Skyscraper City Forum banner

:blahblah:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hampi - UNESCO World heritage site

If dreams were made out of stone, it would be Hampi, so goes the famous saying about this magnificent historical city, the erstwhile medieval Hindu Kingdom of Vijayanagar.

Hampi the 14th century capital city of the Vijayanagar Empire lies in the Deccan heartland, in the state of Karnataka, in south India. The ruins spread over an area of more than 26 sq. kms protected by the tempestuous river Thungabhadra in the North and by rocky granite on the other three sides.

The Location

A few monuments in Hampi

Vithala Temple

The construction of the temple began in 1513 AD by Krishnadevaraya, it was continued by his successors Achuta and Sadasiva till its destruction by Muslim invaders in 1565 AD.

Stone Chariot

Virupaksha Temple

The monolithic statue of Lakshmi-Narasimha

This statue was carved out of a single stone.
According to an inscription found here, it was executed in 1528 A.D. during the rule of Krishnadevaraya. This gigantic image, 6.7 meters in height, was mutilated and the figure of Lakshmi sitting on his lap was entirely damaged and vandalized in 1565 A.D.

Shivalinga

To the left of Narasimha image is a monolithic Shivalinga called Badavi Linga. This Shivalinga is fully intact and measures about 3 meters in height. The base of the Shivalinga is always under water.

STATUES OF LORD GANESHA

Elephant Stables

STEPPED TANK

UNDERGROUND TEMPLE

HAZARA RAMA TEMPLE

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can someone add a poll for me....I cant find the add poll option in the thread tools.

·
Premium Member
16,254 Posts
Done

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
This is the one place I want to visit in India, if nothing else. The landscape is as stunning and awe-inspiring as the temples themselves.

Though i see the usual suspects voted three

1 - 20 of 60 Posts