SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
New Urbanist
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just what we bloody need! A new 'North Lakes' style city, west of Caboolture. Jesus, when will these people learn!!! :bash:

Get ready for more of this! How inspirational!

New "North Lakes'' west of Caboolture could house 60,000 people after State Government approves master planned area
http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...st-of-caboolture/story-fn8m0yu3-1226273382919

Moves to create a new suburb of around 60,000 people west of Caboolture/Morayfield have taken a major step forward with the State Government approving it as a master planned area.

Mayor Allan Sutherland described the Caboolture West Master Planned Area as "a major North Lakes-type of development that is half the size of Redcliffe''.

Moreton Bay Regional Council had asked for the site, which includes parts of Wamuran and Bellmere, to be declared as a master planned area under the Sustainable Planning Act (SPA).

Director of town planners THG, Tim Connolly, said his company had been working with several big developers to prepare a plan for the past couple of years, a process which had cost more than $750,000 to date.

Councillor Sutherland described the announcement as ``the biggest thing that's happened this term'' and followed four years of work and negotiation.

``The planning process now is going to be enormous,'' he said.

Cr Adrian Raedel (Div 12) said it would bring jobs to an area that desperately needed a boost, but caution was needed.

``We will need to ensure that its not just about driving the economy but there is also an environmental and liveability balance as well,'' Cr Raedel said.

The South East Queensland Regional Plan 2009-2031 designated a large area west of Caboolture/Morayfield as the Caboolture West Identified Growth Area.

In its 2008 submission to the SEQRP review, a group of developers called the Caboolture Investigation Area Consortium Group said about 60,000 people could be housed in just part of the area.

In 2008, developers including Brookfield Multiplex, Stockland, Heritage Pacific and Urbis, plus town planners The Heilbronn Group (now THG), Conics and The Continuum Group formed the Caboolture Investigation Area Landowners' Group.

Local Government Minister Paul Lucas is expected to make an announcement in coming days.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
from many visits to the area, I can tell you that the caboolture/morayfield is already fucked, let alone this disaster in planning.

since when has north lakes been something to aspire to? It is planning at its absolute worst. A 15 apartment block in in the inner city gets slammed for potentially creating traffic, but somehow a 60,000 population sprawling estate which will no doubt have to pass through morayfield/caboolture at some point to access the highway has almost no one crying about traffic? Dead shits.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Gotta put the boat people somewhere..

·
7,965 Posts
Very sad that this sort of shit still gets approved. I can understand rural-acreage allowances in places like this, but this sort of sprawl zoning is the anti-christ of this forum. The thing is - it still sells. Bogans love this shit.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
I would hate to be a commuter (either by car or train) from Caboolture when this gets up. I somehow can't see the existing road/PT infrastructure coping too well with this!

I have to say that I'm glad that I live in the southern suburbs, because what's happening with North Lakes and this really scares me! I know similar is happening with Yarrabilba and the northern GC areas like Ormeau and Coomera, but this sounds even worse!

·
25,199 Posts
^^It will be similar to what is happening in Yarrabilba etc. I think the mayors comments RE: North Lakes was so Joe Public could understand a bit more.

Needless to say it is a terrible idea, there is enough developable land between Caboolture and Brisbane without needing more further away.

·
7,965 Posts
But wait, let's oppose every proposal that gets put forward in West End where there are no amenities, PT, utilities already in place!!

·
opinions are my own
1,343 Posts
I can understand rural-acreage allowances in places like this, but this sort of sprawl zoning is the anti-christ of this forum.
the SEQ regional plan (from 2006) all but put an end to low-density rural res. by detatched standards, this is high-density living.

which will no doubt have to pass through morayfield/caboolture at some point to access the highway has almost no one crying about traffic? Dead shits.
didn't they just build a caboolture bypass, including a massive upgrade to the caboolture/bribie interchange?

·
New Urbanist
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Seven news flashback had a horrible instant community pro-northlakes/springfield/forest lake segment tonight.

Bulldozers have started clearing bushland around Yarrabilla for Lend Lease's new land release. Little boxes for everyone!!!

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
^^ Yeah, there's an information booth for Yarrabilba at the Hyperdome at the moment with a model of the first stage of the development.

I have to say that, out of all the ULDA's sprawl plans, Yarrabilba is probably one of the only decent ones as it's position, to me at least, seems to be one of infill rather than straight out expansion. It's squished in between Logan Village and Tamborine with greater Logan not that far away. There's already a lot of residential (albeit semi-rural) out there, and as long as there are decent public transport options (QR would do well to reinstate the Beaudesert Line IMO), it won't be quite as bad as some of the others have the potential to be (Ripley and Greater Flagstone are a bit more concerning!)

I just hope anyone who buys there is wary of all the potential UXOs from the old Camp Cable Army Base.

·
25,199 Posts
Yarrabilba is the most Greenfield out of all of them. I think it is made up of 2 or 3 properties in total and it is located no where near an urban area.

It is a stupid, political decision.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
^^ It's not that far out. It's all of 15 minutes to the southern suburbs of the Logan City metro area (Waterford West/Bethania) 20/25 minutes to Beenleigh/Yatala or to Crestmead and 30mins to get to Browns Plains. It's the better of a bad bunch as far as I can tell.

·
25,199 Posts
15minutes to the closest house and 25 miutes to the closest centre?

Ripley is adjacent to the existing urban area and 15minutes to the closest other major centre.

Flagstone will eventually have rail, is 5 minutes at the most from Jimboomba, and 15 minutes from Beaudesert and about 20 minutes from Browns Plains (The second worst only to Yarrabilba). It is also adjacent to a major employment precinct.

Caloundra South is adjacent to the Urban area and is within 10 minutes of the closest major centre as is Palmview.

Hell, even Caboolture West is adjacent to the Urban are and only 10 minutes to Caboolture CBD.

Yarrabilba is worst of all of them and it will cost a fortune to service it with roads, public transport, water and sewerage etc.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
^^ Yes, Flagstone will one day have passenger rail...but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen anytime in the near future. But for everything else, it's basically a dead heat. If the major employment centre you're talking about is Bromelton, outside of Beaudesert, it's not any closer to get there from Flagstone than it is from Yarrabilba - approx 30 mins a piece. Likewise with to Browns Plains, about 30 mins a piece from either (according to the directions on Google Maps). Both are close (approx 10 mins) to an existing, albeit currently very infrequent, public transport service to Brisbane (540 from Jimboomba 8 services daily 4 each way), which I'm sure will be increased in proportion to the demand.

As for Ripley, Caloundra South and Caboolture West, yes they are much closer to major centres and while that has benefits, it also has major downfalls – can Ipswich and Caboolture's existing infrastructure cope with tens of thousands of new residents living in the suburbs and coming in to work, go to school, shop, commute, etc. They are effectively funnelling huge populations into existing centres, and I honestly don't know if these centres will cope. Can you imagine people living in Ripley or (especially) Caboolture West and trying to get into Brisbane on the train with residents of adjoining, existing areas, for example? And then there are the people who will drive to the city...

Yarrabilba and Flagstone are different in that they don't connect to existing major centres, so all the infrastructure will be built around them, without relying on large portions of existing infrastructure of surrounding areas. Hell, the surrounding areas, Jimboomba and Logan Village in particular, will benefit from the new infrastructure built for these centres (PT, better roads, better water/sewage services).

I'm not saying any of them are really a good idea, but I honestly think that history will end up seeing Yarrabilba and Flagstone as being less of a disaster than some of these other ones.

·
25,199 Posts
Bromelton is north and west of Beaudesert, much closer to Flagstone. Ipswich also is the only SEQ council other than Brisbane to have more jobs in the city area than employees. It also has the infrastructure planned around Ripley going in. Yarrabilba will be 100% car based.

It is important to be near a major centre to avoid the new area becoming a dormitory suburb. This is exactly what Yarrabilba will become.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
^^ Closer as the crow flies perhaps, but as it stands the primary access routes to the area are still off the Mt Lindsay Highway, which means there's barely any difference in travel time.

As for 100% car based, I think it's far too early to make that assumption considering that they've only just started the ground works. Lend Lease haven't even officially revealed the development in any great detail. But the fact that even with the small population there currently, that there is some form of public transport already available to residents of Jimboomba and Beaudesert would point to there being more PT as the population increases. I could easily see bus links to Browns Plains and up to the trains at Loganlea via Logan Village (and possibly continuing up to the Slacks Creek Park n Ride) being put in place.

Hell, these services could also connect Yarrabilba, Jimboomba and Flagstone if they really wanted to. Flagstone to Loganlea via Jimboomba, Yarrabilba and Logan Village – probably an 45mins to an hour I would guess, dependant on number of stops and the route taken.

I guess we will see as these areas come online to see which ones will be the bigger disasters.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I agree with KJ. Yarrabilba is easily the worst of all the ULDA areas, with Flagstone a close second. They're nothing more than sprawl and Yarrabilba is never going to have anything better than buses servicing it (and who wants to catch a 45 minute bus to Loganlea, then a 40 minute train to the city?). Flagstone and Ripley on the other hand will have rail lines, which will be better (and it's far more likely to see a new train line to Beaudesert via Flagstone than the reopening of the existing line).

But really, they're both equally inaccessible as it as, but Nathan, you said:
Yarrabilba and Flagstone are different in that they don't connect to existing major centres, so all the infrastructure will be built around them, without relying on large portions of existing infrastructure of surrounding areas. Hell, the surrounding areas, Jimboomba and Logan Village in particular, will benefit from the new infrastructure built for these centres (PT, better roads, better water/sewage services).
and see, that's the problem with these centres. They will require all new infrastructure to be built out there to service them. Isn't it better to take full advantage of existing infrastructure and reduce the costs of development (and the long-term costs of living by placing residents closer to where they work)

At the end of the day, I would prefer projects like Northshore Hamilton were pushed through as a priority ahead of Yarrabilba - that's good planning, not just political point scoring with an influential developer.

·
New Urbanist
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ And all Northshore would need is a slight extension of the rail line (not even 1km) to be a full scale mixed density TOD suburb.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts