SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Well done! That is quite an endorsement and great recognition for those who put lots of effort into the forum as an archive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well Done!

Really good job. I would also like to say that this is one of my favourite places to visit online and really appreciate the amount of time and effort everyone puts into every Newcastle related thread.

·
Northumberland Import
1,561 Posts
I bought the Ronnie Gill just for it. Nicely done article.

It'd be fantastic if NH or the SSC community 'guest-edited' one of the Remember When magazine editions

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well done NH (Peter, I don't know if you've used your name on here before, but a bit like finding out your teachers first name haha), and to all those involved. Once again an endorsement of the great work you do, gathering information and moderating.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Be worth seeing if we get an increase in membership/hits - NH I m sure you can monitor this sort of thing.

I always monitor stats like that anyway, and I try to 'greet' all new members, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

As an aside, this newspaper article has also got our forum a lot of favourable publicity in the worldwide (Moderators) forums of SSC, where there are threads about "Skyscrapercity in the news" etc.

This is an unexpected bonus, as it is never a bad thing in the very large world that is SSC these days, for the forum to become better known for positive reasons. I constantly 'bat' for us in these areas, but this has helped the cause.

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Following Tuesdays (25th February) Evening Chronicle article, I received the below from Sarah . . .

-------Original Message-------

Date: 26/02/2013 16:51:44
To: @btopenworld.com
Subject: Skyscraper City (Historic Newcastle) Article - Evening Chronicle, Monday 25th february 2013

Hi Peter

I have just looked at the thread on the forum, and the comments. I'm just relieved that everyone seems happy about the article.

I have attached a PDF of the article, for your records, as promised.

I would be very happy to do some more joint articles with you in the future (if you are) and will be in touch.

Kind regards

Sarah

So, that might be something we could all consider?

What topics could we cover in the next article, if we do one, do people think?

While I think it would need to be from a historical angle at this stage (Sarah writes in the 'Remember When' section of the Chronicle) we could perhaps emphasise within it how our historical development has led to the City and region we have today.

Or, there are many and various more specific historical 'subjects' or history of 'places' we could focus in on (Mining history, for example?).

Then, we could perhaps follow on from these historical aspects, to doing a related (follow on) article, about how we on the forum go about covering actual current developments.

I mean, some of our "photo recording" on here of demolitions and construction projects (step-by-step) is nothing short of amazing, in my book.

Well worth a future article!

Interested to hear what people think, and of course I will need to discuss it with the Chronicle. It is all just "thoughts" at the moment!

·
Super Moderator
22,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Interesting that it says SSC was developed in the US. I've always been under the impression that it was founded in Holland. Everything seemed to stem from the original Dutch Hoogbouw forums set up by Jan.

Now, that was my fault, I told Sarah that.

It was in the back of my mind (while I was telling her) that it was wrong, but I was passing a lot of information over at the time. No excuse :bash:

Here is the story of the start of SSC . . .

The History Of Skyscrapercity.com

First there were the Holland Hoogbouw Forums as an EZboard (March 2001) and a European Skyscraper forum (May 2001) both later on (September 2001) upgraded to an Ikonboard one. Around that time, an Australian board was formed, and a 'World Skyscrapers' one a few weeks later.

Because of beef between the Brits and the Germans, two separate boards were created for them to leave Euroscrapers. These were all individual boards, hosted on several web servers as side projects. When all these started to grow, the host started to complain about bandwidth use, and all project had to go within the week.

A new server and new forum software was found (vBulletin) and it opened up on September 11, 2002, for no other reason than because that was the day all forums had to move out.

All forums were merged into this one, named: Skyscrapercity. A French board and Polish board were created. Despite the 11th of September as a launch date, the first members had been Jan and Gothicform on the 25th of July 2002, followed on the 28th July by De Snor as the project had been in the making for six weeks.

On the first day about 165 extra people joined and by the end of the day there were about 201 members, including moderators. In more recent years quite a number of new communities have grown, up to the point where pretty much every area has been covered.

These days Skyscrapercity has a membership level equivalent to the population of a medium sized city, and by many ways of counting the figures, is the most popular forum on the internet.

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Newcastle Metro Area Forum of Skyscraper City - covered in a Chronicle article on 11/09/15

Very good article in "Nostalgia" section, over 2 pages, including text about Skyscrapercity site and 15 of Steve's Ghost Sign pictures, in paper edition of The Chronicle on Friday 11/09/15

Raise your eyes to see "ghost signs" of North East

This scanned copy of the text (from page 32), more pictures on page 33

Image hosted on Photobucket

Assume will makle the Chronicle Live website

KEN

41 - 60 of 64 Posts