Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd get to it and start a thread where anyone who wants to create a banner can go ahead and post it here. The trouble with the banners is that have to be a particular size. I believe it is 719x123 pixels, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I took Wada's pano from a few days ago (I hope you don't mind) and turned it into a banner just as an example of the size and shape they need to be. I've been trying to turn some other pictures into banners, but the problem is that all the pictures end up looking squashed. Wada's came up pretty decent though. If it had been taken on a sunnier day, I think it would be absolutely perfect. Anyhow, take a look:

UPDATE June 8, 2007
Clearly, the most popular designs thus far are these three:

·
Registered
473 Posts
For us locals that shot is far more interesting. It's rare that we see the city from that perspective.

That said, I think we need to incorporate the inner harbor, CBD, and harbor east into the shot. The whole wow factor...

·
1,844 Posts
Nice one for starting this thread, Peter. I had set a reminder to do so last night. However, when I looked at my panos, none of them really screamed "banner" to me. They all either have ugly buildings in the foreground (!) or construction sites.

Of course, banners don't have to be panos. If anyone has some time on their hands, please feel free to use any images from my web site (below) if you need more material to create a montage banner. They are compressed, but should be high enough quality to be shrunk to banner size! If watermarks are in the way I can supply originals. I would give it a go myself but don't have the time right at the moment.

·
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Nice job, Maniac. Welcome to the forum. I like your avatar too. I think just about any of those would make a cool banner. I think the middle one is exactly what you were talking about, southbalto, with the harbor, the aquarium, etc. The classic view from Federal Hill. I really like the top two though, they're very unique.

That said, West Palm Beach has beaten us to a banner. This is war!

·
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed!

We should set up a date for submissions. June 30th maybe? We set up a poll and decide which banner we would like to submit.

Discuss....:cheers:
Sounds like a fun idea. I didn't know you actually had to submit them. I thought the mods just saw them and took them. Where does the submission take place?

If we go through all the trouble of setting up a competition, they better post a banner of Baltimore!!!!! ;)

·
1,844 Posts
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought maybe we could use some of these?
Wow, talk about making an entrance! Thanks for these; they are all really great. The night shot would be my second choice but my favourite is the top one:

Its' quite unusual and really catches the eye. However, I don't think we need to limit ourselves to one submission.

I have slightly bad news though, guys. I just found the banner submission thread and it is currently closed because they have enough banners for the next three months:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=346135&page=5

It does say to PM Jan (see thread) if you think your location deserves a banner! That has got to be worth a shot. If not, we'll have to make sure we don't miss the boat for September!

·
Banned
25 Posts
Hey guys, have stumbled onto this site many times researching vacant property and finally decided to register. I saw this thread and thought I would throw up 2 of my pano shots.

·
Unregistered User
270 Posts
Great thread! Baltimore sure deserves a banner. I wonder what the rules say about the SC logo and city name in the right corner. Does that get added by the mods? Can anyone point to an official SC banner thread?

My suggestion is that most popular banners be added to the first post.

Here's my submission:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts