SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This time i didn't really know exactly where they all are located but they're all located in the red circle

the blue dots are important places and the two black dots are where the battle of Lena and Gestilren was fought.

Varnhem monastry church
built by Cistercian monks from Alvastra, 1150
It has been ravaged by fire a few times. Behind it is the ruins of a monastery. Four medieval kings have been buried here : Erik Eriksson, Erik Knutsson, Knut Eriksson and Inge the Elder. Birger Jarl ( the founder of Stockholm )

http://www.chl.chalmers.se/~numa/g3/hornborga/varnhem-5.jpg
http://www.chl.chalmers.se/~numa/g3/hornborga/varnhem-2.jpg

this is the church i talked about, its one of my favorite churches. The feeling you get when you're there is amazing, its so peaceful.

Husaby church The church at Husaby is one of the most remarkable in Sweden. It was here the swedish king Olof Skötkonung was baptised in 1020. At first they had a stave church here but by the end of the 11th century they built one in stone, and then they built and renovated it a few times

the place where Olof Skötkonung was baptised.

Forshem church "May this church be consecrated in honour of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy GraveThe church is built of sandstone and is the only sepulchral church in the Nordic countries that is dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Forshem became an alternative goal for pilgrims who could not go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The oldest part is the nave dated from the 1130s. The sanctuary was reconstructed in the 13th century. There are six unique relievos of stone that are let into the external walls as well as in the porch.

Inscription: ISTA ECCLESIA SIT: IN HONORE D(OMI)NI: N(OST)RI IH(ES)U: XPI (=CHRISTI) ET S(AN)C(TI) SEPULCRI ("May this church be consecrated in honour of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Grave"). Christ is surrounded by two of his disciples: S:t Peter and S:t Paul. The Roman Alfabet is introduced (Runic alfabet co-existed for several hundred years)

Christ in the center of the relief blesses the building of the church. To the left there's a stone mason and to the right the founder of the church (neither known by name).The founder, who offers Christ a Graal, is depicted as a knight or maybe a crusader.

The Maltese Cross Engravery
South side, left side of the door
A kissing cross believed to be engraved in the 12th century. This kind of cross is quite rare. Is found also in S:t Helena's Chapel (by the Holy Grave) in Jerusalem.

Skara cathedral the first stone church was built in the early 11th century and Skara became the first bishopric in Sweden, 1020
Archeological remains of this cathedral includes a unique crypt, a stone relievo around the entrance to the vestry of the church, and the details of a window with a small thin centre column in the southern tower. In the middle of the 13th century the crypt was demolished when the church was "modernised" and replaced with a new sanctuary designed in young-Gothic style architecture. When the church was damaged by fire near the end of the 14th century, the roof was rebuilt creating the illusion of a starry sky in the nave.

Sankta Maria is its name

now i'm a bit tired so I'll stop here

·
Expert
933 Posts
Varnhem monastry church is extremely awsome, i had no idea we had this many old stuff in sweden lol

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
I think the church in Skara is awesome as it looks like a mighty French cathedral. I have also added a drawing for it in the SSP diagram. The "viking church" was also very cool, please post more!

·
User
719 Posts
Nice. I agree that Varnhem monastry church looks really awesome, I think I haven`t seen church with so cool design before.

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I agree that Varnhem monastry church looks really awesome, I think I haven`t seen church with so cool design before.
you have to get down to France/Germany to see such churches but i cant reall remember that i've seen such a church there, but there should be some..

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
awesome, very old and beautiful churches. It´s sad that we don´t have so old churches in Germany anymore. But in Estonia we have!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts