SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best girlfriend is Icelandic and I was studying there for a year once, and she was an avid photographer and took some amazing pictures. Some of my best life experiences have been in this country, and in particular, in the city of Reykjavik. It's a very cool city that's basically a cross between a European and American city. It's very spread out because it has developed exponentially in the last 30 years. Again, these are not conventional pictures of the city and are not of the tourist spots...this is just life in the suburbs of the city, and on New Years Eve btw.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xäntårx said:
Reykjavik looks more American than most European cities. Look at its suburban sprawl.

Yes this is because Reykjavik developed 90% of what it is today after 1950, when the US built Keflavik airforce base. Obviously we can decuct from this that Reykjavik was built during the height of the automobile. Thus, Reykjavik sadly is very designed for the car but the center of it is very European and walkable.

Before the aid of the US in 1950, Iceland was the poorest country in Europe until the US came to help (Now it is in the top 10 richest). Reykjavik in 1900 was just 6,000 people, now including the metro it is 210,000. Iceland before was just composed of villages and farms. It's amazing how far the country has come since then. It is a highly modern, cosmopolotain and well educated country with little crime and the 7th highest standard of living in the world.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Great pics, especially the firework ones!

It's amazing what a small desolate rock in the middle of nowhere can become - truly amazing!

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
Hope to visit Iceland someday, to be frank, I have been to Scandinavia last May, but it was a pity that I couldn't afford travelling to Iceland and Finland.

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Although it is extremely cold , the city is beautiful and magnificent !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very nice pics !! Thank you a lot !
Is there some violence problems in Reykjavik ? We could think that yes because it's a big city and most of thebig cities do have violence problems .... but we could also think that not because Iceland seem to be a "wealthy" country, well develloped with not a lot of poor people !!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i.q.ninja said:
why are there non whites living there?
Because Iceland is a modern, well-developed Scandinavian country where people seeking better lives go to...

Iceland has an unemployment rate of 1% and they need more people to fill in more jobs because they need more workers, which is why they are taking in immigrants from the Phillipines and Poland and other places.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts