SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The random overseas pic thread

4K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Aussie Bhoy 
#1 ·
With Holland's impending Euro2008 duel with Russia I thought I would quicky get a few pics of the decorations in my street incase Holland would lose.....which they have.

My street in The Hague today June 21st

there are some really die hard fans in my street

See less See more
#5 ·
^^
It usually takes a couple of weeks for all the stuff to disappear. There is somewhat less care taken than with setting it all up so I expect quite a few broken flag chains hanging from trees and lampposts for the next year or so.

Still enjoying Amsterdam Miliux?
Wish the summer would get a move on :(

#6 ·
Business as usual. Winding down my uni work, preparing for European trip, going to gym regularly, signing up as para-legal back in Sydney.

A gym mate told me that there was a mini-riot throughout Holland because the Oranje were so upset about the loss from a rookie? Even more upsetting, that a Dutch coach committed traitor against his fellow nationals? Ahh...Hiddick, it's a win and a loss for him.

Yeah, what's with the summer. A friend said that officially the 'Summer' started this week? I thought the 24 degrees heatwave 3 weeks ago was it and now it's like a transition towards autumn. Flowers slowly dying, weather getting crappy and unpredictable....etc, etc.

#7 ·
Alot of dutch will now be supporting Russia because Hiddink is the coach. Guus is very popular here even though he was coaching the opposition the other night.

As for the summer. We usually go through this dip prior to summer settling in. The big question is whether summer will settle in because sometimes it simply dosen't and other years we get a hot July and August. Hoping for a goody this year......

#8 ·
It's a pity that the Dutch can't experience the weather like in Sydney. But it's funny to watch them on a heatwave. They rush to the nearest park, beaches or any public space that is not overshadowed, put some cream on, whack some meat on the barbie and try to get a tan on a not so hot 23 degree weather. Some would be brave enough to wear only swimwear on to get maximum skin exposure. Dutch modesty principle goes out the backdoor.

Even on weekdays the park nearby would be packed with pale skinned Dutch who only dreams on getting enough sunlight to get their skin cooked.

This mentality that they'll look at you as if you're sick if you stay indoor on a sunny day.

Sunny good weather? Call in sick!

#9 ·
LOL. After being here for 16 years I'm the same. I'll grab any opportunity to catch a few rays no matter how brief the window of opportunity may be.
Staying inside on a sunny day is simply not done here. You're right there.

This is my favourite beach. It's never crowded and the dunes are totally unfenced.
It takes about an hour to drive there from my home in The Hague
Back in May when we had our first taste of summer for the year. About 21 degrees :lol:

#10 ·
I went to Zandvoort aan zee a few weeks back for a beach party and i was quite depressed about the quality of beach. There is this lake in the middle of the sand for the kids to play, then surrounded with orange beach chairs. There is a Fosters beer store nearby and a surfboard/swimwear on opposite with a bloke wax on/wax off the board.

The weather is never hot enough to actually dip into the beach to swim.

They may as well travel to the sand dunes near Efteling and get some sun exposure without the cold and miserable sea water splashing around.

Dutch are so happy if you share the struggle in dealing with the constant overcast/rain weather. Usually they talk about the weather for a good 15 minute about how wet they were, or how it ruined their activities...then when you are as depressed as they are, they feel happy and relieved. A Brazilian mate told me that if a Brazilian talks about the weather in Brazil about how sunny it is, then they'll think you got nothing better to space and just want to fill the silence. Same goes for Australia.

#11 ·
^^
Zandvoort is a bit of a sad excuse for a beach resort unfortunately. The town centre itsself is nice but the promonade by the beach is awful. Shoddy, commieboks abound.
The dutch do like talking about the weather don't they. And they do like hearing about other peoples bad news too. Nothing like someones bad holiday experiences to liven up a party :lol:

#12 ·
Awesome pics. Damn the dutch choked again. Spain will prob choke too but i really hope they don't.

Russia are a dark horse, bound to happen, their league is on the rise (winning the UFEA cup consistently now).

Of course having said all that, the Germans will end up winning it. Them and the Italians just know what to do.

#13 ·
Went to gym at 3pm and there were only 6 people inside. Usually there are around 30-40 at that time. Asked the Jamaican guy why, and he told me "look at that window...what do you see?"

It was about 21 degrees and windy. Westerpark is once again full with Dutch desperado attempting to get tanned.

Meanwhile, the main pedestrian retail streets are packing up their oranje decorations. Just some alleyways and the tourist trips with the decorations still intact, but in poor condition. Saw some Russians with red jackets and Russian labelled caps having a time of their lives at the pubs near Spui this evening.

Anyways, here are some random pics just what the thread title suggested:

Taken a few weeks ago at Dam (Square). Playing football in artificial beach...

Same day, different angle.

Just a bar down the road...full of Dutch uni stoods... Oranje v Italy

They couldn't be happier...

#17 ·
It was bloody cold yesterday with a high around 1 degree with a bit of a breeze. Lots of frozen puddles for the kids to jump on.
Today was a couple of degrees less cold and wind still so that was ok.
The forecast for the coming week is for warmer weather creeping up to around 8 degrees.
I do hope we'll get some more snow and ice around xmas / new year.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah i can imagine. When i was in Rome for NYE, fireworks were launched everywhere, like in every district. Quite cool! Glad i left Amsterdam for Xmas and NYE though. Crowding around in The Dam in front of the Royal Palace is like...meh.

KIWIKAAS, did you do the icy dip in beach water for New Year's Day?
http://www.cctv.com/english/20090102/102147.shtml

It was cold enough for me because i was living in wharf Aan'TIJ! Eeek.

#23 ·
I travelled on a water taxi from home to uni in Rokin just for fun. In winter, i wanted to ice skate to uni. :lol:

If it gets icy, then i prefer walking than peddling.

I'm surprised that's its actually frozen. There's a 2-4 degree difference between outer city of Amsterdam and inside. No snow on tree to snow to snow on tree. Easily distinguishable when travelling past Prinsengract.

#25 ·
Where is the green zone in Den Haag? Is it in the district where Binnenhof and Peace Palace is? Or closer to the coast? Would be awesome if that moat surrounding the Binnenhof gets frozen.

LOL at the green zone. They should rename it to Grey zone (grey muddy snow) and White zone (snow powder). Funny enough the green zone extends to where coffeeshops are located in the parameter of inner downtown because of its 'artificial heating'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.