• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
104681 - 104700 of 104711 Posts

·
Federal Philippines 2016
317 Posts
Government eyes own shipbuilding facility

MANILA, Philippines — The government is looking to develop its own shipbuilding facility that would bolster its efforts in modernizing the country’s maritime fleet.

“We have a project to develop the first shipbuilding facility that will be initiated under the Duterte administration. We have already completed our feasibility study,” Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) general manager Jay Santiago said.

The project will be spearheaded by the Department of Transportation, through the PPA.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/09/01/1947953/government-eyes-own-shipbuilding-facility#7tbrLgqIAWib3ILx.99

·
Federal Philippines 2016
317 Posts
India bus manufacturer looking for local partner

MANILA, Philippines — India-based Hinduja Group of Companies is looking for a local partner as it plans to set up manufacturing operations for buses in the country to support the government’s public utility vehicle (PUV) modernization program.

In a statement, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez said the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) would assist Hinduja Group in finding a local partner.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/09/01/1947954/india-bus-manufacturer-looking-local-partner#BVw8ahqeDZybufkT.99

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Government eyes own shipbuilding facility

MANILA, Philippines — The government is looking to develop its own shipbuilding facility that would bolster its efforts in modernizing the country’s maritime fleet.

“We have a project to develop the first shipbuilding facility that will be initiated under the Duterte administration. We have already completed our feasibility study,” Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) general manager Jay Santiago said.

The project will be spearheaded by the Department of Transportation, through the PPA.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/09/01/1947953/government-eyes-own-shipbuilding-facility#7tbrLgqIAWib3ILx.99
I don't like this. Leave the shipbuilding to the private corporations.

Give them loans or tech support, but government should not be building their own ships.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I don't like this. Leave the shipbuilding to the private corporations.

Give them loans or tech support, but government should not be building their own ships.
Maybe you meant "guarantees" and "incentives" not tech support. I never knew government is capable of that tech support!

·
Finding destiny
8,792 Posts
This is getting out of hand... Pumalpak na tayo sa rice policy last year. Ito na naman.

Farmers cry: Repeal rice tariffication law
Palay prices dive to P8/kg

Updated September 2, 2019, 10:28 AM
By Madelaine B.Miraflor

As more rice imports enter the country, prices of palay fell to as low as P8 per kilogram in some parts of the country, prompting farmers and food security groups to call for immediate repeal of the Rice Tariffication law.
https://business.mb.com.ph/2019/09/01/farmers-cry-repeal-rice-tariffication-law/

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
DOST does tech support. Remember our HET?
Owws! Yun bang sabi ni Pnoy na masyadong matagtag? Di ko alam na merong "tech" yun ah!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
This is getting out of hand... Pumalpak na tayo sa rice policy last year. Ito na naman.
Walang contingency plan ang Gobyerno pagdating sa ganyan kasi ang major goal talaga ng rice tarification ay mapababa ang inflation rate imbes na maging balance.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rice Tariffication was on point.. the problem was it's conception was during the height of budget debate and looming national elections.. It did serve it's purpose .. of which it might be true that 3M rice farmers are directly hit by the low farmgate prices, but there's 105M Filipino who actually benefited from it.. Imagine if we hit double digit inflation coupled with the budget delay in an El Niño season.. It's a perfect recipe for recession.. Aside from doing WTO obligations is the move to downgrade NFA's function which was full of alleged corruption last year.. If my memory was correct.. the planners actually asked for Php100B budget before implementations but getting big budget means longer delays of its implementation because it will have problems passing in the lower and upper house and DBM not to mention the looming elections at that time.. so that's why it ended up on that budget based on tariff with initial 10B.. Anyways.. I saw a Php32/kg rice in the supermarket earlier today which was impossible to find last year.. I think DA will surely find a way to deal with the farmers' concern.. It's very early to judge specially Sec. Dar is relatively new to his post..

·
fug :DDD
797 Posts
Any ideas why your claim is such?
How much has the average retail price of regular milled rice gone down? From P41.25 to just P38.35, some places as low as 33-35, in a year.
Meanwhile Palay has gone from P22.88 to P17, however, some places as low as P7-12. The average of both is around P2.9 decrese but it's much more significant on the Palay side than retail side, considering farmers earn much less on selling their palay while rice traders have actually gained plenty from this. And it's a tragedy that some farmers have been forced to sell as low as P7. That's where my claim of retail prices not going down as much as palay prices come from.
Most of the imported rice is imported at P24 per kg including tariffs, but is sold at a wholesale price of P35 which rise to P38 in the retail market.:eek:hno:
The Rice Tariffication Law was envisioned to drop the retail prices to as low as P30
We have yet to see that. And with the high pressure on the Palay which will be very disadvantageous to the farmers due to the high milling costs, we cannot dismiss this. I hope Dar's solution will help the suffering farmers immediately

·
Registered
727 Posts
Rice Tariffication was on point.. the problem was it's conception was during the height of budget debate and looming national elections.. It did serve it's purpose .. of which it might be true that 3M rice farmers are directly hit by the low farmgate prices, but there's 105M Filipino who actually benefited from it.. Imagine if we hit double digit inflation coupled with the budget delay in an El Niño season.. It's a perfect recipe for recession.. Aside from doing WTO obligations is the move to downgrade NFA's function which was full of alleged corruption last year.. If my memory was correct.. the planners actually asked for Php100B budget before implementations but getting big budget means longer delays of its implementation because it will have problems passing in the lower and upper house and DBM not to mention the looming elections at that time.. so that's why it ended up on that budget based on tariff with initial 10B.. Anyways.. I saw a Php32/kg rice in the supermarket earlier today which was impossible to find last year.. I think DA will surely find a way to deal with the farmers' concern.. It's very early to judge specially Sec. Dar is relatively new to his post..
Lol double digit talaga? Rice is a small component of the basket of goods used in calculating inflation. Rice farmers are dying out, even in the most agriculturally mechanized part the country, my province. Consumers not benefitting much. Middlemen and importers, numbering less than a million, are benefitting VERY MUCH! Some farmers are already on the brink of giving up growing rice for growing other more profitable crops instead. It's a vicious cycle. More imports > lower farmgate prices > more farmers switching crops > imports pa more!

RCEP has been very slow at helping farmers in facing the reality of globalization. I plead the government to please do something, immediately!

Direct rice markets IS the solution! We should be looking at how affectionate the Thai government to Thai farmers are:

Direct-selling rice markets booming

NAKHON RATCHASIMA/LAMPANG - People have responded warmly to the farmer-to-consumer rice markets popping up all over the country, with at least two provinces reporting brisk sales on the first day.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, farmers from 17 districts brought seven tonnes for sale at the Thao Suranaree Monument in Muang district on Sunday, the second day of the market.

On Saturday, they sold 4.5 tonnes for almost 140,000 baht.

The types of rice sold were hom mali, brown rice and rice berry and the prices were in a range between 22-30 baht a kilogramme.

Since there was no middleman involved, the prices are lower than market prices and people flocked to the market.

Thong-in Khunnara, 57, a Korat buyer, said after she learned about the government's plan to open markets for farmers to directly sell the produce to buyers, she rushed to buy the grain.

She bought 50 kg of hom mali rice and five kg of brown nice for 1,550 baht in total on Sunday. "I'm so proud to do my part in helping farmers. Besides, I could buy rice quite cheaply. What I bought today will last us two months."

More at https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1128529/direct-selling-rice-markets-booming

104681 - 104700 of 104711 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.