Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Old Mill pub in Northfield has now been fully demolished, really changed the look of the area with it gone. Construction of the new Supermarket should begin soon.

Also, the new Tesco Express is now open in West Heath, they have just converted the old building of The Fordrough pub.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,077 Posts
A Co-op. The Old Mill is yet another of our "landmark" pubs - or "roadhouses". Built specifically for the burgeoning car owner market of the 1930s, Brum had many of these kind of pubs and Northfield only has 2 left now. The Black Horse has just been revamped as a Wetherspoon and the King George V is now The Emerald Chinese Restaurant. As well as the Old Mill going, we've lost The Travellers' Rest, The Longbridge, The Dingle and The Beeches - all big roadhouses. Others in Weoley Castle have gone like The Raven, The California.
Personally I think that if no other use can be found for other roadhouses like a restaurant or McDonalds (like the Parson) then I seriously think that they could be turned into neighbourhood offices / drop in centres.

·
He glides like a bird
1,350 Posts
A Co-op. The Old Mill is yet another of our "landmark" pubs - or "roadhouses". Built specifically for the burgeoning car owner market of the 1930s, Brum had many of these kind of pubs and Northfield only has 2 left now. The Black Horse has just been revamped as a Wetherspoon and the King George V is now The Emerald Chinese Restaurant. As well as the Old Mill going, we've lost The Travellers' Rest, The Longbridge, The Dingle and The Beeches - all big roadhouses. Others in Weoley Castle have gone like The Raven, The California.
Personally I think that if no other use can be found for other roadhouses like a restaurant or McDonalds (like the Parson) then I seriously think that they could be turned into neighbourhood offices / drop in centres.
No great loss that these establishments have gone quite frankly (Old Mill excepted), and I'm sure the local law abiding community aren't shedding any tears either. I think the police, however, might now have a harder time finding the local scrotes.
These areas are already served by neighbourhood offices; drop in centres are great in theory, but who are they for, and where would the money come from to fund them?

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,077 Posts
I'm all for keeping the actual buildings because unless you're over 75 you wouldn't have known anything else being on the sites. I mentioned neighbourhood offices as an example but places like NHS clinics could be sited in these kind of buildings as the workings are still intact. Just hate to see big old boozers disappearing (even though the regulars could be colourful!!!)

·
Registered
28,241 Posts
Has anyone been past this recently? It really stands out it looks more like an industrial unit than a co op, I wish they could have used the old building with an extension or something

heres the app for anyone who hasnt seen it:

Application Details
Application Number 2010/03529/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address Corner of Abbeydale Road and West Heath Road Northfield Birmingham B31 3TL
Proposal Demolition of existing building and erection of retail supermarket (use class A1) with associated parking, access and landscaping

1 - 14 of 14 Posts