SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 4732 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd make a new thread for news that really shows how ridiculous political correctness is getting out of hand in today's society.

An example and I have to say I've never heard of the term.

The West Coast Eagles have inadvertently opened themselves up to allegations of racism after promoting their retro jumper from the weekend on social media with the term "the yellow peril is back".
The Eagles donned a predominantly yellow guernsey for Friday night's win over Richmond, paying homage to the club's 30th anniversary and first-up 1987 victory against the Tigers.
But although the jumper appears to have been given the thumbs-up, two of the club's attempts to spruik it on Facebook haven't been so popularly received - referencing "yellow peril", including "we learned you loved the yellow peril".

"Yellow peril" was a derogative and xenophobic phrase used in the mid-1940s to describe Asians who were perceived as a "danger to the Western World".
It was also used to describe the Chinese population that flocked to Australia during the Gold Rush period of the late 1890s
The Wikipedia entry for the racist interpretation of "yellow peril" is the first result when the phrase is typed into Google.

There are more than 20 comments on the Eagles' Facebook posts reacting negatively to the use of the words "yellow peril"
Spokesperson for the Ethnic Communities Council of WA Suresh Rajan said he was angered and disappointed West Coast was using the term.
"It clearly is racist," he told WAtoday.
"It refers to a stereotypical past where it was thought Asians were coming to Australia to take away our gold. I'm absolutely mortified."
Mr Rajan said he previously held West Coast in high regard for dealing with the race issues confronting Eagles' big man Nic Naitanui.
Ironically, Naitanui is an AFL Multicultural Ambassador.
"As an organisation I always felt they dealt well with racism issues and I even work with the club with some of the issues surrounding Nic Naitanui," he said.
"I don't have an issue with the colour yellow, but the wording of yellow peril is unacceptable."
Mr Rajan is calling on West Coast to stop using the phrase.
"Maybe they could use the yellow juggernaut, or something," he said.
A number of social media users hit back at claims the term was racist. One urged people not "take the phrase out of context and then get all uppity about it."
Another posted "I'm actually part Asian and it doesn't offend me in the slightest. Your ridiculous bleating about phrases used 100 years aho which no longer carry the same meaning does, however, offend me."
The launch of the Eagles' yellow peril campaign comes only days after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was in China with AFL bigwigs to look at spreading the game into the the Chinese market.
There are even plans for Port Adelaide to play a game in China next year.
West Coast has been alerted to the potential for offence in its Facebook posts.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-eagles-face-allegations-of-racism-over-yellow-peril-jumper-spruik-20160419-goa7gq.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-13omn1677-edtrl-other:nnn-17/02/2014-edtrs_socialshare-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I personally think in general political correctness has got a bit far. Especially on social media, where a twitter storm will erupt over the slightest thing - which is why i tend to stay away from social media, as i can't handle the innane-ness of what goes on. But i don't think the above is the best example of it as I actually think they have a point.

However I think it was inadvertent racism and not worth the outcry as they didn't actually realise the history of the term, rather, chose it for the rhyming.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Orthey misjudged and thought enough time had passed for it to not be relevant to our modern society. The reason i say this is because brands, and organisations' marketing and social media teams are fully aware of how small things can blow up into bad press.

·
Environmental Busybody
10,018 Posts
Anything you don't like can be called fascism. The entitled WASP male culture is the dominant form of fascism in this country.

:runaway:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Anything you don't like can be called fascism. The entitled WASP male culture is the dominant form of fascism in this country.

:runaway:
That term does not exist in Australia, considering half the people you would apply it to are Celtic Catholics, or Atheists.

Stop using Americanisms. It is a crime against the English language.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ex-serviceman banned from flying Australian flag in Southbank apartment

A FORMER serviceman is being threatened with eviction for flying the Australian flag on the balcony of his high-rise Southbank apartment.

Simon Shirdon, who served as an aircraft engineer during two stints in the military, has received repeated demands to remove the national flag, which is mounted behind tinted glass on the 34th floor.

“With Anzac Day coming up soon, and direct family military history dating back to the 19th century, I am very upset,” he said. “All Australians, from any background, should be able to display our flag without the anxiety and persecution I face.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/exserviceman-banned-from-flying-australian-flag-in-southbank-apartment/news-story/a595833c646874779d4ae39aa6931362#load-story-comments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He should have checked the OC rules before moving in. Most strata buildings would have rules about what you can have on display, even what colour curtains/blinds you're permitted. Hardly PC.
It would have been interesting to see the result if it had of been an Indigenous flag, could chance that would have gone through to the keeper

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poor old Anders, took away the human rights of 77 others but is upset about his own.

Norway violated mass killer Anders Behring Breivik's human rights, court rules

Norway violated mass killer Anders Behring Breivik's human rights by keeping him in a "completely locked world" after being sentenced for killing 77 people in twin attacks in 2011, a Norwegian court has ruled.
Key points:

Verdict found Norway breached European convention
Lawyers, victims express shock at ruling
State must pay Breivik's legal fees

Breivik took Norwegian authorities to court in March, accusing them of breaching the European Convention on Human Rights by keeping him isolated from other prisoners.

"The prohibition of inhuman and degrading treatment represents a fundamental value in a democratic society," judge Helen Andenaes Sekulic said in her ruling.

"This applies no matter what — also in the treatment of terrorists and killers."

The verdict, which took many by surprise, said the Norwegian state had broken Article 3 of the European convention.

It found that the killer had been subjected to strip searches, had been woken up hourly by guards for long periods and that the authorities had done little to alleviate the impact of his isolation.

"It's a completely locked world with very little human contact," the verdict said, adding that there had been no attempt to ease the security "even though Breivik has behaved in an exemplary manner during his time in prison".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-21/anders-breivik-wins-lawsuit-norway-inhuman-treatment/7344094

1 - 20 of 4732 Posts