Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here travelled to The Pacific Islands whether they are in Micronesia, Melanesia or Polynesia? For those who don't know, they are the hundreds of islands scattered throughout the Pacific Ocean. These includes New Zealand, Guam, Fiji, The Samoas, Cook Islands, Hawaii, etc.

Indonesia, Japan, The Philippines, Singapore and Taiwan are also islands in The Pacific but they are grouped with Asia than Oceana so they don't count.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Haven't visited any yet - but will visit Hawaii next summer ( can't wait :happy: )
I thought you don't like americans?
:dunno:
I've never been on an island in the pacific(except japan obviously).

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The idea on me creating this thread is because I always pass these islands whenever I fly from LA to HK. You would have the navigation screen infront of you so you can see what part of the world you're at.

Being cramped in economy class, you would have a hard time sleeping. I would feel like coming down to these islands and sleep :D If not also see these islands myself.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh you confused me, you shouldn't have mentioned the philippines at all then. :lol:
My bad. I actually meant that Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Singapore and Taiwan doesn't count because they are group with Asia rather than Oceana.

Hong Kong Island is an island in The Pacific but it doesn't count :D

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saipan

This island is popular with Japanese tourists who would fly there during the weekends just to play golf than fly back to Japan on a Sunday night ;)

From Felix Cabrera
http://www.pbase.com/niyokpotu/saipangallery

Obyan Beach

Hotel Nikko. The Emperor of Japan stayed here.

Lau Lau Beach

View from Mt. Tapochau

Bonzal Cliff Memorial with Suicide Cliff on the background

·
Super Moderator
22,266 Posts
I spent a month in Fiji a few years ago, it has an interesting culture with it's mixture of indigenous Melanesian people and the Fiji Indian community, there is also a sprinkling of Chinese and Western people there too.

Of course it also has some lovely beaches and good diving. Suva is also quite pleasant for a day or two but it's pretty quiet.

I spent most of my time on the main Viti Levu island but also visited Mana and Ovalau.

·
124,880 Posts
The idea on me creating this thread is because I always pass these islands whenever I fly from LA to HK. You would have the navigation screen infront of you so you can see what part of the world you're at.

Being cramped in economy class, you would have a hard time sleeping. I would feel like coming down to these islands and sleep :D If not also see these islands myself.
What airline would fly across the Pacific along the fattest part of the Earth? The usual flight paths are along the NW coast, Alaska, then down towards Hong Kong via Japan and Taiwan. There is a more southerly route but they won't be passing Tahiti or Hawaii.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
I thought you don't like americans?
:dunno:
Why wouldn't I like Americans? :?

The US is one of the best countries for travelling imo - English is widespread, road quality is high, it's cheap and the nature is diverse and easy accessible..

When I go to Hawaii it'll be my 7th visit to the States since 2002 :)

( I do disagree with the social system and to some extend foreign policy and ofcause the human rights violations - but that's political and won't affect my travels plans as it doesn't affect me personally when there )

you already started to learn to dance hula hula? :?
lol Nah I think I'll pass and spend some time in the beach bars instead :D

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Why wouldn't I like Americans? :?

The US is one of the best countries for travelling imo - English is widespread, road quality is high, it's cheap and the nature is diverse and easy accessible..

When I go to Hawaii it'll be my 7th visit to the States since 2002 :)

( I do disagree with the social system and to some extend foreign policy and ofcause the human rights violations - but that's political and won't affect my travels plans as it doesn't affect me personally when there )

lol Nah I think I'll pass and spend some time in the beach bars instead :D
lol just that alot of europeans hate us. Have fun at hawaii

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What airline would fly across the Pacific along the fattest part of the Earth? The usual flight paths are along the NW coast, Alaska, then down towards Hong Kong via Japan and Taiwan. There is a more southerly route but they won't be passing Tahiti or Hawaii.
It was a Cathay Pacific flight from Los Angeles to HK. There are times that when I fly with CX from California to HK, the plane would fly through Alaska then to Japan / Taiwan. But the last flight I took of this direction, our plane passed north of Hawaii so you can see the Hawaiian and Midway Islands on the screen.

There was also one point when I flew with Philippine Airlines from Los Angeles to Manila. Our plane stopped over at Honolulu for refuelling due to excessive baggages. Unfortunately, we were unable to leave the plane because of strict immigration.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts