SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Scalpel | City of London | 190m | 39 fl

1283007 Views 2716 Replies 418 Participants Last post by  SE9
So as not to keep cluttering up the Pinnacle thread; W.R. Berkley in talks with Kohn Pederson Fox (KPF) to design a new 40 story tower on 52-54 Lime Street (27 Leadenhall Street). W.R. Berkley are currently based at 40 Lime Street opposite the Lloyds Building and Willis building and have bought the land.

July 11, 2012 11:30 pm
US insurer to scale up European profile - From ft.com

Do you reckon they might want to build this on the Pinnacle site? They say next door to Lloyds and I can't think of any other locations?

A large US insurer has struck a deal with the City of London to build its own skyscraper, underlining the rapidly growing presence of international insurers in the Square Mile.

WR Berkley, which has a market value of $5.4bn, is understood to have agreed terms with the City’s planning authorities to construct a 40-storey tower next door to the offices of Lloyd’s of London.

WR Berkley is among the largest providers of insurance to midsized companies in the US. The company is scaling up its operations in Europe, with offices in Germany, Ireland, Spain and Norway. The agreement to build its own skyscraper follows a flurry of deals by US insurers to expand their office space in the centre of London, taking advantage of the shrinking of banks, which have long dominated the City office market.

In January, Aon signed a lease on 191,000 sq ft of office space in the nearby Leadenhall building, under construction and nicknamed the Cheese Grater. Meanwhile, Markel took up a 51,000 sq ft pre-let agreement last month on Land Securities’ 36-storey Walkie-Talkie building.

The building would become one of five skyscrapers under construction in the Square Mile, which, in contrast to the low levels of development outside of the UK capital, has seen a spike in demand for new office space. The buildings are expected to capture some of the demand arising from lease expiries and breaks, expected to hit 3m sq ft a year in the City until 2017.

However, the City is undergoing a transformation in terms of its occupiers. Many of the large investment banks have relocated to Canary Wharf, favouring the wide floor plates and ability to have all of their staff in one building. The cost of office space in the City is also a big driver. Prime office rents in Canary Wharf are at £36 per sq ft a year, compared with £55 per sq ft in the City.

The departure of many traditional occupiers has opened the door for other industries, such as technology, media and professional services businesses.

However, it is the rise of the insurance sector in the City market which has spurred on letting activity during the first half of this year. A recent report from CBRE, the estate agents, said that there are 13 insurers actively searching for a combined 1m sq ft of office space in central London.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...86B0C220120712

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
The tower being proposed is not at 40 Lime Street but the building on the other side of Willis between it and Leadenhall Street. Whatever is proposed will need to deal with the St Paul's sight line that influenced the design of 122 Leadenhall.
It's to the left of Willis and not that tall.
My previous one is still accurate if it is going to be on 27 Leadenhall Street.
Again, that's not the right building, but the one that is going is similar.
I think that will be pretty amazing when you think that church isn't going anywhere.
It's going to otherwise become a canyon of dark glass and silver paint.
No idea what is going on in this render, but anyway.

We'll see what is proposed but yes this is where the lift shaft is located.

"Floor plates will range in size from 9,000 sq ft to 22,000 sq ft and are arranged around a side core located to the south of the building, which optimises floor plate dimensions, limits solar gain and offers views of London to the, north, east, west and south west."
I also fear that the south facade may have an ugly lift shaft enclosure , a la Broadgate Tower.
Not sure why everyone is suddenly bigging up the Willis, very much a product of its time and will be gone in a couple of cycles. That said, how this proposal relates to the new pedestrian space created by Willis will be interesting to see.
What a surprise.
Its not been approved yet just a certain other website has lifted news again without reading things right.
Exactly why I gave up posting news articles and photos a while back. So much news and planning applications out there that no longer gets reported here because they know why bother because when you do someone else takes all the glory a few days later.

Not to mention the factual inaccuracies that often crop up because the design and access statements haven't been read properly have damaged several planning applications when news articles are read by local people against developments.

I'm sure there is a lot of work behind the website (although from what I have heard it wasn't exactly an 'original' website in the beginning) but there's only so much goodwill you an give before you realise who's actually doing all the feeding.
It's the triangular space created between it, Lime Street itself and the Willis Building, as shown on the aerial renders.
This one:

I think they're going to shift it further to the east within the new alley that Willis created at its base.
The existing building has a large stone panel sculpture on its northern elevation at ground floor level. It's quite impressive (I've got a phot of it somewhere).
It would be a shame if this wasn't somehow incorporated into the final scheme.
Eventually, but there's other sites nearby that can house towers of a significant height
Could something be built on the fountain house site?
London's towers are hardly unconventional, damn right bland compared to some of the more bold and exciting proposals around the world.
Yep out of all the clusters Vauxhall is turning out to be an incredibly bland selection of tall buildings, bar Canary Wharf. I'd actually say it needs to raise its game, there's nothing to me tall there that says 'world class architecture' bar a couple of projects. Most of the good stuff is the lower end of the height spectrum.

London is perfectly suited for really pushing the envelope with regards to its tall building design. For such a creative city I still don't think it is pushing hard enough in promoting its incredible ability to adapt to whatever architecture is thrown at it and this diversity needs to continue. I'm more than happy to see London tear up the rule book and give us something completely different to what is expected of a skyscraper; it did it with 20 Fenchurch Street which is the most exciting new addition to London since the Gherkin and it can easily do it again. All these constraints need to be used to its advantage, as london lad said without them we would have 122 Leadenhall the way it is, we wouldn't have the originality of One New Change and its faceted roof line that actually brings a physical manifestation of those sightlines into reality, and in some ways the delicacy of the Shard wouldn't have been so pronounced without the challenge of placing a tall building in a historical city. The idea that we should revert back to bland shapes rather than using new technology to create whatever shapes we want is complete backwards thinking. Why can't we have buildings that instead of just going up go sideways, and back down in a different plot to the original? Or structures that cantilever over others, or are like thin petals that house bulbous floorplates above like flowers? All these things are what London should be exploring.
This argument always seems to come up and I just can’t see this wacky shapes taking over London. By far the biggest amount of towers around are blocks. Vauxhall has about a dozen towers planned, all are pretty much conventional blocks or rounded resi towers
Reactions: AUTOTHRILL
Seen quite a few around the Gherkin.
I know the angle of The Pinnacle is wrong, but I couldn't find a better image with the correct elevation.
Reactions: Vnofd5
Very annoying the small block on the corner of Billiter Street (the far left of the photo) isn't included in this scheme.

White sheet of death has begun to shroud the corner today.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.