SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Spring '17 opening?!? Really?!? That's just over a year away ... It would be awesome, but I am very skeptical. They'd need to be starting construction NOW, and even then I have my doubts. If it is true, this would be a record for stealth! We've never heard about this one before... They will have had to get through all of the city approvals (and the loose lips at City Hall...) All of the financing in line, and all of the construction documents done ... all without a peep of this ever sneaking out.

All that said, I DO like it, and agree that it is a very appropriate replacement for the crummy buildings there now. I really hope they can surprise me (us) and get this going soon!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Spring '17 opening?!? Really?!? That's just over a year away ... It would be awesome, but I am very skeptical. They'd need to be starting construction NOW, and even then I have my doubts. If it is true, this would be a record for stealth! We've never heard about this one before... They will have had to get through all of the city approvals (and the loose lips at City Hall...) All of the financing in line, and all of the construction documents done ... all without a peep of this ever sneaking out.

All that said, I DO like it, and agree that it is a very appropriate replacement for the crummy buildings there now. I really hope they can surprise me (us) and get this going soon!
It sounds like they might already have all their financing taken care. Also this project has been in the works for a while from the sounds of it, they just have done a very good job of keeping it under wraps. This company actually has existed in the area for at least 15 years for those who have not heard of them. They actually have previously dealt with commercial leasing / development like strip malls and such as well as single family homes. This is obviously their first venture into a project of this size however...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Design wise, while not being super tall, I really like the proportions of it. it appears to be relatively narrow in the east/west direction, giving it a very cool, slender appearance in this view from under the LED fish. I like the gently curving west façade - perhaps a nod to the river. I also like the massing at the lower NW corner. A solid corner which holds down the corner at the street level, yet gives way to a much more transparent layer up above. I don't think I know anybody at Korb, but nice job!

Hoping some other eye candy views get released.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great to see something significant proposed on this site. I've known developers that have looked at it before, all passing for various reasons.

This is the kind of infill density that really improves city life... By the way, I've heard rumblings of other towers yet to be announced. Wish I had more info to share.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a happy surprise

Hey, long time lurker. Ex-Milwaukeean. I found this site and visit it in order to keep tabs of what's happening in my old city. I just had to post on this development. Back in the 80's (yes I'm 51) I worked in those crappy buildings for Fleet Mortgage while I was attending UWM. Those buildings were crap then, with the floors unlevel, etc. I hope they are replaced. The only thing good about working at that location in the mid 80's was going over to the Safe House and also watching 100 East and the Milwaukee Center rise.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If the link VVisconsin08 posted early now links to this article I'm sorry for the double post, if not here are some of the answers to the questions people have had about timing, funding, and approval process:

Developer: Proposed riverfront apartment tower to 'create a destination'

Greenfield developer The Ladner Group LLC is proposing the approximately $17 million development at 115 E. Wells St., next to the Bronze Fonz on the river walk. Company president Jason Ladner said he plans to demolish the two-story building on the property now and begin construction this year on the building.

Ladner said primary investors in the project are father and son Henry and Greg Tameleo. Ladner said he has a long history of working with the Tameleo family on investments. They have invested in several retail properties, and last year started their first residential development by buying, rehabbing and selling single-family houses.

The building design requires approval from the Milwaukee Plan Commission because it neighbors the downtown river walk. Pending approvals, construction could start later this year for an opening in spring 2017, Ladner said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2016/01/developer-proposed-riverfront-apartment-tower-to.html

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
23 parking spaces for 57 apartments?
That's a good ratio. Less parking means more people using mass transit and finding other means to get around. If Milwaukee can get it's retail in check and that downtown movie theater, there is really no reason you would need one.
There are also several parking garages within 2 blocks of the site. I'm sure a few of these offer monthly parking plans.

Edit: If this is starting any time after this spring, there's no way it's finishing by Spring 2017.

·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
18 stories isn't that large, I think it's doable. There is barely any parking. If the 12-14 story buildings can go up in Madison in that amount of time there is no reason that this 18 story one can't. This one is relatively thin too. Even if it's late spring they would have until June 20, 2017. If all of the funding is in place and the contractor has been chosen, and it sounds like it is all in place, they could get their approvals in February/March and break ground soon thereafter. That would give them a solid 15 months if they started in April

·
Registered
867 Posts
There are also several parking garages within 2 blocks of the site. I'm sure a few of these offer monthly parking plans.

Edit: If this is starting any time after this spring, there's no way it's finishing by Spring 2017.
There's that little parking garage that currently fronts the river but will be tucked behind the low part of this building, which I'm guessing is the event hall. I wonder if that could be expanded upward?

Also from the Bizjournals article:

Depending on the final building layout, its second or third floor will have offices with 20 suites that can be rented individually, with tenants sharing a receptionist and conference room space, Ladner said.
That's neat.

So, at 18 floors, this should come in at 200-250 ft. The renderings all show really favorable angles, but for reference that's about the same as the First National Bank building right down the river.

·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did anyone else notice the cool little patio out on the 9th floor. That space would be really cool to spend an afternoon out on overlooking the river. Having that glassy face along the river will really help bring that area up into the new century. Nothing that new has been constructed in the last 20+ years that will make as much as an impact on the river skyline than this will. I like how it is ever so nicely squeezed into the space. I think we will begin to see a few more proposals like this in the coming years once all of the Park East land has been accounted for.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

I don't think this was mentioned in the Business Journal article I posted, at least not initially. It kind of answers you questions about the timing of construction and city approvals in a little more detail:

The Ladner Group LLC., a Greenfield-based developer, is expected to close on the site at 107-115 E. Wells St. in March for an undisclosed amount, said Cory Sovine, of Colliers International|Wisconsin, the listing broker on the property.

Jason Korb, is the architect who has been working on the project since September. He hopes to have plans before the Milwaukee plan commission on Feb. 15. Construction could begin this summer.

http://www.biztimes.com/2016/01/22/18-story-apartment-tower-planned-on-milwaukee-river-site/

·
urban informant
669 Posts
I like it! - I kind of wish it had a little more color - Seems dull, maybe it's just the photos though.
It's an awesome location: Pabst Theater, City Hall, Safe House, Marcus Center, Red Arrow Park, Water Street ...

1 - 20 of 147 Posts