SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lack of info on the internet about the doomed Castle Vale estate in NE Birmingham (where 34 tower blocks became 2) has been discussed here before so I was quite excited when I stumbled across a whole pdf thang about it that I've never seen before - "The Rise And Fall Of Castle Vale, 1964-1993". I think most of the info from it has been used on the Wikipedia entry that Nacho mentioned a few days ago but there are also some really good pics!

Forgive me if you've seen this before:

http://www.cvhat.org.uk/nlnbook/chapter01.pdf

·
Registered
413 Posts
i could of done with that last year!!! i based a whole module on their describing the fall of high rise social housing

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
I wondered what had happened there- I remember going down the M6 years ago and seeing loads of tower blocks, but was surprised last year to see they were gone

Ive got a good article about the wartime aircraft factory in an old aircraft mag, I noticed on the A-Z most of the streets / blocks had an RAF sounding names

·
Simples
6,757 Posts
You mean the Spitfire statue i presume?

I like it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
suppose its better than the "public art" on show on islands along the dudley bypass i dont know what went wrong there!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
What about that pile of metal just up the road from the Spitfire Island (wihch I adore too) of what is supposed to be a knight bursting through a castle turret wall. That's disgusting. It just doesn't fit in. Lets hope Jaguar don't close down their plant there otherwise Castle Vale and such would like it's in a nuclear winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts