SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four words: The American College Test (ACT). High school students in Illinois are much more likely to take it than the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).

Doesn't the name itself, AMERICAN College Test, imply a nationalist edge? There is truth to this supposition: very few, if any non-Americans can gain access to the ACT.

Source: http://www.actinternationalservices.com/education/offices.html (Check out the Canada address.)

The opposite is the case with the SAT, whose far-reaching test centres, spread across six continents, are accessible to any non-American teenager wishing to take that exam.

Source: http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_code/codeSearchCountryRes.jsp

Let's extend ACT's and SAT's international policies into analogies: those who support the ACT are Amero-centric, since extremely few non-Americans take it, and those who back the SAT are globalist, since there is equal opportunity for teenagers around the world to take it.

Illinois is a steadfast ACTist state - why, all high-schoolers are REQUIRED to take it.

Source: http://www.act.org/news/data/03/states.html

Think of what this means for Chicago, the supposedly international hub of the Midwest: it is giving its high school students the message that America is superior to the world by forcing a highly jingoist standardized test upon them.

By contrast, the SAT is at its heart a worldly exam: it does not discriminate between Americans and non-Americans. Therefore, it can be argued that because Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco dole out such a globalist exam, they are more important to the world than Chicago is. (Not to mention their being situated in locations more suitable for international communications.)

But what of such cities as Seattle and Philadelphia? Sadly, they haven't yet emerged as clear world cities as according to that Alpha/Beta/Gamma list. But I am certain that once they mature, they will surpass the likes of Chicago by virtue of the SAT.

Of course, the SAT does not guarantee enlightenment. Just look at Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Texas, all Bush-supporting, quite Bible Belt-ish states for the most part (keep persevering, Ashville/Atlanta/Miami/Austin), yet they prefer the SAT to the ACT. Just so, I will begrudgingly admit that Illinois is a Democrat's state,though that doesn't necessarily mean liberal - just take a look at the downstate portion. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which also favour the ACT over the SAT, are the same way.

But those are the exceptions. It can be shown that the vast majority of blue states hold the SAT in higher regard than the ACT, and vice versa for the red states.

Sources:
http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2004/CBS2004Report.pdf

http://www.act.org/news/data/03/states.html

The conclusion? Either Illinois throws out the ACT and implements the SAT (preferably to 100% participation), or Chicago will never become a full-fledged world city. As it currently stands, Chicago is just "too American", as the great sean storm said.

P.S. If Canada and Australia ever were made to administer either the SAT or the ACT, I could only see Alberta and Queensland even considering the latter: I'm sure that Saskatchewan and Western Australia would think twice before ruining their world reputations.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Horace Lanando said:
Four words: The American College Test (ACT). High school students in Illinois are much more likely to take it than the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).

Doesn't the name itself, AMERICAN College Test, imply a nationalist edge? There is truth to this supposition: very few, if any non-Americans can gain access to the ACT.

Source: http://www.actinternationalservices.com/education/offices.html (Check out the Canada address.)

The opposite is the case with the SAT, whose far-reaching test centres, spread across six continents, are accessible to any non-American teenager wishing to take that exam.

Source: http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_code/codeSearchCountryRes.jsp

Let's extend ACT's and SAT's international policies into analogies: those who support the ACT are Amero-centric, since extremely few non-Americans take it, and those who back the SAT are globalist, since there is equal opportunity for teenagers around the world to take it.

Illinois is a steadfast ACTist state - why, all high-schoolers are REQUIRED to take it.

Source: http://www.act.org/news/data/03/states.html

Think of what this means for Chicago, the supposedly international hub of the Midwest: it is giving its high school students the message that America is superior to the world by forcing a highly jingoist standardized test upon them.

By contrast, the SAT is at its heart a worldly exam: it does not discriminate between Americans and non-Americans. Therefore, it can be argued that because Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco dole out such a globalist exam, they are more important to the world than Chicago is. (Not to mention their being situated in locations more suitable for international communications.)

But what of such cities as Seattle and Philadelphia? Sadly, they haven't yet emerged as clear world cities as according to that Alpha/Beta/Gamma list. But I am certain that once they mature, they will surpass the likes of Chicago by virtue of the SAT.

Of course, the SAT does not guarantee enlightenment. Just look at Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Texas, all Bush-supporting, quite Bible Belt-ish states for the most part (keep persevering, Ashville/Atlanta/Miami/Austin), yet they prefer the SAT to the ACT. Just so, I will begrudgingly admit that Illinois is a Democrat's state,though that doesn't necessarily mean liberal - just take a look at the downstate portion. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which also favour the ACT over the SAT, are the same way.

But those are the exceptions. It can be shown that the vast majority of blue states hold the SAT in higher regard than the ACT, and vice versa for the red states.

Sources:
http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2004/CBS2004Report.pdf

http://www.act.org/news/data/03/states.html

The conclusion? Either Illinois throws out the ACT and implements the SAT (preferably to 100% participation), or Chicago will never become a full-fledged world city. As it currently stands, Chicago is just "too American", as the great sean storm said.

P.S. If Canada and Australia ever were made to administer either the SAT or the ACT, I could only see Alberta and Queensland even considering the latter: I'm sure that Saskatchewan and Western Australia would think twice before ruining their world reputations.
that's nice, dear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Horace Lanando said:

'supposedly international hub? and what do you reckon challenges Chicago in that regard? Gary Indiana? Furthermore your logic here lacks substance put it into an if/then statement and it fails miserably..... IF chicago schools encourage students to take the ACT THEN it sends the message that America is superior to the world by forcing...... RUBBISH!

Horace Lanando said:
And since the exams have been around for a long time as have the cities you mentioned AND since Chicago has not been surpassed by the likes of Seattle, Philly, etc will you now perhaps consider your premise lacking in substance?

Horace Lanando said:
OK, now we know that you have completely lost the plot. Sorry but Sean Storm well, nevermind.

Horace Lanando said:
interesting way to compliment and slap in the face at the same time. i would pit the HSC (Australia high school certificate exam) against the SAT or the ACT any day of the week in terms of capacity to test for ability.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I'm almost speechless after reading that nonsense. This guy quotes Sean Storm to make a point?? That's just beyond pathetic. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its funny, when I took the SAT I thought the ACT was only for people who wanted to attend school in the midwest.

but, despite my bias against the ACT, I still think this argument is mostly rubbish. especially the insinuation that Blue states are somehow more worldly than red ones (not to say red ones are worldly). Remember, it is the Democrats that hold the protectionist trade unions.

and lastly, as a philadelphian, I think philly's problem is that it is TOO mature and is now in a process of reinvention. I mean, philadelphia was operating on the world stage when seattle was still a fur-trading outpost.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My god, people are actually responding seriously to this. My faith in people's ability to recognize satire dwindles by the moment...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
This sounds more like a case of bearucratic nonsence, not a mark of no class.

This thread begs the question, if Chicago is not world class what is?

·
Registered
279 Posts
JDRS said:
Chicago isn't a top tier city but that's not the reason why.

TRANSLATION....(in otherwords why someone from London felt the need to comment on this American domestic story)

Chicago jasjajnfdnfnbfwInginghbdbicbunoinicPWEMDCDMOEDOOeven if itKONINIii has lotsa jnnjgnjnrqwnfeiwKW

DAMMIT!!!!!!!! It JUST ISNN"T a WORLD CLASS CITY!!!!! Because I KNOW EXACTly what a WoRlD ClAsS CiTy IszZZZz!!!!!!!! And SSHHSSHHHiiicago is nottttttttt such a place....

Oh what fun....

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I don't think that's a credible explanation, though it's amusing. I took the SATs when I was in Toronto for high school, and it's true, the ACTs aren't available everywhere, certainly not outside the US.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Haha. That was the worst attempt at bashing Chicago- EVER. This comparison is way off and means nothing at all. Most Midwestern states require the ACT and encourage the SAT only. It is up to the student and his college requirements on whether or not he/she wants to take it. Also, the ACT isn't a crazy test that is obsolete by any means.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.