Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
It appears as though this project is finally underway. The hoarding is up, but site construction will likely not commence until One Saint Thomas is complete. (There is no mention of a project website on the hoarding. All that is available is a telephone number). I will try to provide photos of the site when I get the chance. This condominium will be built across the street from One Saint Thomas(northwest corner) and the price range will likely be similar to that of One Saint Thomas. From the rendering posted on the hoarding, it appears as though this tower will not be as tall as One Saint Thomas, nevertheless, it will significantly add to the density of the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
There are three boarded up houses there right now. I've seen a few renderings and the building will look fairly good. I'll see if I can dig them up.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
IMO, not all low density housing from a bygone era within the core of a rapidly growing metro can or should be closed to redevelopment. In this case one or the other (townhomes or university apartments) would be satisfactory but not both (as is planned)

·
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay
195 Posts
The old homes are quite nice, but are in very very poor condition, and I'm not sure wether they are worth salvaging? I'm glad they have incorporated the university housing building into the design, though.

Not sure if they've changed the design, but these are the renderings from the architects website:

http://www.hariripontarini.com/

I actually think its a very nice project and will look very nice when finished!

This entire area will be full of brand new beautiful expensive condos, One St. Thomas, 77 Charles, This new project, and they're renovating that building next to the windsor arms too!

Very excited!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an old picture of the St. Thomas site that I found on another forum. The hoarding now has signage posted on it.

This is a rough development map that I put together. (The Yonge + St. Joseph Develpment is proposed. Although the exact site location is not known, I made an reasonable guess.)
.)

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
The old homes are quite nice, but are in very very poor condition, and I'm not sure wether they are worth salvaging? !

In what way are they in poor condition? They have been empty for a couple of years but look in excellent condition.

There are very few of these grand old Victorian/Edwardian brick homes left on the south side of Bloor in this neighbourhood. Slowly they are all being demolished. Also the lovely University Apartments appear to be headed for demolition. I don't think all brick Vics in the city should be kept..,. however in an area were there are darn few left, and wall to wall new condos on every corner, I'm thinking maybe they add a nice touch to this neighbourhood and would have been worthwhile saving. I like this proposal, but just wish the thing could have been planned for a different lot.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
I was kinda hoping another random faux-historic tower.. Those seem to work well in midtown. The hoarding says Minto boutique residences from $2 million.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I thought the building to the left was Mckinsey & Company's Toronto offices?
He's referring to the two buildings dead centre of the second render.

I think the building is nice, but will also miss the old vics. I've always been fond of Victoria's campus and the surrounding area. One of the nicer intimate areas of the University.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Looks nice but it fits in almost TOO nicely with the UofT building next door. I swear, this looks almost like a new UofT residence.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Prices are insane for something that looks like that.
Is it really though ?

I have no idea of the exact location, but it's in Yorkville, so already the price per sq. ft can be higher than most. Then when you consider it's 23 stories with only 50 "residences" - these 2 million apartments are probably pretty damn big, hence the million dollar price tag.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Yes and based on the lower portion it probably has great amenities.

One thing that worries me is the side we can't see. Kinda like 22 Wellesley with that big concrete wall. I hope that isn't the case.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts