SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was passing through West Brom and got these shots today. It's suprisingly large and there's also a stainless steel blister taking shape on the rear.

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
:) It looks quite horrid eh! West Brom didn't need this, it needed investment into the city centre itself, I cannot think of any reasons to visit the city and I am not being cruel, I would love to say it's a cool place but it is hard faced, deprived and unnatractive, the only good thing is the metro into Brum, and now it has a big mr blobby warehouse for??? what the **** does it house, it looks like a cheap Paris disneyland last minute attraction, sorry West Brom but I think this one is a big spanner.

·
Stel
1,609 Posts
That seams to be a common thing in Will Alsop designs, they look great in renders and drawings and then in reality they look cheap and not as dramatic.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It isn't finished yet so I'll reserve my judgement till then.

but I do think it's a welcome addition to West Brom especially when you look at the state central shopping area and the burnt out buildings directly opposite the new pUBLIC.

·
Brummie on Tour
582 Posts
I think that building is awful, sorry but It looks like a bad kids drawing. I was wondering too what had happened to Hoody.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hot news just in from West Brom

The pUBLIC are having a site open day tommorrow. I'll be there, camera in hand will you? :)

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting thing I discovered today was that the exterior boxy facade is largely independent of the rest the rest of the building which is a series of unusual four storey H frames which support the floors and the spiral ramp

The people of West Brom seem very enthusiastic too and i'm finding it all very exciting :) The buillding will be finished in 2006 but they are having walk abouts in the meantime

·
Mmm, Danone
2,040 Posts
Oh man, I adore that. Absolutely adore it. Seems incredibly cheap, but what they've done is gorgeous. Like a Blue Peter jobby. Made with plastic, sellotape and an empty can of Lilt and they ended up with a sexy can of SUPER LILT.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,202 Posts
I suppose the facade is independant from the structure because it'll be easy to reclad in the future to refresh the building. Most new buildings are like this nowadays - economically thought out well. Great pics Foxtrot - this is truly an interesting landmark for West Brom.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts