SkyscraperCity banner

521 - 540 of 552 Posts

·
Josip B
5 Posts
Hi all please suggest a DSLR camera for wild photography under 1 lakh indian rupees. Canon or nikon is preferable
I would recommend Pentax bacause (of course, at my opinion) they offer most for the money, and lower models are weather seales which may be important to you.
exact model if I am buying now would be K-S2 so you have enough money for telephoto lens (Tamron, Sigma...)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Is it possible for you to change the Bangladesh thread title from Bangladesh 'one photo per day' to Bangladesh 'some photos per day' we haven't followed the rules since 2013.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I just got my hands on a DSLR and have never taken much of a interest in Photography before hence I'm an utter noob.

I wanna start playing around with it a little by taking some nightshots, particularly with this perspective in mind:

I'm going for this classic "city by night" look. Any tips on how to achieve satisfying results?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm going for this classic "city by night" look. Any tips on how to achieve satisfying results?
You definitely need a tripod. The photo you posted could have been taken without a tripod, but it is very noisy (grainy). Usually you want a large depth of field at night (sometimes a shallow one works, but it has to be a specific purpose), so you will need a long exposure, which is why you need a tripod. Most people can't handhold longer than 1/30 second and still be sharp. I like to keep the ISO low to reduce noise, but will go up to ISO 800 or 1600 if necessary.

Expose for the sky or overexpose just slightly. If you exposed for the streets in this photo, the sky would be completely blown out (white). Using auto, the camera will try to balance the scene to be gray and will often give you something you don't want. I use manual mode. Especially at night, manual mode is necessary because most of the scene could be black and the camera will want to expose much longer than you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to keep all of that in mind :) Just so you know the pic I posted was taken with my shitty smartphone camera, I just wanted to see whether this was a perspective worthy of capturing.

I actually took this atop some speedlimit sign that was rather easily accesible, not sure if mounting it with a tripod will be possible. I'll post the results once I get to it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any friends here ever done the magic cloth method taking long exposure shots? Heard that it's better than using any filter especially taking shots of waterfalls/sunset and night shots? Is it true?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Any friends here ever done the magic cloth method taking long exposure shots? Heard that it's better than using any filter especially taking shots of waterfalls/sunset and night shots? Is it true?
This is also called the black card method. I tried once with a black case, but it didn't turn out for me. Of course, I didn't practice at it either. For this method, I'd think you would need a straight horizon, or at least something straight that intersects the field of view at two end points, because you're literally covering part of the lens.

Theoretically, you could control the scene with a black cloth or card more than a filter because the filter is set to a specific darkness. If you practice, I'm sure you could get good shots. This guy certainly did.

·
Ethnic Progeny
1,018 Posts
I have a question about RF triggers..

I have been using YN 603N wireless triggers with my D90 for a while now and its performing great.. I want to buy another set of the same model and make. Will the old units trigger the new? Are the frequencies the same or can you set the frequencies?

:):)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you're buying two more of the exact same model, I don't see why they wouldn't work together. I'm assuming you're wanting to use more flashes. Surely the frequencies from the same model would work with any in production. That would be quite terrible of them to make the same model but not compatible!:)

This is from Amazon: Both of them can be a receiver as well as transmitter. It can trigger 1 flash with one set, since one serves as trigger and one as receiver. You can also buy additional transceivers to trigger 2 or more flashes at the same time.

·
Employee of the Year !
1,169 Posts
the problem with long exposures is your stars will become trails because the earth is constantly moving (1 degree every four minutes, if I am not mistaken).
If the earth was fixed, and instead, the universe was turning around us, we would have trails aswel ;)

Imagine this !

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi everyone i'm a 'beginner' and i'm having a hard time improving the quality of the pictures that I take. I use a Sony a6000 with the 3.5-5.6/16-50 lens and the 4.5-6.3/55-210. The problem is that when I take pictures, they don't turn out as crisp as I would like. Here is an example picture.

DSC09603 by ploppalopp, on Flickr

I was using the 55-210 lens with a the shutter speed of 1/125, f/6.3, and ISO at 100. Now if you zoom in on the picture, you can see that the ore dock is somewhat grainy. I had my camera set on the ground and used a timer to make sure that I wasn't shaking it when I took this picture. So, if I want to focus clearly on the ore dock, should i have a slow shutter speed (10-20 seconds) and close the aperture (f20 or more)? When I tried this, it turned out even grainier.

I used the same settings for the picture below and it turned out better i guess but I wish I could get it to be sharper. So in general, if I want to focus really well on a skyline in the distance, should I set the aperture to a high or low number and should I set the shutter speed to be slow?

DSC09590 by ploppalopp, on Flickr

Any help and general tips would be really greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
78,589 Posts
^^

Those pics look hazy to me, what was the weather like on that day, did you do any post processing with any editing program?

What I'd suggest is take a few pics with automatic mode and see whats the exposures that includes the aperture, shutter speed and ISO the little computer inside your camera would use and start from there.

·
Administrator
78,589 Posts
Also, your pics look somewhat over exposed, on a bright day I would use f 9, 11 or even smaller aperture and shutter speed would be at 125 or 250 depending on how bright the sun is.

·
archoptical.uk
452 Posts
Hi everyone i'm a 'beginner' and i'm having a hard time improving the quality of the pictures that I take. I use a Sony a6000 with the 3.5-5.6/16-50 lens and the 4.5-6.3/55-210. The problem is that when I take pictures, they don't turn out as crisp as I would like.

I was using the 55-210 lens with a the shutter speed of 1/125, f/6.3, and ISO at 100. Now if you zoom in on the picture, you can see that the ore dock is somewhat grainy. I had my camera set on the ground and used a timer to make sure that I wasn't shaking it when I took this picture. So, if I want to focus clearly on the ore dock, should i have a slow shutter speed (10-20 seconds) and close the aperture (f20 or more)? When I tried this, it turned out even grainier.

I used the same settings for the picture below and it turned out better i guess but I wish I could get it to be sharper. So in general, if I want to focus really well on a skyline in the distance, should I set the aperture to a high or low number and should I set the shutter speed to be slow?

Any help and general tips would be really greatly appreciated!
Usually lenses are sharpest between f8 and f11. Wouldn't go higher than f16. Same goes for extreme ends of zoom.

·
archoptical.uk
452 Posts
I have a question about RF triggers..

I have been using YN 603N wireless triggers with my D90 for a while now and its performing great.. I want to buy another set of the same model and make. Will the old units trigger the new? Are the frequencies the same or can you set the frequencies?

:):)

They come with 4 frequency channels you set to match other units. Switches are under the batteries. A second pair should work with the first.

·
17,256 Posts
I currently use a point-and-click, but I'm interested in getting a DSLR or mirrorless camera in order to take better pictures, particularly at night. But I don't want to spend $700, or $800, or $1,000; I don't have that kind of money right now. What are some cheap, or starter-kit, cameras that I should look at?

·
Administrator
78,589 Posts
The DSLR and mirrorless cameras not necessary take better pictures than the point and shoot, some of the P & S might even give you sharper images actually in my opinion, cell phones is a good example. But if you want to create some artistic photos, then the first 2 types is a must. My suggestions would be a good used Canon rebel or Nikon D series Camera and a lens with the local length of 18 to 200mm which would cover the zoom range from wide angle to far distance.

·
17,256 Posts
The DSLR and mirrorless cameras not necessary take better pictures than the point and shoot, some of the P & S might even give you sharper images actually in my opinion, cell phones is a good example. But if you want to create some artistic photos, then the first 2 types is a must. My suggestions would be a good used Canon rebel or Nikon D series Camera and a lens with the local length of 18 to 200mm which would cover the zoom range from wide angle to far distance.
I have a Canon PowerShot SX 710 HS. It's great for zoom, and the pictures are pretty nice, but I am disappointed with nighttime pictures with it, and even some daytime pictures lack the clarity that I see posted on Flickr and all. That's why I was thinking about DSLR or mirrorless. What would you recommend for better nighttime pictures from Canon?

521 - 540 of 552 Posts