SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A proposed EVENING CHRONICLE article about the
Newcastle Forum of skyscrapercity.com . . .

I have, this morning, had a lengthy telephone conversation with the Features Editor, at the Evening Chronicle.

There are three main (significant) outcomes from this mornings conversation, two I will cover in this post, the third I will cover in a later post, when I have more information to put to the forum for discussion.
In continuation of my earlier post (quoted above) the third part of my discussions of the other morning with the Features Editor of the Evening Chronicle, about previous 'due credit' not being given to the forum for use of our material, centred around the possibility of the Evening Chronicle doing an article in the paper about us.

The article would be included as part of the Remember When/Your Memories section of the paper, so would concentrate on the "Historical" aspect of our forum, rather than on the "New Developments" aspect of it.

We discussed that the article could cover such things as . . .

1 - The forum's origins
2 - How it has subsequently developed
3 - It's value as a research tool, with the list of diverse subjects listed in the Index Thread
4 - It's own knowledgeable members
etc, etc.

It will definitely be (it was agreed) a very 'positive piece' about the forum, and that it could/would include the fruits of meetings and discussions with forum members, and perhaps some photos also.

I then asked Sarah Jeffery (who would, if the forum was in favour, be writing the article) if she was able to provide a bit more information about what the article could cover, what would be needed from us, and how she proposed obtaining what she might need from us?

She has written to me today . . .

-------Original Message-------

Date: 17/01/2013 12:43:44
To: @btopenworld.com
Subject: Re: Proposed 'Feature Article' about the Historical side of the Newcastle Forum of Skyscraper City.

Hi

NEWCASTLE FORUM OF SKYSCRAPER CITY - ARTICLE

I have spoken to the Features Editor and she would like me to write the article.

Ideally, I would like to speak to you, so please could you ring me any time between 10 -6. Alternatively, you could come into the Evening Chronicle office to see me one day or I could ring you if you email me a contact number.

I think the article should cover :

- How and when the forum started.
- Who was involved in setting it up and how it has developed over the years.
- What areas and subjects you cover.
- How people can access and join the forum.
- Information about some of your knowledgeable members, especially if they are happy to be identified in the article
- Do your members ever meet up at all?
- Also, if you could supply (say) 4 or 5 photos, that reflect and illustrate what the Forum covers, that would be great.

Ideally, we would like to feature the article next week, but that is not essential and depends on when we can obtain whatever your forum agrees to provide us with.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Sarah

SO . . .

If I can just leave this on the forum for a short while, for people to consider, and let me know what you think? Initial questions that occur to me, are

1 - Do members think this would be a good idea?

2 - Would any members be prepared to meet with Sarah to discuss things? (I know some people post on here under their own names, but others prefer to use a 'username' for privacy reasons.)

3 - What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our covereage of 'Historical' issues?

Please let me know about the above and/or anything that occurs to you!

·
12,972 Posts

If I can just leave this on the forum for a short while, for people to consider, and let me know what you think? Initial questions that occur to me, are

2 - Would any members be prepared to meet with Sarah to discuss things? (I know some people post on here under their own names, but others prefer to use a 'username' for privacy reasons.)

3 - What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our covereage of 'Historical' issues?

I don't see why not - in fairness to the Chronic' they re being fairly sporting as a number of the post [certainly some of mine] fall short of ringing endorsements of the paper. There is the risk as SM points out of an influx . but my reading of the posting here is that there is a core group who post regularly [daily to several times a week] and then 'dippers'. I'd not worry too much as perhaps there's a 'welcome' email that can be sent with conventions etc

I'd be happy to meet, though my postings are towards the boozy end of the spectrum with some history. Others Steve E, Percy T spring to mind off the top of my head are much more 'historical' and of course yourself NH. AL on pub history also

It really depends on the spin that they want to give this - either identify an issue or place where there has been a lot of discussion or is off the track, or where we have contributed to the 'sum of knowledge' [the eternal quest for the age of the Egypt Cottage, where I think we re-wrote the book, or the quest for the meaning of Egypt where we'e no further forwards.

Three other points:

• To me it is interesting that there is an active community here which co operates [usually anyway :)], shares information and research, in the main probably live and work within 15 inutes of each other but most wouldn't know each other from Adam, and
  • Make sure that this isn't presented as 'trainspotters on the web', and
  • Some of the questions suggest she might think that this is a newcastle thing. I'd let hr know that this is a division of [as I understand it the biggest forum in the world, and that because of regional interest NH [and AN Other - can t quite remember who sorry, long day] set up this vibrant regional group.

·
Northumberland Import
1,561 Posts
My fear remains the Eternal September one.

I see that too but I imagine the people who read that section of the Chronicle (or even those that buy the Chronicle) are more likely to offer a positive contribution than those who view it online or would skip that section.

The great fear would be being bombarded with covert advertising from new businesses and an influx of students wishing us to do their research for them (a la Ronnie Gill)

A positive could be the introduction of some more knowledgeable contributing members with great stories and memories to share with us or more local awareness of what's going on in terms of development and planning (or in the case of some sites...what isn't going on)

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
SO . . .

My two pennath.

1 - Do members think this would be a good idea? – Certainly, if the article exposes the Forum to a wider audience and even wider contributions then that can only be a good thing.

2 - Would any members be prepared to meet with Sarah to discuss things? (I know some people post on here under their own names, but others prefer to use a 'username' for privacy reasons.) – Yes, even though I would have to hobble to the Town on crutches.

3 - What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our coverage of 'Historical' issues?

A. We record for posterity historical (local and social) events that are happening now.
B. We highlight and discuss historical (local and social) that have happened in the past.
C. In the majority of cases we are able to answer questions on all things historical (local and social).
D. Historically important photographs and images (adverts etc) are posted and discussed.
E. Discussions on historical buildings ranging from the good to the ugly.
F. Discussions on pubs, religious, industrial and other such buildings of the past and the present.
G. Discussions, images etc on perhaps topics that aren’t generally covered on the Internet, such as Subterranean Newcastle.
H. Perhaps the onus should be on the fact that whilst as a forum we cover the area’s historical past we are also interested in its future.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Steve covers most of the main points really. The point about looking to the future as well as the past is a very valid one in particular.

I'd be happy to help in any way I could NH.

Steve

·
The Legend
13,176 Posts
I think this is a very positive thing for the forum. We all know how NJCMedia take a lot of our information and also how we also use parts of their articles in our forum and links them. I think it would be a great opportunity for us to gain NJCMedia into publicly acknowledging us (incase in future our relationship with them breaks down) and it could also be used as a great advertisement for potential new members who also wish to share their information, also maybe it could entice councillors and MP's to visit the forum to get a real and balanced opinion about whats happening in the area, and what could happen.

I myself would defiantly say go ahead with the interview. I'd like to say though that I think it's important to not only share how you run and add to the forum but also about other members, not necessarily those who provides us with inside information like Soult, Our MP friend from Heaton (who's name escapes me), etc but also to say how we have members who go out of their way to take pictures to keep up to date with the projects.

If I could print the article it would be a few pages long with accounts from a few members of the forum, however I do realise that it is likely to be a limited section.

As the article is going to be primarily about the historic area I would say that I wouldn't want to meet up because my knowledge of history in the area is limited and there is a large selection of members here who are more deserving to be credited in those areas than me. However I would ask though to have it explained that the forum covers much more than just historical events and possibly we could expand on that in another article, also you could drop it in that our forum covers anywhere from Berwick, Cumbria, and all the way down to North Yorkshire (Harrogate, Wetherby area), and Humberside and SSC itself covers the whole world.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
NH - Great job on getting recognition of the forum!

I am not that frequent a poster - I have contributed for a long time, but little and often! I must admit my main interest has always been in the urban development side of things too, though I do enjoy reading the posts on Newcastle's history.

Basically, I'm here if you need anything, but I suspect there are any number of more qualified and well informed local historians on here with much more to offer in this instance.

Though you should not dilute the piece too much, the reason this forum exists and is so useful as an indexed historical resource is down to your graft!!

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
My two pennath.

1 - Do members think this would be a good idea? – Certainly, if the article exposes the Forum to a wider audience and even wider contributions then that can only be a good thing.

2 - Would any members be prepared to meet with Sarah to discuss things? (I know some people post on here under their own names, but others prefer to use a 'username' for privacy reasons.) – Yes, even though I would have to hobble to the Town on crutches.

3 - What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our coverage of 'Historical' issues?

A. We record for posterity historical (local and social) events that are happening now.
B. We highlight and discuss historical (local and social) that have happened in the past.
C. In the majority of cases we are able to answer questions on all things historical (local and social).
D. Historically important photographs and images (adverts etc) are posted and discussed.
F. Discussions on pubs, religious, industrial and other such buildings of the past and the present.
G. Discussions, images etc on perhaps topics that aren’t generally covered on the Internet, such as Subterranean Newcastle.
H. Perhaps the onus should be on the fact that whilst as a forum we cover the area’s historical past we are also interested in its future.
I agree with all of the above but particularly the last point!

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
4 or 5 quick thoughts from me:-

The global coverage of SSC and the wide range in quality, accuracy, civility and decency to be found in some sections of the forum might not be something we all wish to be associated with. The fact that some of us might arrive here from a familiar 'bookmark' straight to the UK fora, or to the North East sub-section or even straight to the Newcastle sub-sub-section, will not be apparent to newcomers. They'll find all the, er, noise and offence which pervades many other sections.

I welcome any fruitful exchanges with other media which increases the opportunities for communicating factual or helpful information, assists the curious and accumulates and curates a repository of knowledge. But those are not what NCJ Media do (not any more).

I'd be content for newspaper readers being informed of SSC, but I'd be concerned at the volume of posts coming here which take the form of the usual chatter found in 'readers comments' under features in on-line newspaper sites. Much of which appears to me to be uninformed opinion gleaned from elsewhere.

There would be a risk of a high volume of posts from newcomers expecting to ask before looking; to chat before reading; to make complaints and rants before thinking.
All of these might generate the need for a significant amount of moderation. The debris will include a lot of trivial, impossible, vexatious or repeated questions and opinions. Of course, all this may be a temporary peak which wanes within a month or two.

I suspect that "the feature" in the press (or the impression given by "the feature") may paint the forum in from a skewed perspective, such as a group of "internet nerds" or a small club. Knowing quite a few others from the N.E. section personally, I'm aware that our differences are as significant as our commonalities. There might be some dissapointment, frustration or even bitterness among established contributors at the impression newcomers have of us.

Anyone coming here following a feature in the press will find this debate about whether or not we want to appear in the press (and how we want to be seen and thought of). That might make us appear to be a little clique of "internet buddies".

I expect that any "feature" in the press will be written, laid out and presented with only one aim in mind. The same aim as all other content in the local press.

For the honourable intention of 'spreading the good-word' of SSC (and perhaps a little vanity from having being asked), my assessment is that the consequences might just be that there's a bit of a mess on here for a while! And not much benefit.
I do wish I was wrong.

Having said that, if the mood of those presently contributing to the local section was to agree, then I would be willing to assist in any meeting and in follow-up writing and/or proof-reading.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES !! :)

So far, the most oft-repeated 'concern' is about the potential increase in members posting on here, caused by a sudden influx, after the article (if there is an article).

For all of those who have expressed that view, it is something I am considering very carefully.

I can assure you that, influx or not, there will be no change to the quality of this forum that remains, or my moderation of it, no changes at all!

It will still be the same 'unique' place, that existing members can come to and exchange information as we do now, and where we can converse in a friendly manner about the issues that interest us.

I am not afraid of hard work, so I will be quite content to carry out any temporary additional moderation, if needed.

Whatever is required.

Thanks again, some great responses!

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our covereage of 'Historical' issues?

It really depends on the spin that they want to give this - either identify an issue or place where there has been a lot of discussion or is off the track, or where we have contributed to the 'sum of knowledge' [the eternal quest for the age of the Egypt Cottage, where I think we re-wrote the book, or the quest for the meaning of Egypt where we'e no further forwards.

Three other points:

• To me it is interesting that there is an active community here which co operates [usually anyway :)], shares information and research, in the main probably live and work within 15 inutes of each other but most wouldn't know each other from Adam, and
  • Make sure that this isn't presented as 'trainspotters on the web', and
  • Some of the questions suggest she might think that this is a newcastle thing. I'd let hr know that this is a division of [as I understand it the biggest forum in the world, and that because of regional interest NH [and AN Other - can t quite remember who sorry, long day] set up this vibrant regional group.

NP,

Thanks for that.

Definitely some interesting topics to discuss there - some we have resolved and some we have not (yet, anyway!)

All your other points are valid too.

I have printed your post, with a view to discussing points raised at any meetings with the Chronicle.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My two pennath.

Would any members be prepared to meet with Sarah to discuss things? (I know some people post on here under their own names, but others prefer to use a 'username' for privacy reasons.)

Yes, even though I would have to hobble to the Town on crutches.
See you there!! :)

What do YOU think should be covered in the article, remembering it is about our coverage of 'Historical' issues?

Steve, you have highlighted many of the things that make this unique forum what it is.

Ideal points for inclusion in any article, I think.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this is a very positive thing for the forum. I'd like to say though that I think it's important to not only share how you run and add to the forum, but also about how other members go out of their way to take pictures to keep up to date with the projects.

Chris, thanks, another major point that should be emphasised in any article about us.

The "photographic" coverage of some of our projects, recorded in detail for posterity, is truly amazing.

We are so lucky to have forum members (you know who you are) who have done that (and are doing it now) to the great benefit of this forum.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve covers most of the main points really. The point about looking to the future as well as the past is a very valid one in particular.

I'd be happy to help in any way I could NH.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I'm sure I'll think of something!

(Mine's a pint . . )

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see that too but I imagine the people who read that section of the Chronicle (or even those that buy the Chronicle) are more likely to offer a positive contribution than those who view it online or would skip that section.

The great fear would be being bombarded with covert advertising from new businesses and an influx of students wishing us to do their research for them (a la Ronnie Gill)

A positive could be the introduction of some more knowledgeable contributing members with great stories and memories to share with us or more local awareness of what's going on in terms of development and planning (or in the case of some sites...what isn't going on)

Definitely agree with the first and third paras jkkne.

The 'middle' para, I agree with EVEN MORE.

It is something we would need to be on the lookout for!

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the honourable intention of 'spreading the good-word' of SSC (and perhaps a little vanity from having being asked), my assessment is that the consequences might just be that there's a bit of a mess on here for a while! And not much benefit.
I do wish I was wrong.

Having said that, if the mood of those presently contributing to the local section was to agree, then I would be willing to assist in any meeting and in follow-up writing and/or proof-reading.

Thans DX,

Lots of good points, and many things for me (and others) to think about before making a decision on the way forward.

I have copied your last two points, which seem to 'sum up' the thrust of your post.

1 - There may be a 'mess' for a while (others have mentioned that too) but that will be (if it happens) containable.

I hope that there will actually be 'more benefit' than 'mess' :)

2 - If we proceed, I am grateful for your offer of attending a meeting and of proof-reading any proposed article.

You saying that has made me add 'one more thing' to my list of issues to consider . . . will we get a proof copy to "agree" before publication?

Cheers DX.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have replied, individually, to some of the above comments and detailed responses from members, about the proposed "Evening Chronicle Article" about our forum.

If I have not replied to yours individually, sorry, it is because of time constraints.

I will be taking your post into consideration, so thanks for taking the time to make it.

Regards,
NH.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts

In continuation of my earlier post (quoted above) the third part of my discussions of the other morning with the Features Editor of the Evening Chronicle, about previous 'due credit' not being given to the forum for use of our material, centred around the possibility of the Evening Chronicle doing an article in the paper about us.

The article would be included as part of the Remember When/Your Memories section of the paper, so would concentrate on the "Historical" aspect of our forum, rather than on the "New Developments" aspect of it.

We discussed that the article could cover such things as . . .

1 - The forum's origins
2 - How it has subsequently developed
3 - It's value as a research tool, with the list of diverse subjects listed in the Index Thread
4 - It's own knowledgeable members
etc, etc.

It will definitely be (it was agreed) a very 'positive piece' about the forum, and that it could/would include the fruits of meetings and discussions with forum members, and perhaps some photos also.

I then asked Sarah Jeffery (who would, if the forum was in favour, be writing the article) if she was able to provide a bit more information about what the article could cover, what would be needed from us, and how she proposed obtaining what she might need from us?

She has written to me today . . .

SO . . .

Right, my two penneth...

I say go for it. I would make a point of the fact that the wider forum, including the Tyneside section, is primarily an architectural/development based website, but that it now covers all aspects of it, with a very healthy historical element to it. Maybe include a small selection of the type of threads discussed? Everything from particular new developments, to ideas for new sites, to photography of the city (including historical ones), to memories of the city and even local politics, restaurants and pub reviews.

If we get flooded for a little while, fine. Some people will appear briefly then leave. However we could really learn so much from new posters with different information and views.

Great idea I say.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts