SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Pringle Brandon Drew has unveiled its designs for a mixed-use scheme in east London including a 38-storey residential tower.
The scheme in Shoreditch will incorporate the remains of the Curtain Theatre, a Shakespearean theatre dating from 1577 which is believed to have staged the playwright’s work until 1640.
Staff from the Museum of London have already identified remains of the theatre as belonging to the Curtain."
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/pringle-brandon-drew-unveils-shakespeare-site-plans/5038021.article
Given the heritage asset here, it's sure to be a controversial one.
But it ticks alot of boxes for me. Going to the planners next month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the stage Shoreditch ..

Wow, just down the road from me, looks great too imo - in what is a fairly uninteresting corner of Shoreditch (if my memory serves me correctly).
Hope it gets the go-ahead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
curtain road

Thanks for those images; i took a walk around there today and at the moment it is a fairly run down forgotten corner of Shoreditch/The City so if it goes ahead it will be a real boost to the area.
There is also a fairly large corner site on the junction of Curtain Rd and Scrutton Street that has been empty for as long as I can recall - that is crying out to be redeveloped.
Fingers crossed, maybe they can take the very ugly NSPCC building down at the same time !

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for those images; i took a walk around there today and at the moment it is a fairly run down forgotten corner of Shoreditch/The City so if it goes ahead it will be a real boost to the area.
There is also a fairly large corner site on the junction of Curtain Rd and Scrutton Street that has been empty for as long as I can recall - that is crying out to be redeveloped.
Fingers crossed, maybe they can take the very ugly NSPCC building down at the same time !
Yes, that whole area should be transformed in the next few years. Couldn't agree more about the NSPCC building, but I've not heard anything about them moving (I've a family member who works for them).
There's also the multi-storey car-park/car wash on Great Eastern Street that could do with redevelopment.
But in the meantime, I note that talk has already started about starting a local campaign;
http://lovingdalston.co.uk/2012/06/bard-tower-to-rise-at-shoreditch-shakespeare-site/

·
39,721 Posts

·
39,721 Posts
Curtain lifts on open-air stage at Shakespeare theatre site in Shoreditch
Evening Standard
24 January 2013​
A new 250-seater open-air auditorium is to be built on the site of one of Shakespeare’s earliest theatres in Shoreditch.

The Globe Theatre and English Heritage are backing plans for a £250 million development that would also see a museum, public park and a 40-storey tower block containing 400 flats erected where the 16th-century Curtain Theatre once stood.

The theatre was built just outside the City limits in 1577 and was where Romeo and Juliet and Henry V were first staged.

The discovery of its location was announced in June after experts from the Museum of London Archaeology unearthed an exterior wall in a disused goods yard off Curtain Road. Developers have submitted a planning application to Hackney council for a mixed residential and commercial scheme named The Stage.

Architect John Drew of Pringle Brandon Perkins and Will designed the project for Plough Yard Developments. He said they were working closely with English Heritage and archaeologists to ensure historic finds are preserved in a glass enclosure next to a Shakespeare museum and the open-air performance space.

Chris Thomas, the museum’s director of planning services, said he was keen for the scheme to be approved so excavation work could continue. He said: “There are not many Shakespeare theatres so this is a very significant find.”

But some historians and residents have raised concerns. Marc Zakian, a writer who lectures at the National Portrait Gallery on Shakespeare, said: “While millions of tourists visit Stratford-upon-Avon or queue for tickets at the Globe, Hackney’s tribute to the Bard is a gyratory traffic scheme and a generic block of flats.”

Rachel Munro-Peebles, who co-chairs the South Shoreditch Community Association, said some residents felt the building was “out of sync with the rest of Shoreditch”.

The proposals are due to go before a Hackney council planning committee in April.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Loving the plan to make the Curtain theatre remains public. This is the top of the 'Ehécatl pyramid'. It was discovered whilst building Pino suárez subway station in Mexico City and integrated into the station so all can see it:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reactions: cosmictanya

·
Now Tamworth
5,862 Posts
1 - 20 of 377 Posts