SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
^^

So far, the most oft-repeated 'concern' is about the potential increase in members posting on here, caused by a sudden influx, after the article (if there is an article).

. . .
Generally speaking, I think expansion cannot do any harm and should in theory enrich our discussions and information gathering. On the other hand, I have been a member of other forums which have suddenly grown and found the same questions are asked over and over again to the frustration of older members.

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
Eternal September

Generally speaking, I think expansion cannot do any harm and should in theory enrich our discussions and information gathering. On the other hand, I have been a member of other forums which have suddenly grown and found the same questions are asked over and over again to the frustration of older members.
Which I now realize is what is meant by Eternal September.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Hi Percy,

Yes, I think you have hit upon the major 'concern issue' with this (for me and others) about a possible large influx of new members.

We currently get (on the Newcastle Forum) an average of five or six new members most weeks. That is already quite a lot!

Though not all new members are here to 'ask questions', that is why, as you may have noticed, I often have to post excerpts from the "Index" (to answer a question/advise of additional info/make them aware of the Index as a source of info, etc) and also explain that "it is one of six sticky-threads at the top of the forum", etc.

So, new members are already a regular occurrence.

The location of the proposed article (in the 'Remember When' section of the Chronicle) may well not be read by huge numbers of readers, and those that do read that section are (I feel) quite likely to be already interested in the subject (History) anyway!

So, I think we could well find that we 'gain' some interesting new members from this publicity . . . if we go ahead with it!

·
Geordieologist
1,439 Posts
I have a friend who works in the Local Studies department at the Central Library, and I asked her what's the most popular request. She said there's a constant stream of people coming in expecting to see their family tree, and they're always disappointed to find that the library doesn't hold this information on every citizen. The next most popular request is "will you dee mine for iz?".

I think that exposing this board to a wider audience would result in a temporary blip in the number of people seeking information about their family, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, if such requests could be confined to a specific thread.

Apart from that, I think the impact on this board is being over-estimated. Most people who have an interest in the history of Newcastle or the North East will probably stumble upon this place by accident, as results from here always rank highly in Google searches. Whether or not they choose to become regular posters depends entirely on the quality of their experience on their first visit.

The threads with the highest page views are the general historical ones, and rightly so, because of the wealth of information they contain. But what kept me coming back was the niche stuff. I have no interest whatsoever in trains, for example, but the level of knowledge and expertise on that thread is fascinating, and there are a lot of small details that contribute to a bigger picture of the region’s history as a whole. I can’t see any influx of new members impacting significantly on subjects such as this, or the core business of the board, which is architectural and construction projects in the city and wider region.

As for attracting trolls, trouble-makers and loons: I post on a couple of other boards where far more robust exchanges of opinion are tolerated. But this becomes the very reason that many people use them, and it can easily obscure the intended purpose of the boards. I think Newcastle Historian is particularly adept at nipping this behaviour in the bud – although I confess I sometimes sail close to the wind – and if he’s prepared to put in a little extra work on this front, I can’t see it being a problem. If this is to be a resource that is open and inviting for people of all ages, religions, ethnicities, political persuasions etc, then I’m happy with the current level of moderation and will abide by it as best I can. It certainly won't kill the board.

In summary, I can see no harm in exposing this board to a wider audience, I doubt it’ll be swamped by nutters, but most importantly I welcome the possibility of more input from new people who know stuff that I don’t know – which is the main reason I come on here.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a friend who works in the Local Studies department at the Central Library, and I asked her what's the most popular request. She said there's a constant stream of people coming in expecting to see their family tree, and they're always disappointed to find that the library doesn't hold this information on every citizen. The next most popular request is "will you dee mine for iz?".

I think that exposing this board to a wider audience would result in a temporary blip in the number of people seeking information about their family, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, if such requests could be confined to a specific thread.

Interesting thought, that specific aspect had NEVER occurred to me!

If we go ahead with the article, it will be something to look out for.

I can see a "Family History Questions" thread coming out of this.

I can see the logic behind that thought though, and if you knew about my past you would know that I would have more than a few questions myself, too!!

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the impact on this board is being over-estimated. Most people who have an interest in the history of Newcastle or the North East will probably stumble upon this place by accident anyway, as results from here always rank highly in Google searches. Whether or not they choose to become regular posters depends entirely on the quality of their experience on their first visit.

The threads with the highest page views are the general historical ones, and rightly so, because of the wealth of information they contain. But what kept me coming back was the niche stuff. I have no interest whatsoever in trains, for example, but the level of knowledge and expertise on that thread is fascinating, and there are a lot of small details that contribute to a bigger picture of the region’s history as a whole. I can’t see any influx of new members impacting significantly on subjects such as this, or the core business of the board, which is architectural and construction projects in the city and wider region.

If this forum is to be a resource that is open and inviting for people of all ages, religions, ethnicities, political persuasions etc, then I’m happy with the current level of moderation and will abide by it as best I can. It certainly won't kill the board.

In summary, I can see no harm in exposing this board to a wider audience, I doubt it’ll be swamped by nutters, but most importantly I welcome the possibility of more input from new people who know stuff that I don’t know – which is the main reason I come on here.

Yes, as has already been said previously, we already get a constant stream of new members, so I don't think we should get too swamped, if at all, and if we did it woulod be short-term only.

I agree with all of your other points Al, thanks for the response.

·
12,963 Posts
Yes, as has already been said previously, we already get a constant stream of new members, so I don't think we should get too swamped, if at all, and if we did it woulod be short-term only.

I agree with all of your other points Al, thanks for the response.
It's the Remember When of the Chronic', not the front of the New York Times, we'll not have that many read it.

·
Northumberland Import
1,561 Posts
It's the Remember When of the Chronic', not the front of the New York Times, we'll not have that many read it.
It's all relative!

Ronnie Gill circ figures are average 50,000 copies a day with 170,115 average issue readers and an extended reach of 366,753 readers. A 1/4 of all adults in its' area (so say Trinity!)

But your right, I don't think there will be a massive spike and if anything I think the number of pageviews from unregistered members (lurkers) will increase a lot and I think we'll see people come to the forum and have a good read through before registering (if they ever do)

It would be really interesting to see students from architecture courses (like the Open Spaces exhibit in the Newgate) and from our Universities get involved in some of the discussions

One thing I meant to ask...will the EC be providing any form of contribution towards your time NH or the SSC Group servers etc?

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
One thing I meant to ask...will the EC be providing any form of contribution towards your time NH or the SSC Group servers etc?

The proposed article is something that is mutually beneficial to both parties, so there is no payment involved.

Interesting idea though!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
My view is essentially the Same as Steve's post above.

I may be wrong (and usually am), but I think fears of a mass influx of new members is perhaps a little unrealistic. I'm sure there will be some new people - and probably more from NE exiles who access the online version of the paper (assuming any article on SSC will be available online) than from the paper version. But this is opportunity rather than threat.

·
Northumberland Import
1,561 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes Wilf, Remember When.... is available online so I'd assume the SSC articles would be

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/history-newcastle-north-east/remember-when/2013/01/16/whatever-happened-to-the-likely-lads-40-years-on-72703-32611193/

One other opportunity that I note is the comments feature of the EC which allows people to discuss the article could perhaps be disabled for those articles and a discussion encouraged on here?

I'll remember that, as a topic for my discussions with Sarah.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My view is essentially the Same as Steve's post above.

I may be wrong (and usually am) but I think fears of a mass influx of new members is perhaps a little unrealistic. I'm sure there will be some new people - and probably more from NE exiles who access the online version of the paper (assuming any article on SSC will be available online) than from the paper version.

But this is opportunity rather than threat.

I'm beginning (while assessing all the variously mentioned 'pros and cons' posts, more to come I'm sure) to come round to that way of thinking.

At the moment!

(THANKS everyone!!)

·
Registered
602 Posts
We rightly grumble when the Chronicle or Journal gets things wrong, or 'recycles' material that we have posted here or elsewhere - as you know, I experienced it myself a couple of years ago, when chunks of a blog I'd written were 'reused' without permission or credit.

To be fair to NCJ, though, they've been very good since I had a go at them about that, and I've been more than happy to be interviewed and quoted by them - surprisingly accurately, most of the time - many times since.

The same is true in this context, really. If the article is a chance to talk about something we're passionate about and proud of, and NCJ are genuinely interested in celebrating that, it would be churlish not to accept it with grace and enthusiasm.

I'd echo the point about no likely influx of new members, mind you. People who are interested in the topics we talk about are just as likely to already find the forums via Google or a link from elsewhere - just as I did, a few years ago - as they are to be prompted by a Chronicle piece.

Still, what is there to lose, really?

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If the proposed article is a chance to talk about something we're passionate about and proud of, and NCJ are genuinely interested in celebrating that, it would be churlish not to accept it with grace and enthusiasm.

What is there to lose, really?

Good points Graham.

All of the post in truth, but I chose to quote the one para above, as it mentions (what we see on here every day, from many members) how I and others feel about our subject on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forum but have been lurking for a while.

Looks like plans for a SkyscraperCity/EC feature could be out the window.

Trinity Mirror journo job losses - via Holdthefrontpage.co.uk

15 jobs to go. This will affect the entire features team based in Newcastle, with features being transferred to the Liverpool hub. Not to mention the various chiefs and subs who are also affected.

Whether or not Liverpool will entertain your idea I do not know!

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Evening Chronicle Article about the SSC Newcastle Forum

Firstly, can I make my apologies to the forum for letting the momentum for this project slip so badly.

It has been a fair few weeks since the discussion was last refreshed, as I have had a very limited amount of time to dedicate to it (and to the forum generally) for family reasons.

So, I decided to now really 'refresh it' by giving it it's own thread!

I have copied into this new thread, without detracting from the overall coverage of the general "Media in Newcastle" thread, some of the pre-existing posts that were specifically about this proposed Evening Chronicle article.

Taking into account many of the ideas submitted by members (which was difficult as only a few hundred 'words' are available for use in the article) I was recently able to submit my own version of an article to Sarah, for her consideration.

I also submitted a number of scans and photos (already used on this forum) for possible use with the article, with a view to choosing those that were "genuinly unique" to this forum, and that also represented the Historical Section of the forum, as it has grown and developed.

Remember, this proposed article is about the 'Historic' side of our forum (for the 'Remember When' section of the Chronicle) though I have made sure that the 'current and future developments' aspect of what we do here, is mentioned also.

Possible scope for future articles perhaps!

Today, I have received e-mails from Sarah, and have talked at length with her on the phone, and it is almost certain that the article about us will be in the Evening Chronicle next Monday . . .

Monday 25th February 2013.

E-Mail of today, from Sarah . . .

-------Original Message-------

Date: 20/02/2013 16:13:56
To: @btopenworld.com
Subject: Proposed Skyscraper City (Historic Newcastle) Article

Hi

I have written my article about the Newcastle Forum of Skyscrapercity.com using the information you have provided. I also referred back to our previous emails and the thread about the article on your site, to try to ensure I have included all points raised by people on the site.

The article will be in published in the Evening Chronicle on Monday 25th February, if this date changes (which it may do) I will of course let you know.

Someone on your site made a comment about whether the article would be published online. At present not all of our Remember When articles go on the Chronicle's website, I hope this one will but it is not my decision.

Kind regards

Sarah

So, there it is.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed to this, and don't forget to get out and buy your copy of next Monday's COLLECTORS ITEM copy of the Evening Chronicle !!

:)

·
12,963 Posts
Evening Chronicle Article about the SSC Newcastle Forum

Firstly, can I make my apologies to the forum for letting the momentum for this project slip so badly.

It has been a fair few weeks since the discussion was last refreshed, as I have had a very limited amount of time to dedicate to it (and to the forum generally) for family reasons.

So, I decided to now really 'refresh it' by giving it it's own thread!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed to this, and don't forget to get out and buy your copy of next Monday's COLLECTORS ITEM copy of the Evening Chronicle !!

:)
Good job NH.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
From reading the comments it has had a good bit of interest and input and great guidance by NH. Looking forward to reading the article.

Well done to all.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts