Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never saw it in the theater, so I went out and bought it. I was a fan of the comic as a kid. He isn't a superhero, but a guy motivated by revenge. When I first watched it I was expecting a spiderman/hulk like CG driven modern superhero flick. I did not like it, due to those expectations. After reading about it's budget issues and other things and watching the directors cut, it was described that they used no frills old school special effects throughout the whole thing. Rewatching it and looking at it I have to say it is actually pretty good and I reccomend it. It's a great change from the artifical driven world of movies today. I think it shows Tampa in a good light and all the regional references are really cool. This is the film version of what tampa is and why I think it is an intersting place. A real world working, gritty, it is what it is, type of place. Not world class, but not lacking in sophistication.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The Punisher SUCKED. The bloodless massacre of his family said it all -- not to mention the stupidity of Travolta's family.

The movie kept switching back to the skyline like it would take away the pain of the storyline...

I love comic book movies and popcorn flicks -- this was terrible. Better than the Dolph Lundgren version of the Punisher, but horrid still.

·
Two-bit Hack
331 Posts
My house (condo bldg) is in that movie!
And the filming actually caused significant problems when I tried to move in--the truck couldn't get in, and it being the government and all I couldn't move in until several days later. Cost the government extra money, too, since they had to keep paying for me stay in a hotel. Morons.
I haven't actually seen the movie, although I did fast forward through it to see my house. You can see it when the car jumps off the Laurel Street lift bridge.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I lived in the Grand View on Harbour Island at the time, and it is shown in the very beginning. might even be the opening scene. It's kinda cool seeing your home in a movie.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Everyone from Tampa Sports was supposed to be in one of the club scenes -- Vinny Lecavalier, Brad Richards, John Lynch (he was still a buc at the time, etc) but that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is some serious cheese in some of it, but the special effects are great. Jhn Travolta is horrible. I like the ending.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I enjoyed it more than most comic book movies because of the lack of CGI. It made it much more 'real' if you will. Sure much of it was cliched but what movie isn't now?

Tampa was presented quite nicely I thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The movie was a bit of a blood bath, but it was good. I recognized the Tampa skyline and other scenes right away. My dad worked in Tampa when I was a kid. I grew up living back and forth between Jax and Tampa.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm sorry, but the movie was rated PG-13 and it's being described as a blood bath?

CGI Effects wouldn't have helped this thing off the ground. A better story and more legitmacy would have. Like I said above, the bloodless massacre of the Castle family said it all with the film.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think that it is great to see Tampa being cast for movies. I love the part of the movie that has the camera looking up at the Amsouth Building. Was J Trav ever in Tampa. Also, I thought they were only filming on 301 and then shooting somewhere else.

·
Two-bit Hack
331 Posts
John Travolta WAS in Tampa! His dog peed on my front lawn! No shit, seriously. There's a dude on the crew whose whole job, at least that particular afternoon, was to walk Travolta's little dog. In my condo's front lawn.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
John's a scientologist. He also lives in Ocala. I wouldn't think he hadn't been to the Bay area before. Or that he wouldn't want to stay longer than he had to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts