Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
104701 - 104711 of 104711 Posts

·
Finding destiny
8,800 Posts
I am not against the law per se but what I am annoyed at is the slow reaction from the government (mostly by the economic team) or worse, they already know this will happen but they just ignored it since they are economic liberals.

The farmgate price of palay shrank almost 21% this month but the retail price of weill milled rice shrank only 7% and regular milled, 9.8%. Obviously, there is something wrong here. Either the tariff is too small, the traders are duping the farmers or both. (https://psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/Updates on Palay, Rice and Corn Prices, August 2019 (Week 2).pdf)

I just refuse to believe that the economic managers have not anticipated this scenario. They should have known from the very start that the 10B RCEP is not enough. I don't understand why they didn't use all the funds that they will get from the tariff to directly support the farmers. Why only 10B?! Even worse is that the prioritization of RCEP focused more on mechanization, seedlings and training without thinking about the direct and sudden effect of this law to the farmers themselves! NO short term plans, only idealistic but highly unrealistic medium to long term plans.

Tsaka hindi ko maintindihan. Ganun ba talaga kahirap alamin kung sinu-sino ang mga farmers sa atin at kung nasan sila? Ayaw ba ng gobyerno na i-grupo sila at i-guide step by step from farming to selling? Kasi kahit pautangin mo ng pautangin or bigyan ng subsidy yang mga yan, it will fail. Kaya hindi nagsa-succeed ang CARP kasi kahit bigyan mo yan ng lupa kung wala namang nagmo-monitor kung ano ginagawa nila sa lupa na yun. Wala. Ending baka maibenta lang yunga mga lupa kay Cynthia Villar. Hindi na rin ako magtataka kung bakit siya author nitong batas na ito at super tutol siya sa Land Use Act.

Ito pa, kung seryoso nga ang gobyerno na imodernize and imechanize ang agriculture, then they should be ready to put those extra farmers in another industry since they will not be needed anymore in agriculture or they have to build new agricultural products. Sa bagal ng growth ng industry/manufacturing, san mo sila ilalagay - sa POGOs? Kaya pa ba ng service sector?

·
Finding destiny
8,800 Posts
:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::bash:

Slow RCEF distribution seen hindering farmers
August 27, 2019 | 9:54 pm

SENATOR Cynthia A. Villar on Tuesday warned against the slow disbursement of the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF), a component of the Rice Tariffication Law that seeks to upgrade farmers’ competitiveness.

“If we do not give RCEF a chance to be fully implemented and deliver on its promise to improve the competitiveness of our agriculture sector, I don’t think we can ever make it,’’ Ms. Villar said in a statement.

https://www.bworldonline.com/slow-rcef-distribution-seen-hindering-farmers/

DA studying financing plan for direct palay buyers
August 28, 2019 | 10:39 pm

THE Department of Agriculture (DA) said it is considering providing low-interest financing for rice inventory purchases by entities seeking to source palay, or unmilled rice, directly from farmers.

“We’ll provide traders, cooperatives, local government units and other stakeholders a new inventory financing program from LANDBANK at 2% interest, provided they buy directly from farmers,” Agriculture Secretary William D. Dar said during a public hearing on the implementation of the Rice Tariffication Law.

https://www.bworldonline.com/da-studying-financing-plan-for-direct-palay-buyers/
Senate seeking accounting of RCEF disbursement
August 28, 2019 | 10:40 pm

THE Senate Committee on agriculture and food was told at a hearing Wednesday that very little of the initial release of funds for the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF) went to farmers, with 80% captured by the Department of Agriculture (DA) National Rice Program.

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) in December 2018 released P5 billion for the RCEF, a component of the Rice Tariffication Law which by law is entitled to P10 billion a year from rice import tariffs, of which Agriculture Secretary William D. Dar said P4 billion was allocated to the National Rice Program.

https://www.bworldonline.com/senate-seeking-accounting-of-rcef-disbursement/

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Rice Tariffication was on point.. the problem was it's conception was during the height of budget debate and looming national elections.. It did serve it's purpose .. of which it might be true that 3M rice farmers are directly hit by the low farmgate prices, but there's 105M Filipino who actually benefited from it.. Imagine if we hit double digit inflation coupled with the budget delay in an El Niño season.. It's a perfect recipe for recession.. Aside from doing WTO obligations is the move to downgrade NFA's function which was full of alleged corruption last year.. If my memory was correct.. the planners actually asked for Php100B budget before implementations but getting big budget means longer delays of its implementation because it will have problems passing in the lower and upper house and DBM not to mention the looming elections at that time.. so that's why it ended up on that budget based on tariff with initial 10B.. Anyways.. I saw a Php32/kg rice in the supermarket earlier today which was impossible to find last year.. I think DA will surely find a way to deal with the farmers' concern.. It's very early to judge specially Sec. Dar is relatively new to his post..
There's no other way but subsidize the un-husked rice buying price! :eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

But government is wary about "pseudo-farmers" or coops selling palay if only to take advantage of the higher buying price.

·
SPEED
3,131 Posts
How much has the average retail price of regular milled rice gone down? From P41.25 to just P38.35, some places as low as 33-35, in a year.
Meanwhile Palay has gone from P22.88 to P17, however, some places as low as P7-12. The average of both is around P2.9 decrese but it's much more significant on the Palay side than retail side, considering farmers earn much less on selling their palay while rice traders have actually gained plenty from this. And it's a tragedy that some farmers have been forced to sell as low as P7. That's where my claim of retail prices not going down as much as palay prices come from.
Most of the imported rice is imported at P24 per kg including tariffs, but is sold at a wholesale price of P35 which rise to P38 in the retail market.:eek:hno:
The Rice Tariffication Law was envisioned to drop the retail prices to as low as P30
We have yet to see that. And with the high pressure on the Palay which will be very disadvantageous to the farmers due to the high milling costs, we cannot dismiss this. I hope Dar's solution will help the suffering farmers immediately
When prices of goods goes down, the consumers don't get the savings, the middlemen get more profit. THere is no real competition in the PHilippines because there are mostly cartels.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
With Direct-selling Rice Markets, the margin of middlemen will go to our poor farmers.

Maygad. Justice and equality please!
There's no "equality" in business. Maybe you meant "equity" or "fairness"?

C'mmon, if everything will be equal, the drive to excel will be lost! I won't strive to work hard if in the end, the rewards I make will be the same as my lazy neighbor--> is that what people wanted?:eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Registered
729 Posts
There's no "equality" in business. Maybe you meant "equity" or "fairness"?

C'mmon, if everything will be equal, the drive to excel will be lost! I won't strive to work hard if in the end, the rewards I make will be the same as my lazy neighbor--> is that what people wanted?:eek:hno::eek:hno:
Yea, I meant equity. 🙈 Carried away by emotions.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The future of business in the Philippines

Palay prices drop to its lowest in decades

House leaders move to keep budget on track

LRT Cavite on track to start operations by Q4 of 2021

China-made trains to bloat MRT-3 O&M contract

·
Registered
872 Posts
First 30 story - high rise condominium to build at Marina Bay Area Located in Jackson Ave. Beside Oak Harbor, Back of Okada Manila.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I can not understand why NFA will not buy majority if not all our farmers output. kanino ba under ang NFA now.di ba sa DA na.
I've heard from reliable sources that unless they can have lots of funds, they can't be buying more palay from farmers. They have to sell their stocks to get that amounts. I also understand that every government agency will act only on legal orders--> they need to be sure they cover their butts when doing something that is out of the ordinary, like buying high when the market prices are low! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

104701 - 104711 of 104711 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.