SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
22,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a proposed new development on a unique site in uMhlanga. It would be a mixed use commercial and residential development raised above the roadways and under it housing the main BRT terminus for umhlanga.

Location is signalled by the logo

·
22,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Umhlanga new town needs some height and more disruptive architecture. Greening of development seems less of a thing in SA, but durban had the weather for it, so it is odd it is not happening more

·
Registered
220 Posts
One other main reason we fell in love with Durban, besides the beach and the landscape, was the architecture. Durban was not our Joburg's endless square boxes, but each architect seemed to want to outdo the other, whether it was Sanlam centre or 88Fields street, or the beautiful buildings on Victoria Embankment, whether it was Elangeni or Maharani, or Old Mutual West str or endless great architecture on Durban's beach front, Durban was a marvel, and then its parks with those beautiful colourful flowers and then Durban's Christmas decor. And then Hindu architectural masterpieces I used to love by ML Sultan and the one in Chartsworth. Muslims as well had great designs. Durban churches remain great in design compared to churches I know. Each mall in Durban was different from the next, unlike gioing inside East Gate and feeling like you are in Sandton and then still feeling likeyou are in Cresta, no unique signature. So pls Durban, be Durban!!!

Umhlanga is very beautiful, but I was seeing what used to bore me about Joburg seemingly starting to become in Umhlanga Ridge's design, sort of similar designs, hardly anything trying to even coil like 88Fields or be live Elangeni's wave. But walking Umhlanga ridge streets has great life, whilst Sandton has no soul - get to work and go home (or buy and get the hell out) is the Sandton typical Joburg design (Joburg malls used to be so heartless there was no bench to sit, until Durban ppl came to Joburg), not even a park to sit down and relax. So thanks if Umhlanga Ridge starts to beDurban in Architecture, pity many great designs are short and can only be seen if you are on the given street and there are many.

·
22,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that the new town is starting to get more of a buzz each time I visit. The densifying is helping. But there is a long way to go. We do need more daring architecture. More of a mix of styles and textures. It feels like it is starting to come with some of the new launches

1 - 5 of 5 Posts