SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Galen Center rising ever so quickly, on Figueroa and Jefferson, and the Trojan moving there. The sports Arenas only tenant will be gone. So my question is what should be done with the old dilapidated arena. I say tear it down. But what should be put there? That question can be partly answered if the NFL comes back to the coliseum. IF it does come back I say something that’s of mix usage. Like the paseo Colorado and with a transit line going down exposition it would make sense. To anchor a new transit line with more critical mass @ a critical point. Also provide more for the SC student @ that end as well as something for the patron after the game, bars restaurants shopping. Similar to LA live, but not AEGized.

If the NFL doesn’t come back gosh darn who knows. I still say blow up the sports arena once USC moves out

·
Registered
11 Posts
I forgot to post this on my LA Live update (on my blog, http://5thandspring.blogspot.com/), but Tim Leiweke of AEG said that AEG will be working to secure a football team for Los Angeles, that the home will be the Coliseum, and they will work to develop the Figueroa Corridor from the Coliseum all the way up to the Staples Center. That entire area would be developed with restaurants, bars, retail, etc. What is that, a 2-mile stretch of AEG development?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Wow, that is some great news. everytime i drive past that area, i see it getting better and better. What would truely help, would be a street trolly from expo park all the way up Fig until Grand Ave Development, maybe tying into the Red car transit that they are proposing and linking with the Expo/Blue Lines as well as the Downtown Connector. I can really see this all happening, the changes and the actual city. great News.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would help immensely if the DASH ran later and they had special nighttime routes that connected where people live downtown to the restaurants, bars, retail, etc. that are open late. If they had a circular route that went from Gallery Row, to J-Town, then Chinatown, Music Center, 7th Street Marketplace, Staples/Convention Center, Fashion District, then back to Gallery Row that would be amazing and then I would never get anything done because I'd be out even more than I am now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as a tennis center they have a tennis center on the SC campus on hoover. Also A tennis center will not draw the proper amount of people to justify construction. I personally would love to see a mixed-use development with 25% low income housing. That has a grocery store movie theatre restaurants and shops there similar to paseo colorado. If this gets done then both ends of AEG's corridor will be anchored by mixed-use developments. But what 5thandspring said about AEG geting involved is superb information about Los Angeles securing a football team. AEG is smart about how they do things. Look @ home depot center its thriving by all accounts. So i Think they can work marvels for expo park and downtown LA.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A Museum Sounds Great!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.