SkyscraperCity banner

4661 - 4680 of 4762 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
So "Coon" cheese will be no more, all because the founder, Edward William Coon, has a surname which has been used as a racist slur in some parts of the world.

I suppose Microsoft will have to change its name too.
After all, it's offensive to men who are both lesser endowed and suffer erectile dysfuncion.
There is no doubt that leftist fascism is now invading our lives.
And this is coming from someone who has been in a multi generation Labor family.
So everyone with surnames Coon, Black, Dark etc as now automatically racist.
I guess Carrie Coon's acting days are over.
I am really starting to despise all of these activists, I would not object to a Conservative military coup in order to dispose of them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
There is no doubt that leftist fascism is now invading our lives.
And this is coming from someone who has been in a multi generation Labor family.
So everyone with surnames Coon, Black, Dark etc as now automatically racist.
I guess Carrie Coon's acting days are over.
I am really starting to despise all of these activists, I would not object to a Conservative military coup in order to dispose of them.
So you reckon the Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Company and their Canadian owners Saputo are leftist facists. Interesting.

The only thing that’s frustrating is your constant projection about how youre feeling onto me.

And you don’t get to give the Democrats a free pass just because you would vote for them. It’s not what they stand for, it’s their history and past actions that defines them.

Btw FDR was a rabid racist too in case you didn’t know. It’s in the Democrats DNA.
Well that is your view and all that does is excuse, ignore or enable racism, police brutality and bigotry happening in America right now or in the recent past. It is important that the US learns from its not so glorious history and to acknowledge its racist history to hopefully make changes for the better, same goes with Australia.

·
Environmental Busybody
10,393 Posts
They need to start calling it Wodjila cheese. Or, Jaundiced Whitefella cheese. Except there being no history of displacement and genocide, it doesn't really have the same sting to it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
But, you're not interested in the truth either. Else you wouldn't use a single unverified opinion or even a group of them, to invalidate an entire weight of scientific evidence and consensus. In any other context, you wouldn't bet on his position. A bookie would make a killing.

You only have to look at the rate of GHG accumulation in the atmosphere to see it isn't likely to be natural. What has happened in the natural world in the last 50 years, that hasn't happened in millions of years?
No you are wrong, I AM interested in the truth, That’s the whole reason why i bought these theories and ideas into this discussion.

I am not the one who has been acting hostile towards different perspectives and downright dismissing the credibility of these perspectives and those who made them.

You need to re-evaluate what science is and isn’t, because it is NOT something thats determined by consensus or holds any importance on
popularity (some of histories most popular scientific ‘truths’ have infact proven to be anything but), also the notion that scientific evidence and knowledge has reached absolute truth on a matter so any counter argument or new idea etc are determined to just be invalid and unverified claims is infact UNSCIENTIFIC.

ok so you may not believe the creators of that video to be credible Enough nor their solar counter argument to the mainstream narrative on man made CO2 driven Climate change,THEN how about a scientific paper with contributors from a multitude of universities and research laboratories in Chile, Argentina and Canada, is their +A 5680-year tree-ring temperature record for southern South America credible enough?

It’s the 5682-year tree-ring mean maximum summer temperature record for southern South America (SSA) presented which is the longest such annually resolved record for the Southern Hemisphere.

It shows a temperature record for SSA with a retained low frequency variability across the 5680 years, with just a slight positive trend. It also illustrates centennial and multicentennial temperature anomalies like, the two major warm periods between 3140–2800 BC and 70 BC – 150 AD, the main century-long below average temperature periods in 3250–3140 BC, 2800–2670 BC, 2530–2360 BC, and 290–70 BC.

MOST IMPORTANTLY IN REGARDS TO THE CURRENT CLIMATE CHANGE CONSENUS, The Reconstructed mean maximum temperatures from these tree-rings indicate warmer conditions during the 19th century (1780–1880 AD) than during the 20th century. The record agrees with mainstream consensus and shows a warming trend in southern South America since the 1960s, Nevertheless, the record also showing that this trend is not unprecedented in the context of the last five millennia, with several warm periods larger in magnitude and duration are recorded.

The pattern for the last decades in the record (along with other tree ring samples taken from NZ Australia and other parts of SA) show that the mid-latitudes of the ocean-dominated Southern Hemisphere have not been warming at the same rate as other areas of the globe which goes counter to the argument that co2 is an important factor of and a driving force in climate change.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379119306924

Is Stanford University credible enough? The scientific paper, Propagation of Error and the Reliability of Global Air Temperature Projections Shows that the air temperature projections of advanced climate models are just linear extrapolations of fractional GHG forcing. This scientific paper is the first where climate modeling and climate predictions have been scrutinised using advanced maths, mathematical equations and probability. It found that Long-wave cloud forcing error is ±114 × larger than the annual average increase in green house gass forcing. This fact alone makes any possible global effect of anthropogenic CO2emissions invisible to climate models/unable to be accurately measured.

Any impact from GHGs will always be lost within the uncertainty interval. Even the most advanced climate models exhibit poor energy resolution and very large projection uncertainties.

The unavoidable conclusion is that a temperature signal from anthropogenic CO2 emissions (if any) cannot have been, nor presently can be, evidenced in climate observables.
https://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2019.00223

THEY ARE JUST SOME OF THE MANY CREDIBLE SCIENTIFIC PERSONS AND PEOPLES WHO DO NOT AGREE WITH THE MAINSTREAM NARRATIVE AND/OR HAVE WRITTEN PAPERS ON THEIR DIFFERING OPINIONS

·
Environmental Busybody
10,393 Posts
I've learned to not put too much effort in, you guys have taught me that. Because you just bring the same stuff up over and over. And at bottom it's unmovably ideological. There are many areas where we could be fact checking, but you go to the same ones always.

In terms of your post, I've talked about the risk-consequence issues over and over. It's like water off a ducks back.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We need to have a government agency setup to stop corporations changing product brand names in attempts to make money

We can get the money by closing agencies that are supposed to ensure that dairy farmers are paid a fair prices, forced labour is not used in product manufacturing and the natural environment is not destroyed to make these products

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
They need to start calling it Wodjila cheese. Or, Jaundiced Whitefella cheese. Except there being no history of displacement and genocide, it doesn't really have the same sting to it.
So you reckon the Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Company and their Canadian owners Saputo, and Edward William Coon have a history of displacement and genocide?

Supposing that someone discovered that the word word "Kelli" was used as a racist slang term a century or two ago in another part of the world, and associated with genocide? Would that make you guilty by association if you were to keep using your name, despite you being personally of no fault for any of those atrocities, but purely because you coincidentally shared that word as your name?

Now I don't wish this on you or anyone, I'm saying this to illustrate the point.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So you reckon the Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Company and their Canadian owners Saputo, and Edward William Coon have a history of displacement and genocide?

Supposing that someone discovered that the word word "Kelli" was used as a racist slang term a century or two ago in another part of the world, and associated with genocide? Would that make you guilty by association if you were to keep using your name, despite you being personally of no fault for any of those atrocities, but purely because you coincidentally shared that word as your name?

Now I don't wish this on you or anyone, I'm saying this to illustrate the point.
If someone asked you to please change your internet forum username DAJAN to something else because they find it offensive would you

A: Do it - as it is no hassle and is just a word
B: Tell them to get over it because it is just a word

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
i think the better question is if you see a word that you believe offends you for some reason, do you impose yourself and your beliefs onto others to change or do you look inward with introspection and accept that others may not know about it or agree with it, and accept its probably inconsequential and move on.

·
23,026 Posts
Also, there would be no issue if racists didn't use it as a racist slur!

BTW, Mr. Coon had no relationship with the company. He died before the company started. He just invented the process that was used.

·
23,026 Posts
I've never heard of the brand cracker. Care to point it out for me?

·
23,026 Posts
Nt at all.

Coon is the name of the brand. The company that owns the brand has decided to change their name.

You brought up a strawman of a racial slur that is the name of an object. Not a brand name.

Now, if the process of cheese making was being changed, that's a completely different thing. But it's not, just the brand name.

Stop bringing in strawman arguments to make a point. It really shows how weak your argument is if it's all you can identify.

·
23,026 Posts
This.

But at the same time we let a small minority of racists dictate to the rest of us by their actions. Just don’t give them the oxygen and the power.

The word is used by a small number of racists? I suggest this is an incorrect statement. If it was only a small number, it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Stop bringing in strawman arguments to make a point. It really shows how weak your argument is if it's all you can identify.
And you are supporting the demonisation of a family name.

If someone with the surname Coon wanted to start a business and is their legal and most common right to name it after themselves, you and others like you would attack this person and attempt to criminalise them.

·
23,026 Posts
^^I am not, and someone with the surname of Coon died before this business commenced.
Again, stop with the strawman arguments.

If someone called Richard wanted to call it Dick Cheese, do you think there may be some issues? But he is only using his name!

Get your facts, then comment. It helps.

Also: Blame the racists who corrupted the family name. They are to blame.

4661 - 4680 of 4762 Posts