Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Milwaukee vs. Chicago in arguably the most important baseball series between these two cities (including Cubs vs. Braves and Sox vs. Brewers).

The Brewers come into Wrigley Field solidly in first place and on a giddy high based on the long awaited rise of the Brew Crew. The Cubs are in second and on a mild roll.

No question that the Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers are the Cubs' three main rivals. Cubs-Brewers is the least intense of the three. But maybe this weekend we'll start to see it rise to equal status. Both teams are competive in the division. The story line is good. And this rivalry offers a few things the other Cub rivalries don't: unlike the Cardinals, the Brewers are in the neighborhood, so going to either Wrigley or Miller is hardly a trip out of town for either fan base (much of the real Cub-Card fan rivalry is played out in downstate IL anyway). Unlike the Sox, the Brewers share both league and divison with the Cubbies.

The only other teams that can claim this intraleague, intercity closeness are the Dodgers and Padres. Let's hope this truly is the start of some real barnburning on the s.w. shores of Lake Michigan.....as well as a wonderful addition to Bears vs. Packers. Even Bulls-Bucks to a lesser degree (while fully realizing that a NU-UW will sadly never achieve 4th such rivalry status!)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Who exactly is it that you say has this "giddy high"? If it's the Brewers team then you couldn't be more wrong, if it's the fans you couldn't be more right.

The Brewers team feel confident in themselves, not "giddy". The fans are amped up and ready to go! Some are giddy while other are nervous.

Here is a very well done preview of the series by someone in another forum:

After finishing a strong 5-4 roadtrip in Minneapolis with a crazy loss, the Crew's bats stayed hot and got the Crew bats stayed hot to pull off an 8-1 home stand, their second blazing home stand of the season, this one more indicative of an absolutely scorching club: the Crew has scored 5 or more runs in 12 of their last 13 ballgames. The big change from the season norm should also be encouraging: the Crew put up 5 quality starts in those 8 home games, with 2 each contributed from the arms of Sheets and Gallardo, and Dave Bush chipping in a solid 7 IP effort of his own.

So, it's on to Chicago. Everyone here is amped about this series as a fan, but as a player, this series means as much as any other. The Crew needs to keep their hot bats and level heads going into a place where that virtue alone prevails over their host. This series is not a make-or-break series, it's not do-or-die, it's nothing more than another collection of three consecutive games at Chicago.

It's important for Brewers fans to understand that in our minds, even if in our hearts we want to rail on Cubs fans as much as they desperately want to catch us. But, that's the difference; right now, the Cubs are in a difficult spot, getting through the month of June 16-10, and yet falling in the standings by a full game.

This, of course, is explicable because the Crew has gone 16-8 in the month of June thus far.

So, this series in Chicago is not as big as your gut is telling you. The good thing about this is that the players know this too, and will keep their strong mental attitude going strong into the windy city.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What is really important to the Crew is not to win 2 or few games on this 10 game road trip. And to continue winning series and have a 5 or more win road trip.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
Well, the Brewers' success has compelled me to make my first trip down to Wrigley Field. It was hard to get tickets but I landed some for tommorow's game, and I'll be there rooting loudly for the Brew Crew in the heart of Cubs territory ...

I'm excited not only to see Wrigley Field for the first time, but to be present for the height of this rivalry. The Brewers come into the Windy City wth something they haven't had in a long time: an earned reputation as a good baseball team. That alone adds fuel to the smoldering Cubs-Brewers rivalry.

I'm also stoked to watch Gallardo start!

PS: You could definately call me "giddy."

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who exactly is it that you say has this "giddy high"? If it's the Brewers team then you couldn't be more wrong, if it's the fans you couldn't be more right.

The Brewers team feel confident in themselves, not "giddy". The fans are amped up and ready to go! Some are giddy while other are nervous.

Here is a very well done preview of the series by someone in another forum:

After finishing a strong 5-4 roadtrip in Minneapolis with a crazy loss, the Crew's bats stayed hot and got the Crew bats stayed hot to pull off an 8-1 home stand, their second blazing home stand of the season, this one more indicative of an absolutely scorching club: the Crew has scored 5 or more runs in 12 of their last 13 ballgames. The big change from the season norm should also be encouraging: the Crew put up 5 quality starts in those 8 home games, with 2 each contributed from the arms of Sheets and Gallardo, and Dave Bush chipping in a solid 7 IP effort of his own.

So, it's on to Chicago. Everyone here is amped about this series as a fan, but as a player, this series means as much as any other. The Crew needs to keep their hot bats and level heads going into a place where that virtue alone prevails over their host. This series is not a make-or-break series, it's not do-or-die, it's nothing more than another collection of three consecutive games at Chicago.

It's important for Brewers fans to understand that in our minds, even if in our hearts we want to rail on Cubs fans as much as they desperately want to catch us. But, that's the difference; right now, the Cubs are in a difficult spot, getting through the month of June 16-10, and yet falling in the standings by a full game.

This, of course, is explicable because the Crew has gone 16-8 in the month of June thus far.

So, this series in Chicago is not as big as your gut is telling you. The good thing about this is that the players know this too, and will keep their strong mental attitude going strong into the windy city.
Paule, you may have missed my main point in the initial post: i am merely asking if this "meaningful action" might be the start of a long lasting Cubs-Brewers rivalry? I wasn't getting into the relative strengths of either teams and what the season will end up looking at. I just wanted to know if people in both our cities see this rivalry starting to heat up.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
I was born and raised on the Brewers and Cubs, so this is tough for me. But I'm originally from Milwaukee, and thus I must root for the Brewers. They've been absolutely amazing this year. I was only four years old when they went to the World Series in 1982, so I've never experienced a season like this.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I must say, this year is utterly amazing for Milwaukee. If they make the World Series this year, we're gonna go craazy!

Let's just hope Chicagoans can join in the party instead of moping because their curse isn't cured yet....:lol:

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Let's just hope Chicagoans can join in the party instead of moping because their curse isn't cured yet....:lol:
Why would we Chicagoans join in the party? Were there a lot of brewer fans up in Milwaukee celebrating in 2005 when the White Sox won the title? I'd find that hard to believe.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
HOLY SHIT!

ramirez does it in the bottom of the 9th. 2-run blast to left center.

cubs win! cubs win! cubs win!

wow! there ain't no quit in these cubbies.

game 2 tomorrow.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
A-RAM walk off in the 9th!!!!! That was bewtyfull!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Coming back from a five spot after the first. I thought that was game.

·
Banned
499 Posts
Well, now it's the Cubby fans who are getting giddy after a big win in dramatic fashion...Damn!
Oh, well, give the little bears their due for not giving up. Just wish the Brewers would show some emotion from time to time...no runs after the first against a very mediocre bullpen?!!!
They'll have their chance tomorrow -- almost a must game in order to stop the giddy Cub train. We'll see what these teams are made of for sure...

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey, milwaukee, how will you be feeling about your neighbors to the south if there is a three game Cub sweep?

·
Registered
679 Posts
it's just one game. all i care about are the standings and the brewers making the playoffs. had the cubs beaten another team and we lost to another team, we would have lost a game from our lead either way.

and let's not even compare payrolls. for what chicago spent, you should be beating us at home.

you guys are way too on and off the wagon. The Cubs lose a couple games and all I hear is talk of how the team is tanking, coaches need to be fired, players traded. Then you win some games and it is back to being the best team in baseball and heading for the playoffs. Just make up your mind please!!

i must say though, yesterday does intensify the rivalry...there have been some pretty exciting cubs/brewers games in the past few years and I would expect it to continue to get more heated.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
hey, milwaukee, how will you be feeling about your neighbors to the south if there is a three game Cub sweep?
Well, the Brewers just made sure there will be no sweep. They threw on a nine run routing to make sure the Cubs get the message.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts