SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,603 Posts
Hello All Members

Welcome to the Official City Council Q&A Thread

This new thread is something unique, something very new to this forum.

Here on the forum we regularly discuss (often in great detail) the many and varied issues and subjects of interest to us from around ‘Newcastle and the North East’. Many of those discussions tend to concern issues, developments, “non” developments, events, etc, that fall within the Newcastle City Boundary.

To that end, I have got the agreement of a contact at the City Council, who has joined the forum, and has agreed to answer specific questions that we put to him.

We have never had a situation like this before, here on the forum, so I am very grateful to my contact at the City for agreeing to do this. It is an opportunity for any of you to obtain an ‘official response’ about issues in the City that concern you.

To make this work to our ‘mutual benefit’, as my contact is looking forward to obtaining feedback from ourselves too as we are a particular grouping of knowledgeable, aware, and interested people on this forum (at least, that’s what I have told him we are!) we probably need to set out a few simple guidelines . . .

(1) Only one question at a time please. So, whoever’s posts (question) appears first on this thread, in the event of multiple questions appearing at about the same time, gets their question answered first.
(2) Remember, to answer some detailed questions may take some time, with references having to be made to other members of the Authority.
(3) Please avoid personal criticisms and/or questions about specific members of the City Council. That is not what this Q&A thread is for.
(4) I’m sure I don’t need to say this (but I will) please remember to always be considerate in the phraseology of your questions and responses. My contact has willingly agreed to partake in this, so no harsh or aggressive language in questions or follow-on replies please.

Beyond that, I don’t think there is anything more I need to say at this stage, we should be able to get a great deal of useful new information out of this.

So, off we go . . . "Questions Please" . . .

From Newcastle Pubs

I've taken the liberty of typing into NH's post to keep the layout of the thread with 'question 1st'. This is a real result from NH and we ought to be grateful to NCC.

Can I endorse NH's comments - this is something NCC don't have to do and consequently [me definitely included in this] think before you type :cheers:

Also I'd suggest we keep questions to real questions - it's tempting to ask a sort of rhetorical one to make a point but for this to be useful it ought to be 'real' questions.

Finally, there will be occasions where NCC just can't answer. We should respect that. This is something that they are doing to help us - it's a testament especially to NH and his work but also to all contributors - whose work makes SSC a valuable resource. I ve not seen this sort of Council engagement anywhere else on SSC.

So as NH said 'So, off we go . . . "Questions Please" . . .'

·
Super Moderator
22,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My contact at the Civic Centre, while he agrees the "one question at a time" procedure as the ongoing routine for the future, has asked that we initially "build up" a selection of questions, so that he can get a feel for the issues concerning us, and to get the debate going.

He would be happy to receive 'lengthy and detailed' specific questions about the current issues and topics that we would like to know more about, or that we have our own strong opinions about.

·
Super Moderator
22,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This forum has closely followed all of the recent improvements to Central Station and the area that has been (and still is being) landscaped and paved, in front of it (the 'Central Station Gateway').

This has been covered in detail on our forum "Central Station Re-development Thread" - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1600715

One major 'unfinished aspect' of this concerns the (extremely important to the success of 'The Stephenson Quarter') vital work on the new rear entrance to Central Station.

This is the last we saw about it . . .

Looking forward to "Phase 2" of the Central Station Gateway Project (as discussed in the above article) particularly construction of the new Southern Entrance to Central Station . . .

Source - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busi...-central-station-regeneration-powers-12484930
Can you advise when this work will commence?

Things seem to have gone very quiet on this project, in recent times, and I cannot find anything (new) about it anywhere?

·
13,570 Posts
Given recent statements made by mobikes regarding their review of their presence are there any discussions within the council, between the council and mobikes and/or between the council and ne1 with a view to any subsidy, payment or other financial inducement being made to mobikes to retain their presence in the city..ta dah :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can I please ask.
Does the Council believe the changes to Neville St have been a success? Neville St gets hugely congested/gridlocked at all times of the day now, but especially when 'Inter-city' trains arrive into Central.
Is the council considering any changes to the road layout to alleviate these issues? Would it consider moving a set of traffic lights from the corner of Neville St/Clayton St West further back so the Short stay car park exit becomes a signal controlled exit.
And lastly, Why is there a 24hr bus lane enforced by cameras, when buses through the City don't run 24hrs a day?

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
In light of the recent goings on at NUFC I think it's important to ask who owns SJP/the land it sits on. I'm under the impression it is owned by either NCC or the Freeman of Newcastle and leased to NUFC. I'm also under the impression that it's only able to be leased to NUFC and no other company. So it's important to know, if it is leased to NUFC then what are the terms of the lease (payments, lease length, renewal policies), and is it possible for Mike Ashley to buy the lease for his MASH holdings?

·
Phil100
308 Posts
Four as far as I'm aware. One on the Great North Road and one on the Coast Road by the Corner House are council funded. One in Gosforth is community funded. One on Walker Road is funded by the Walker ward committee.

The link that Steve provided showed that there are eight of which only two are funded by the local authority.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The link that Steve provided showed that there are eight of which only two are funded by the local authority.
Yes, it's a touchy subject. As well as the four Greg listed there's another one by the Ashfield Nursery on Elswick Road - this has been a bit patchy recently, perhaps due to ill health.

·
Super Moderator
22,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this true?

Free parking for electric vehicles is being scrapped in Newcastle
Green vehicles have been able to park in council car parks for free but that right will be revoked in just over a month

Notices have been put up in City Council car parks which say the changes will come into operation on October 8, 2018.

Electric vehicle bays at Dean Street, Eldon Garden, Grainger Town, Quayside Multi Storey Car Parks, Argyle Street, Civic Centre, Leazes Park Road, Sandyford Square and St Nicholas Avenue will all be subject to the change.
More: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/free-parking-electric-vehicles-being-15091597

Not clear if this covers on street parking too.

Seems rather against the council's green agenda [or if you like a bit early, at some time it would have to be cut when there are a lot of electric cars but there aren't yet..]

·
Part Time Contributor
43,436 Posts
^^^^

CITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE (OFF STREET PARKING PLACES) ORDER 2009 (ELECTRIC VEHICLES VARIATION) ORDER 2018

1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that on 23 August 2018 the Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne (“the Council”) made an Order under Sections 32, 35 and Part IV of Schedule 9 to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which amends the City of Newcastle upon Tyne (Off Street Parking Places) Order 2009 (“the Off Street Order”).

2. The effect of the Order, which will come into operation on 8 October 2018, is to -

(a) remove the provision for free parking of Electric Vehicles within the Council’s off street car parks (surface and multi-storey car parks). Drivers using the Electric Vehicle parking bays located in any of the Council’s car parks will be required to pay the relevant parking charge for the car park. Details of the charges applicable at each car park can be seen on the tariff boards located in each car park or on the Council’s website www.newcastle.gov.uk (under Car parks and on street parking and then using the link to Information on car parks and off street parking). There is no charge for the use of electricity whilst recharging; and

(b) introduce a provision that vehicles must be connected to the recharging post relating to the Electric Vehicle parking bay.

Note - There are currently Electric Vehicle parking bays in Dean Street, Eldon Garden, Grainger Town and Quayside Multi Storey Car Parks, and in Arygle Street, Civic Centre, Leazes Park Road, Sandyford Square and St Nicholas Avenue surface car parks.

3. Documents giving more detailed particulars of the Order (including draft Order, car park map/information and a statement of the Council’s reasons for proposing to make the Order), and the Off Street Order are available for inspection at -

(a) Customer Services, Central Library, Charles Avison Building, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX between 10.00am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and

(b) Newcastle Civic Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH between 9.00am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Further information may be obtained by telephoning the Council’s Parking section on (0191) 2787878 ext. 28930.

4. If you wish to question the validity of the above Order or of any of its provisions on the grounds that it or they are not within the powers conferred by the Act or that any relevant requirements have not been complied with in relation to the Order you may, within six weeks from 23 August 2018, apply to the High Court for this purpose.

Dated: 29 August 2018

L Scott, Service Manager Democratic Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH

TM Ref: 225533385-01

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
We've seen some development from NE1 at the Bigg Market and it is a welcome change with the toilets now being turned into something useful too. The area is going through a very slow change and there are development happening in White Hart Yard which will/should revive the cloth market. Is it the intention of the council to drive this area of the city to a complete change in clientele and offerings through planning?

·
13,570 Posts
We've seen some development from NE1 at the Bigg Market and it is a welcome change with the toilets now being turned into something useful too. The area is going through a very slow change and there are development happening in White Hart Yard which will/should revive the cloth market. Is it the intention of the council to drive this area of the city to a complete change in clientele and offerings through planning?
Oooo good question :cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts