SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many would agree that in the New South (which for this thread excludes Texas and Oklahoma), Atlanta is King. But what about the runner up to the Atl? Who is second major and what criteria do you use to determine this? Big businesses, population, growth and development, etc...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Atlanta isn't king or the first city. Though I do believe there are primary citys in the southeast, with Atlanta being one of them - Atlanta doesn't totally dominate the region. But Charlotte?

Anyways, you're new - so I understand, but this is a topic that gets peoples panties in a bunch every time & not that recently there were multiple threads discussing the same subject.

Welcome to the forum....

·
Registered
73 Posts
TheBrad said:
Atlanta isn't king or the first city. Though I do believe there are primary citys in the southeast, with Atlanta being one of them - Atlanta doesn't totally dominate the region. But Charlotte?

Anyways, you're new - so I understand, but this is a topic that gets peoples panties in a bunch every time & not that recently there were multiple threads discussing the same subject.

Welcome to the forum....
How could you not even consider Charlotte? Charlotte and Atlanta are probably the two most important cities in the south. Charlotte houses many of the biggest banks in the nation as well as many other big businesses and the city. THese businesses account for 3 trillion dollars of the U.S. economy.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
RWORKMAN05 said:
How could you not even consider Charlotte? Charlotte and Atlanta are probably the two most important cities in the south. Charlotte houses many of the biggest banks in the nation as well as many other big businesses and the city. THese businesses account for 3 trillion dollars of the U.S. economy.
Good for Charlotte.

Isn't transport important to? Where would we be without Memphis or Charleston? In fact, where would the banks in Charlotte be without Tampa or Richmond, among other cities, where the actual processing occurs. Charlotte is home to the corporate offices of two major banks, but much of the actual work occurs in other cities.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
TheBrad said:
Atlanta isn't king or the first city. Though I do believe there are primary citys in the southeast, with Atlanta being one of them - Atlanta doesn't totally dominate the region.
Exactly. You can't have a "second city" without a "first city". The southeast has at least four or five metros with a solid claim as top dog, and then half a dozen more on a tier under that. But nobody stands out so much that they could be ranked as we would rank NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
All of the big cities in the south are important. Atlanta has its media, and businesses, etc, Charlotte is big on banking and business, Houston is big on Oil, and energy, etc, Dallas in business, etc. Sure..there can be a "king" and "queen", but in the end, all of these cities are nearly equally important.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Including Houston (I think its the only big city in Texas that is actually Southern. Dallas is close, but no cigar).....

First Tier:
Atlanta, Houston
Second Tier:
New Orleans, Miami
Third Tier:
Tampa, Charlotte
and you could include in there...
Memphis, Nashville

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
MobileAL1 said:
Houston is first and Atlanta is second.
Ha, that's funny.
Anyways, he said to exclude Texas and Oklahoma.

Tier 1-
Atlanta, Miami

Tier 2-
everyone else

I think it's safe to say most people think that as well.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Buck said:
First Tier:
Atlanta, Houston
Second Tier:
New Orleans, Miami
Third Tier:
Tampa, Charlotte
and you could include in there...
Memphis, Nashville
Never quite thought of it that way, but I agree with you. That list make more sense than most others I've seen (including mine) :).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
JRQ said:
Ha, that's funny.
Anyways, he said to exclude Texas and Oklahoma.

Tier 1-
Atlanta, Miami

Tier 2-
everyone else

I think it's safe to say most people think that as well.
In that case, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, & eastern Tennessee should be removed from consideration - this area is under more influence from Dallas & Houston than Atlanta is.

Tier One:
Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Washington (due to influence over most of the central seaboard - VA, WV, eastern NC)
Tier Two:
Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans, Tampa, Richmond

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
ejohnson said:
I'll put the "runts in the race..................RALEIGH BABY!
Oh, no!!! Get ready for some serious debates :jk: That would be a bit bold, considering the competition. I was getting ready to post something, saying that I am so glad Raleigh is nowhere near the competition. There is hardly anything here to make us even a candidate :( Raleigh is a truly great place to live, but we have a VERY long way to go before we become a major candidate. With New Orleans, Miami and Atlanta in the competition it would be hard to notice Raleigh. Charlotte and Tampa are becoming more and more "important" (for the lack of better word) for the South's identity. Traditionally major Southern cities like Nashville, Memphis, B'ham, Jacksonville, Richmond are also getting increased amount of interest and will become more and more. Then we have cities like Norfolk, Orlando, and Mobile that also gain visibility. Not to mention Savannah and Charleston, with their rich history and superb urban fabric... I don't know, but there isn't much room for Raleigh right now... If we take the entire metro in consideration, then Raleigh (Triangle) has a great chance to becoming something major... in the future.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
---tie for #1miami,atlanta,houston---------
2.charlotte,dallas
3.tampa,orlando,san antonio,raleigh and some others

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
---tie for #1miami,atlanta,houston---------
2.charlotte,dallas
3.tampa,orlando,san antonio,raleigh and some others
Dallas should be in same tier as Miami, Houston and Atlanta though.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts