Skyscraper City Forum banner

Rate the Plaza

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Plaza, Leeds

Phase Two, the tower, follows on from Phase 1, the mid-rise block. The Plaza will be one of Leeds' tallest building, due to its height and position on Clay Pit Lane, one of the highest areas of the City Centre.

-37 storeys
-Estimated Height of 103m
-Under Construction
-Carey Jones Architects
-Carillion Construction
-Dark Graphite and Silver Grey colours
-Student Apartments- the tallest student accomodation building in the world

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

in principal, could be a fine addition to the skyline of Leeds, but experience has taught us not to trust Carey Jones architecture, especially anything with a hint of grey or silver cladding. Time will tell.

I actually liked the first design, which whilst rather gaudy, bright and novelty, had a better shape, and better detailing IMO. This is just a series of boxes. The windows look too small.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out how skinny it is from the side

I really like it. There are student blocks appearing that are way inferior to this

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
Its main virtue is its height and proportions, The downside is that to me it may come out looking commieblockish but on the other hand it may come out looking like one of those it reminds me of one of those overly concrete north east asian Office buildings (that may not seem like a compliment but it is).

But I may just have to hold my breath for this one :/

·
Registered
30,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The materials to be used are metallc, rather that concrete. Zinc I think is being used I heard somewhere?

·
Registered
10,926 Posts

·
6,987 Posts
It's not distinctive, just a tall prescence on the skyline. I think a good mixed skyline needs some straight forward rectangular shapes as well as more distinctive shapes to give a balance and allow the better ones to stand out. This is definately a 'background' building, but is still necesary for the skyline as a whole.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
It's OK. But it doesn't do anything for me. 7/10

·
Registered
314 Posts
looks okay 7/10 its all down to the quality of the finishes used metal zinc cladding could make this be a top class development especially considering its student accomadation not a large office block its good for the designed use IMO

·
6,987 Posts
Somebody claimed it would be the tallest dedicated student accomodation in the world, surely it can't be anywhere near - I think we can take that claim with a pinch of salt. Why developers make these ridiculous claims is beyond me.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I think Markie googled it and couldn't find any taller... Any other blocks for students are mixed use (ie apartments on top floors...)

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Developers make these claims because most people that don't really have much knowledge of buildings will believe it.
I for certain if I knew nothing whatsoever about buildings would choose the plaza over opal just because it's taller. Narrow minded I know but alot of people think like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts