The Pomeranian Dukes' Castle
Duke's Court existed already in time of christianisation of Western Pomerania on Tryglaw's Hill (1124-1128). However it became centre of power only the turn off 12th and 13th century (decision of duke Boguslaw II). Barnim I began extension of the wooden court, he also gave the city Magdeburg's civic rights (1243). In 1346, duke Barnim III began building of 'wooden house' and St. Otto's Chapel and also the so called 'big house' with prison tower - now part of southern wing.
Figure of St. Otto from Bamberg, who led christianisation of Pomerania in the years 1124-1128
PLAN LOCK (PALE LINE PLAN PRESENT, BLUE COLOUR PLAN LOCK FROM BEFORE 1530 YEAR):
1. RAISED BY ADVICE MUNICIPAL OLD HOUSE, 2. DUKES' HOUSE FROM END XV AGE,
3. GREAT HOUSE, 4. PRISON- TOWER, 5. CHAPEL ST. OTTON'S.
state on about 1700 year
Uprising of poor townspeople and craftsmen ( 1428 ) led to partial destruction of the castle. The task of renovating and rebuilding was undertaken by Boguslaw X in 1490. It was part of the preparations to marriage with Anna Jagiellonka - the King of Poland's (Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk) daughter.
In 1530 fire of tenements- houses near the castle again destroyed the seat of the Gryfits. Reigning at that time Barnim XI raised block of the castle by second storey, built clock tower and decorated building with tracery decorations. Existing wings, Southern and Eastern were rebuilt and two new wings - northern and western were erected. However, to accomplish such extension, St. Otto's church had to be dismantled. In 17th century duke Philip II decided to build fifth wing, the so called Museum wing, called later Mint Wing. On the ground floor of the building there was armoury, on other floors huge library and natural collections and works of art collection.
Foundation plate from 1538 endowed by Barnim XI,
portrays heraldic cartouche of the Pomeranian Duchy
Almost whole 19th century is continuous devastation of renaissance structure of the object and its antique interior decorations. Cloisters and attics and vaults were removed, staircases were rebuilt and divisions of rooms were adjusted to the needs of offices. Southern wing was almost completely dismantled and built anew. In 1902, after offices had left the castle, renovation of the object began, trying to restore its former shape of residence.
Renovation works were disrupted by the 2nd World War in August 1944. Post-war renovation of the Castle of the Pomeranian Dukes began in 1958 and lasted till the second half of 80-ties. An engraving by M. Merian from 1653, pictures by Ludwig Most and drawings by J. J. Zeumer coming from Swedish archive served as the basis for reconstruction. During archaeological works foundations of earlier buildings were discovered which is shown by mosaics in pavement of both courts.
Castle - Bells' Tower, view from north - western side
photos by Piotr-Stettin