SkyscraperCity banner

4681 - 4700 of 4762 Posts

·
23,027 Posts
Care to actually refute?

What position in the company did the person Coon Cheese was named after, work?

·
Registered
510 Posts
What position in the company did the person Coon Cheese was named after, work?
How is that even remotely relevant?

Organisations are named after people who have nothing to do with them all the time.

Your position is indefensible, as you are advocating criminalising people's surnames based on American racial slurs and other offences.

You can't win.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
^^I am not, and someone with the surname of Coon died before this business commenced.
Again, stop with the strawman arguments.

If someone called Richard wanted to call it Dick Cheese, do you think there may be some issues? But he is only using his name!

Get your facts, then comment. It helps.

Also: Blame the racists who corrupted the family name. They are to blame.
Dick Smith electronics. Australian iconic brand.

The use of ‘dick’ offends some people. He should change the company name because of that... right?

·
23,027 Posts
So you don't think Dick Cheese would be a little different to Dick Smith Electronics?

How is that even remotely relevant?

Organisations are named after people who have nothing to do with them all the time.

Your position is indefensible, as you are advocating criminalising people's surnames based on American racial slurs and other offences.

You can't win.

Lol. First you were saying that people should be able to name companies after themselves, now you are saying that companies can name brands after anyone they want?

If the name has nothing to do with the company, than why the issue if they remove it?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
The word is used by a small number of racists? I suggest this is an incorrect statement. If it was only a small number, it wouldn't be an issue.
If you think it’s not a small number of
people who use the word coon to refer to aboriginal, it shows how warped your views are on the issue, and how out of touch you are with reality.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Lol. First you were saying that people should be able to name companies after themselves, now you are saying that companies can name brands after anyone they want?

If the name has nothing to do with the company, than why the issue if they remove it?
You have a VERY bizarre way of thinking, how are those two mutually exclusive?

The issue is to not let violent bullies and fascists dictate life to you.

If someone orders me to sit down and they have no legal authority over me I will refuse to sit down.

You have to make a stand even if it is over small issues. If you give an inch they will next demand the whole bloody continent.

·
23,027 Posts
people who use the word coon to refer to aboriginal, it shows how warped your views are on the issue, and how out of touch you are with reality.
Many I've seen who are complaining loudly about the name change in places other than SSC, by experience, aren't afraid to drop racist terms without a thought to the impact they may have.

I am not friends with these people, as I am not friends with people that think this is OK.

·
23,027 Posts
You have a VERY bizarre way of thinking, how are those two mutually exclusive?

The issue is to not let violent bullies and fascists dictate life to you.
So if a group say that they are unhappy with the name because they are called that name in a derogatory way, are they the violent bullies and fascists? Or are they standing up to bullies and fascists?

If someone orders me to sit down and they have no legal authority over me I will refuse to sit down.
Good for you. I don't understand what the point of that is? The company don't need to listen to people like yourself either and they have the right to refuse to take notice of you.

You have to make a stand even if it is over small issues. If you give an inch they will next demand the whole bloody continent.
And the company has chosen to make a stand, even though many consider it a small issue. If they give an inch to pandering to people such as yourself, businesses will be thrown left right and centre.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i think the better question is if you see a word that you believe offends you for some reason, do you impose yourself and your beliefs onto others to change or do you look inward with introspection and accept that others may not know about it or agree with it, and accept its probably inconsequential and move on.
You can't control what other people do Danukoz, but you can control how you react

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I grew up in suburban Sydney in the 80s and 90s
It was pretty common to describe indigenous folk as a 'Coon' in an insulting way by the adults at the time

·
23,027 Posts
Who's trying to control whom?

There is more pressure from people telling them they shouldn't change their name, than initially from those telling them they should, which, by the way, was so few people I wouldn't have even called it a campaign.

The outrage on this board here is hilarious in the context.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Who's trying to control whom?

There is more pressure from people telling them they shouldn't change their name, than initially from those telling them they should, which, by the way, was so few people I wouldn't have even called it a campaign.

The outrage on this board here is hilarious in the context.
Conservative type are trying to control private businesses changing their product names
People are trying to control aboriginal people to not be upset or angry when they are called insulting names

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Haha you guys are the loons, that you come to these conclusions that are actually backwards and think it represents the reality. No wonder the left has lost the plot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If someone asked you to please change your internet forum username DAJAN to something else because they find it offensive would you

A: Do it - as it is no hassle and is just a word
B: Tell them to get over it because it is just a word
fmd, and let me guess if I asked what your opinion was on preferred pronouns, you’d be pushing a whole different perspective on the importance of particular words... Your argument would be something like,

A: No, It is not ‘just a word’.
B: words has meaning, they have power, they are chosen because they resonate most with ones indentity.
C: you always should be respectful at the way some words can affect others

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Haha you guys are the loons, that you come to these conclusions that are actually backwards and think it represents the reality. No wonder the left has lost the plot.
I would say that conservative media outlets have lost the plot - but this stuff just creates content for them

4681 - 4700 of 4762 Posts