SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Plans in for high-rise Greengate flats 6 Aug 2015, 09:58 Jessica Swettenham Silverlane Developments has submitted a planning application for a 310-apartment scheme in Greengate, Salford. The scheme, called Norton Court, was designed by Jeffrey Bell Architects. The development will replace a surface car park near to the River Irwell and Abito Building with two residential towers, of 34 and 14 storeys, and includes landscaping and basement parking. The proposed scheme will provide 300 apartments, through a mix of one, two and three bed units, totalling 275,000 sq ft. There will also be 5,000 sq ft of commercial space. Additionally the development will link into the riverside walkway along the River Irwell which runs to the north east of the site. Indigo Planning advised on the application. Greengate is identified as the historic centre of Salford and is made up of a mix of uses, including industrial, commercial, residential and retail. The site is part of a wider residential-led mixed use regeneration strategy led by Salford City Council promoting 1,826 homes in the area over the next 15 years. Jeffrey Bell, director of Jeffrey Bell Architects, said: “The Norton Court scheme is an identifiable landmark development providing 300 residential apartments within the Greengate Quarter. A development that epitomises Salford’s confidence and creates a distinctive identity for this part of the city.” The application is due to be determined by Salford City Council towards the end of October. Other members of the consultant team include Royal Haskoning, Croft Transport Solutions, TACE and WML Consulting. - See more at: http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/plans-in-for-high-rise-greengate-flats/#sthash.R0fGEwCl.dpuf http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Norton-Court-Greengate-CGI.jpg

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I mean for Salford this actually looks bloody good at first appearances.
Very close to its 31 storey neighbour currently going up at Renaker's site across the way.
Mini cluster on the way.

·
Registered
11,033 Posts
Doesn't really do anything for me to be honest. The glass bit looks tacked on and from what little of the materials we can see in that image I'm not filled with confidence of their quality.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Overall it looks decent, but the side facing the river looks the most disappointing. Would have been better if the 'grid pattern' had been followed all the way around.

It might be best if we wait for more renders before giving a final verdict.

·
Charity-Spring
2,446 Posts
Purely because it helps blot out that shitty block with the marquees on the roof l insist it gets built. Seen worse proposals anyway, tbh.

·
Alex
1,110 Posts
Also, I would be intrigued to know at what height One Greengate has been captured at there....

Since if it is when the lower aspect of 21 storeys has topped out, then this building looks three times that height and should be around 63 storeys, which it clearly isn't.

Is this render making it look a lot taller than it actually will be in reality?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
^^^^

The No 1 Greengate image is captured at 21 floors.

However.............
can't believe I have to do this again.............
'but Dougal, that other building is far away... faaaar away'

1 - 20 of 1129 Posts