Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The oldest, most unique, big, beautiful city in The South is returning to the upswing once again. Being the oldest city in the South and having lived the routine pattern of city growth, leveling off, decline, leveling off, and growing, again, several times since it's founding in 1699, New Orleans is returning to the cyclical pattern of growth which occurs, on an average, in most cities, every 30 to 40 years. Being in New Orleans, it is interesting watching some of the newer cities in the South experience growth, with excitement. It's nice to see other cities in the South develop that rock solid base which takes years to develop. The South's "different" city, that stands apart, has it's own identity, and is beyond the age of envy, is about to become more dense. With caution and detailed analysis, local leaders and developers are sifting through many projects that will change the landscape of Downtown New Orleans, as we know it, in the next decade. Announced just yesterday, to no one's surprise that is involved with the business scene in New Orleans, will be a new condo that reportedly will be 700 feet in the local paper...truth be told, this tower will be closer to 800 feet. On Canal Street, next to Saks Fifth Avenue, will be a new medium height Four Season's hotel. At the base of the new hotel, will be an extension of the upscale Canal Place Mall, with new tenants such as Tiffany & Co. This new hotel will be approximately 350 to 400 feet in height. Along the Riverfront of New Orleans over the Riverwalk Mall another 750 foot hotel is planned that will cater to the $450 Million expansion of the New Orleans Convention Center, which will make that center the third largest in the United States. To cater to the changing business climate of New Orleans, another 900 foot tower is in the works, that will be announced in the next year, that will contain a mixed bag of condo's, possible hotel rooms, and 750,000 sq. feet of new, Class A office space. There is also another 750 upscale condominium development in the preliminary stages that will be around 700 feet, but, it's still in the incubator stages, from what I'm hearing in the business community. Word is that another 2,000 condomiums are in planning stages, but, exact towers aren't released, not even to local leaders, as architecture and height are being drawn out today. So, as the South's most dense city, and North America's 6th most dense city, continues to truck along enjoying life at it's own pace, it is accepting and enjoying a return to the growth pattern that will likely last for another 30 odd years, and then will level off, again, for a spell. Watch New Orleans...it already has one of the most dense, unique, beautiful, spireless skylines in the United States...it's about to unveil more unique architecture that is rarely seen in other American cities that tend to stare and copy other cities. For skyscraper lovers...this will be fun.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
I am glad to hear NO get something like this. Do you have any renderings?

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
Awesome news. It's good to read about a city growing and infilling, instead of sprawling and "leapfroging" out, as most southern cities tend to do.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Atlman1 said:
I am glad to hear NO get something like this. Do you have any renderings?
As soon as renderings are released to the media, I'll post them here. Since I have firsthand knowledge of these developments, I just wanted to give the board a "heads up," since this type of news is what this board is all about. If you follow New Orleans...you know it's there and what it's all about, but, it is an interesting combination of architecture, business, fun, and food all enveloped into one...but, it's still a big city and it's about to get a little bigger as far as the skyline is concerned. Remember this...no spires. We don't like spires in New Orleans. They are beautiful in other cities, but, down here, we like box...that's just the way it is in New Orleans. We don't like spires for our city. That won't change.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jasonhouse said:
btw, project info goes in the P&C forum, just as the sticky thread says.
sorry...still figuring this board out...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zigzag said:
The oldest big city u mean? Wasn't it founded in 1718?
Oldest big city...I know St. Augustine in Florida is the oldest city in America...I have friends that live there. My goodness, I feel like I'm being attacked by responses..

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And, New Orleans was founded at English Turn in 1699....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dale said:
Sean -

You say no spires. How about decorative tops ?

By the way, this is incredible ! Go Nawlins !
We like decorative tops in New Orleans on top of our boxed skyscrapers. Several of our skyscrapers have lights around them and one has a neon blue light completely surrounding it's top. Spires just don't fit in with New Orleans. It's difficult putting skyscapers in a unique, old city. One thing that city planners have stuck to for a number of years is no spires. They just don't work here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sean, I should would like to know the source of your information. As for Tiffany & Co., I'm sure Adler's will not be happy about that.

On the Four Seasons front, it would have been nice to see a tower built there that is the size of the recently announced Poydras Street tower. As I recall, the original plans for Canal Place called for that site to be occupied by a tower that would equal or exceed the height of One Shell Square.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts