SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fiskars is home to the company Fiskars ! :D Tthey build, among other things, Buster boats which are very popular in this region.

History and photos from : www.fiskarsvillage.net

History :

"A number of iron works were founded in southern Finland in the 17th century. There was water power, which was needed to crush the ore using a bar-iron hammer, and there were forests to provide the wood to make the charcoal that was used in the blast-furnaces to separate the iron from the rock during heating. In the parish of Pohja, the Antskog iron works was founded around 1630, the Billnäs iron works in 1641 and the Fiskars iron works in 1649. The Mustio iron works and the Fagervik iron works were founded in the near vicinity of the parish, in 1616 and 1646 respectively.

The owner of the huge iron works complex lived in Fiskars itself. The Fiskars we see today dates from John Julin’s times. In 1816 Charles Bassi designed a new main building and Julin moved into it after he acquired the iron works in 1822. Julin can be considered to be the founder of modern Fiskars. The buildings we see today mostly date from his time, even though they are now put to quite different uses. The factories had been built around the rapids to make use of the mechanical power of the water, but this is no longer needed.

Visitors to Fiskars will see the main building, the production plants, the workers’ housing and later buildings. John Julin, who was ennobled with the title von Julin in 1849, commissioned Carl Ludvig Engel to design a number of buildings at Fiskars."

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My ex-girlfriend used to live there, it's an amazing place in the summer. Infact I think it's the most idyllic place in Finland, like a little village where time has frozen.

These picture do not do it justice however, I'd even venture as far as to claim that these pictures are crap. It's like the photographer chose the worst possible spots to take the pictures in.. .

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joka said:
My ex-girlfriend used to live there, it's an amazing place in the summer. Infact I think it's the most idyllic place in Finland, like a little village where time has frozen.

These picture do not do it justice however, I'd even venture as far as to claim that these pictures are crap. It's like the photographer chose the worst possible spots to take the pictures in.. .

Yeah these pictures are really rubbish as they didn't even show the nicest parts of the town and the surrounding areas.. Joka, it would be nice if you could post some nice pics if you find them.. i wanted to show everyone the beauty of Fiskars but the pics could of been MUCH better ! :(

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some more from fiskars and the surrounding area :

buster boats made in Fiskars

1 - 4 of 4 Posts