Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This building will replace the existing one next to the Apollo Victoria Theatre, just outside London's Victoria Station. Once again, our friends Keltbray have carried out the demolition of the old building, and the new hoardings are already up. At first glance, I quite like the new design, as it replaces a dingy old building with just a few rather downmarket shops, and it looks like the circulation area there may be a bit bigger than before. That crossing is a particular problem in the morning with thousands of office workers trying to get to Bressenden Place, Victoria Street, etc, which I experience almost every day. However, with Cardinal Place just over the road, one could feel that the area is being swamped with identikit glass buildings. What do other forumers think?

http://www.thepeaklondon.com/

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Nice...there seems to be an architectural trend in the Victoria area..thanks!

·
Registered
24,352 Posts
However, with Cardinal Place just over the road, one could feel that the area is being swamped with identikit glass buildings.
Yep. The whole area in front of Victoria Station will be demolished soon and the Victoria Transport Interchange Project will start, resulting in two new residential towers and office space.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i was wondering what happend to those towers that were planned for this area the other day, everyone was complainign about the impact on buckingham palace? any news? i forget the name of the main project..

this project looks allrite.. not sure about that visor..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. The whole area in front of Victoria Station will be demolished soon and the Victoria Transport Interchange Project will start, resulting in two new residential towers and office space.
I have no problem with this. It's just that the response to Cardinal Place was rather equivocal, when it's a considerable improvement on what was there before. In my view, other than the Victoria Palace, Apollo Victoria, Victoria Station House, and Victoria Station itself, there are virtually no buildings in the immediate surroundings of the station I think are worth keeping. I would be very happy to see Portland House go. The area is crying out for improvement, as it is incredibly dingy at present. In addition, getting from the station to one's office is a nightmare at times, particularly at that junction. I would also like to see most of Victoria Street between there and Buckingham Gate/Artillery Row come down. Sadly, having got used to Sir Terry Farrell's 2 Marsham Street, as a result of the split up of the Home Office, I have got to move to Selborne House, the last building before the lights at Victoria Street/Buckingham Gate, for several months, before we move to Queen Anne's Gate, which we're told has been given a massive refurbishment, though sadly not the reclad it could have done with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
thanks fella.say your lil comment about the search function whilst i was there, ille b using that.. has there been a verdict on that then? anythign been going on or is it in planning? aslong as its as gd as Cardinal Walk i wont mind.. that is a great development.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
Yes, movement around that whole area is horrendous - but it is difficult to understand how, if at all - this will be affected by the redevelopments. I hope the problem is addressed as part of the various plans.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
ah, this makes more sense now. There's been a render of this at the New London Architecture exhibition in Store Street for ages, but have never been able to place it (or more accurately, remember what the caption told me about it).

Tis a death trap for cyclists around Victoria, too many lanes diverging off all over the place and some monstrous pot holes.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I pass this building or construction site every day as I work next door, and Ive just noticed that the core of this building has risen and is now very visable above the hoardings, will try to bring my camera tommorow and take a picture!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts