Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should Hamilton Suceed from Ontario?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hamilton has been given the shaft one too many times.

The Province won't cover our social services cost like they do for Toronto.

The Province pays of 2/3rds of the cost of All of Toronto's transit wish list but only 2/3rds of 2/3rds of Hamilton's plan.

Now Toronto forumers on this site are slagging John Tory for wanting to move Provincial jobs out to Cities that have been hurt by manufacturing losses. Cities like Hamilton, which have a 20% Office Vacancy rate and a 20% Poverty Rate.

Hamilton is represented by 1 Cabinet Minister only in Provincial Cabinet and none federally.

Is It time for Hamilton to form our own Province? At least then we will receive equalization.

Lets seize the QEW and 403 and charge tolls to Ontario vehicles using them. Lets keep our tax for us. NO to Oppression by Queens Park! and Yes to an independent and strong Hamilton!

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
and naturally the new capital of Hamiltonia can then have all their provincial offices spread evenly among Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek and of course Burlington

·
____
1,073 Posts
Greensville wants an office too!

The main problem with separation is that if Hamilton separated, there'd be nowhere to go asking for that extra social services money.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's better to work things out with the Province then to get all hissy and bitchy. I'm sure next week or two weeks from now we'll get a Lister Block announcement. McGuinty has hinted more provincial offices to Hamilton. McGuinty also has a report being finalized in the fall to deal with social services and how to upload them.

If you really want to make a statement than make the city go on strike for a day. Shut down all the steel factories, close the Harbour, close the cargo (Canada Post hub) at the airport, form a blockade at the QEW and 403. You'll definitely get attention and make a statement that way.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
When Northern Ontario separates, we'll make you guys a protectorate! :)

What Hamilton should really do is join Northern Ontario. Ever since Elgin County became part of Northern Ontario, they have received more than 880,000$ in equalization from FedNor! That makes Elgin Country the largest single recipient of FedNor funding in Northern Ontario with almost 40% of it's money going to Elgin County!! Northern Ontario is glad to have been forced to cede it's money to Elgin County, one of the most economically depressed places in Canada, so that our schools could continue to suffer. :hug:

The moral: The government is fucking all of us. At least you don't have 40 empty office buildings with a faded "Government of Ontario" on the side.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Hamilton is represented by 1 Cabinet Minister only in Provincial Cabinet and none federally.
So? That sounds like Hamilton is to blame, not evil Toronto and everyone else.

Aside from the fact that this is another 'let's separate' fantasy thread, Hamilton can blame itself for most of it's problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So? That sounds like Hamilton is to blame, not evil Toronto and everyone else.

Aside from the fact that this is another 'let's separate' fantasy thread, Hamilton can blame itself for most of it's problems.

So we're to blame for the High Dollar, For Social Services Uploading, and the complete uncaring by Higher levels of government?

We have 2 Members for the Conservatives and neither of them are Federal Cabinet Ministers, and we have 4 Liberals and only one minister among them.

How is that our fault?

Do we control who is in Provincial Cabinet?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
So we're to blame for the High Dollar, For Social Services Uploading, and the complete uncaring by Higher levels of government?
EVERY city gets it's share of provincial neglect. Hamilton is no different. Maybe if Hamiltonians actually did something to improve their city, people would take notice.

We have 2 Members for the Conservatives and neither of them are Federal Cabinet Ministers, and we have 4 Liberals and only one minister among them.

How is that our fault?

Do we control who is in Provincial Cabinet?
No, but no other city does either. Don't like how your represented? Become a politician then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EVERY city gets it's share of provincial neglect. Hamilton is no different. Maybe if Hamiltonians actually did something to improve their city, people would take notice.

No, but no other city does either. Don't like how your represented? Become a politician then.
The First half is so ignorant that it doesn't deserve a reply. Do you know anything about Hamilton?

And why would I join senior levels of politics? So I can sit on the backbench like a "nobody"*? The only people with any influence are hand chosen by the leadership before entering politics.

Pierre Trudeau's term.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The First half is so ignorant that it doesn't deserve a reply. Do you know anything about Hamilton?
I simply responded to your notion that Hamilton is somehow special because it suffers from the high dollar, social services uploading, and government apathy. Those are all experienced across the province, yet most of the province has adjusted while Hamilton languishes. So what? No sympathy here.

All I know about Hamilton is what I've learned from the past 3 years of living here, which is that everywhere else is moving forward while Hamilton does not. If you think this is everyone elses fault, then by all means stay in Hamilton, it suits you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I simply responded to your notion that Hamilton is somehow special because it suffers from the high dollar, social services uploading, and government apathy. Those are all experienced across the province, yet most of the province has adjusted while Hamilton languishes. So what? No sympathy here.

All I know about Hamilton is what I've learned from the past 3 years of living here, which is that everywhere else is moving forward while Hamilton does not. If you think this is everyone elses fault, then by all means stay in Hamilton, it suits you.
Hamilton is suffering because everywhere else gets government handouts out the wazoo while we don't! Hamilton has no money to improve ourselves with.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts