see what its like..... :)

I'll have a word with astrometrics and post a star chart up for you guys later.....

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Sir Miles Platting said:
All that's required to ameliorate the situation, is for more symbiosis between the coastal and interior sectors of the region. ;)
You could detect an almost self-conscious effort in edition 1, to represent the more coastal areas of the Great NW. ;)

I love stuff like this, the North West Times was excellent too, but failed due to being a daily addition to existing broadsheets. People didn't buy two papers as was hoped.

If anyone far from Manc is really eager to have a look at the NW Enquirer, I'd be happy to bang a copy in the post. There isn't an online edition yet.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Sir Miles Platting said:
All that's required to ameliorate the situation, is for more symbiosis between the coastal and interior sectors of the region. ;)
Ameliorate?
Symbiosis?
And?

:dunno:

·
Nasty piece of work
1,917 Posts
jrb said:
Indeed Roly.

MEN is now being given away free in the city centre, but still costs 35p in the suburbs?
I believe that the MEN is being circulated at workplaces and being delivered to people's homes in the city centre. They aren't just handing it out on the street like the Metro. It's only those who work or live in the city centre that are gonna get it.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Priscilla QOTD said:
I believe that the MEN is being circulated at workplaces and being delivered to people's homes in the city centre. They aren't just handing it out on the street like the Metro. It's only those who work or live in the city centre that are gonna get it.
They probably got some bad street vibe after they allowed City Life to die, which did the same thing (free issues that is).... and are trying to plug the gap that it left behind....rightly so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts